White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 PM
WSI Prelate

In terms of pure talent, I haven't seen anyone of this caliber since Thomas offesnively. It is scary that he is putting these kind of numbers up with a k rate that is this high. He still hasn't gotten it together, but is having his way with it.

Folks, he is top 50 according to espn and top 15 according to fangraphs when it comes to WAR. THIS. IS. HIS. FIRST. FULL. SEASON.

If that k rate goes down, he will be one of.the best I have ever seen play the game.

With that said, boondock is absolutely right. He will hahw his ups and downs this year. He will slumpagain. He will blow people up again. I woilsnr be shocked if he leaves this series in the .300, only to be back to .260 in a couple of weeks.

He is streaky for now, but the greatness is obvious..

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Oh for sure. His ceiling is absurd.
What is his ceiling? I think he can pull a 40/40 if everything goes well. A prime Carlos Beltran
Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
What is his ceiling? I think he can pull a 40/40 if everything goes well. A prime Carlos Beltran
He's got some defensive work to do, but I clearly see 5 tools. If he maxes out, we are looking at elite baseball talent. Those you pay $200 million contracts to.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I mean he could pull a 40/40 this year theoretically if everything goes just right. His exit velo and launch angle are those of mega-sluggers, not the 20-25 HR guy we all probably thought he was before the year started. At this point it would be pretty startling if he played 150+ games and hit "only" 25 home runs.

And guys tend to run less and less by the time they hit their prime years of 26-31, so if he does it, it'll be in the next few seasons. Batting leadoff and getting on base as much as he does, I'm sure he'll steal more than his fair share of bases. 40 is tough to get, though, so we'll see. I actually think we're more likely to see 20/60 from Timmy one of these years. In addition to having blazing speed he's just really good at a lot of the finer points of swiping bases.

As far as Moncada's ceiling -- the guy gives me the same feeling watching him that I got when guys like Harper, Bryant, and Correa first came up. You could tell immediately that there was something special there. And the ceiling for those guys is top 100 all-time players. It's quite possible that Yoan becomes a guy that annually registers a .900+ OPS with a combined 60+ homers and steals w/ good D at 2B for the next decade. His floor is probably something like the good version of Ian Desmond, with more walks.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post

As far as Moncada's ceiling -- the guy gives me the same feeling watching him that I got when guys like Harper, Bryant, and Correa first came up. You could tell immediately that there was something special there. And the ceiling for those guys is top 100 all-time players. It's quite possible that Yoan becomes a guy that annually registers a .900+ OPS with a combined 60+ homers and steals w/ good D at 2B for the next decade. His floor is probably something like the good version of Ian Desmond, with more walks.
Call me crazy, Mike Trout tools to me. Same struggle with Ks as Trout when he broke in but the glaring tools right there on display.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
If he ever manages those Ks, oh my.
It may also torpedo his OBP by lowering his walk rate and causing more plate appearances to end with weak contact. I want him to keep doing exactly what he has been doing: working counts and looking for pitches he can hit hard.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
It may also torpedo his OBP by lowering his walk rate and causing more plate appearances to end with weak contact. I want him to keep doing exactly what he has been doing: working counts and looking for pitches he can hit hard.
That makes no sense. A strikeout already counts as an AB and against his OBP.

Putting half those Ks in play with his barrel ability and his speed would only mean more hits. Can only go up from there. He had a swinging bunt single last night on 2 strikes which was great to see.

Walks are good, but hits are greater. Especially with his exit velocity.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
That makes no sense. A strikeout already counts as an AB and against his OBP.

Putting half those Ks in play with his barrel ability and his speed would only mean more hits. Can only go up from there. He had a swinging bunt single last night on 2 strikes which was great to see.

Walks are good, but hits are greater. Especially with his exit velocity.
Not only that, the more contact he makes, the more reticent pitchers get in taking risks within the strike zone with him. Showing more consistency in getting good wood on pitches would actually help him increase his walk rate.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Between Moncada and the way Kopech is throwing at AAA and the great start by Basabe at A+- looks like a great job by Hahn in getting value for Sale,
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 04-27-2018, 09:10 AM
WSI Personality

Right now, he's hitting at an All-Star level as a LH hitter, below replacement level as a RH hitter:

As LHB: .302/.389/.683 with 28 K's in 63 ABs
As RHB: .167/.286/.250 with 12 K's in 24 ABs

Seems pretty clear he's much more advanced as a lefty than a right at this point. But hopefully all he needs is time. I'm drooling over seeing what will happen once he figures out his right-handed swing.

And no, I don't think it would be wise for him to give up on switch hitting. He probably hasn't seen left handed pitchers from the left side in years.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:14 AM
WSI Prelate

http://www.espn.com/mlb/war/leaders

38th in all of baseball in WAR.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Default e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
That makes no sense.
He may end up swinging at worse pitches earlier in counts and generating weak contact in an effort to cut down on strikeouts. He may stop taking borderline 3-2 pitches and forfeit some possible walks in an effort to cut down on strikeouts. I donít want to see either of those things happen.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Whoa this thread really turned into a Roman triumph overnight. Might want to tone that down until Moncada proves this isn't just a hot streak.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-27-2018, 09:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Whoa this thread really turned into a Roman triumph overnight. Might want to tone that down until Moncada proves this isn't just a hot streak.
You are right. I think it will do all of us good to temper our enthusiasm for now.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
He may end up swinging at worse pitches earlier in counts and generating weak contact in an effort to cut down on strikeouts.
Why would a player swing at worse pitches earlier in counts to avoid striking out? The best ways to avoid striking out are identifying pitches and cutting down on your swing with two strikes. He already identifies pitches better than most young players.

Quote:
He may stop taking borderline 3-2 pitches and forfeit some possible walks in an effort to cut down on strikeouts. I donít want to see either of those things happen.
No need to expand the strike zone if he gets better at spoiling two-strike pitches.
Closed Thread