White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Nobody was suggesting he wasn't the regular second baseman. You responded to a post that suggested he take a day off by saying that he isn't allowed to have a day off except in extreme cases. That's ridiculous. Regular starters are allowed to take a day off every once in awhile.

He plays through slumps, he's not nursed along. It's time to prove you belong.

Extreme? No, don't read more into it.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-13-2018, 08:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Moncada is only second to Gallo in strikeouts, and has a 10 day stint on the DL to boot. Not sure why he is struggling so much to make contact, but that k rate has to change. He can't survive at 35 strikeouts 30, maybe, but this is insane.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.

Last edited by guillensdisciple; 06-13-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Two more in his first two ABs.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 PM
WSI Prelate

His fielding has also gone. Obviously, this is mental now. Give him a day off, because he is struggling.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
His fielding has also gone. Obviously, this is mental now. Give him a day off, because he is struggling.
He mentally needs to sit and collect himself.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Here's a good article from April about Moncada's high walk, high strikeout approach. The TL;DR is that Moncada swings and misses a lot, and thereby strikes out a lot, but his eye is good enough and he hits the ball hard enough when he does make contact that striking out a lot doesn't mitigate his offensive impact nearly as much as it does for a player of, say, Gordon Beckham's caliber.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/yoan...ually-working/
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Moncada is only second to Gallo in strikeouts, and has a 10 day stint on the DL to boot. Not sure why he is struggling so much to make contact, but that k rate has to change. He can't survive at 35 strikeouts 30, maybe, but this is insane.

Oh don't worry about that because when he does make contact his exit velocity is great. Maybe next they can write an article about hitting below .200 is somehow acceptable.

He needs a reboot. Sox only have 2 off days in June so maybe in this case it would be advantageous to give him a day to clear his head.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Oh don't worry about that because when he does make contact his exit velocity is great. Maybe next they can write an article about hitting below .200 is somehow acceptable.

He needs a reboot. Sox only have 2 off days in June so maybe in this case it would be advantageous to give him a day to clear his head.
Oh for ****s sake, Mike Trout just won a damn MVP award leading the league in strikeouts. Welcome to 2018. It's okay to strike out, and I'd love to hear how that is somehow equivalent to saying it's okay to hit below .200. Stop being so ****ing hysterical, let the kid develop, and everything will be fine. This thread will be absolutely comical a year from now.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Oh for ****s sake, Mike Trout just won a damn MVP award leading the league in strikeouts. Welcome to 2018. It's okay to strike out, and I'd love to hear how that is somehow equivalent to saying it's okay to hit below .200. Stop being so ****ing hysterical, let the kid develop, and everything will be fine. This thread will be absolutely comical a year from now.

He will develop and hopefully it is in to the player that most scouts and teams think he can be. In the meantime I really don't think there's anything wrong pointing out that as of now he's having a rough go.

I feel like there's a lot of excuses being made for him and I'm sorry it's not okay for him to be striking out this much. If you're sitting on 23 HR's and 44 RBI's it's one thing. If you're hitting in the .230's with 9 HR's then it might be more beneficial to have a day off, clear your head, and start anew.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:04 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
He's not putting up anything special with strikeouts. Ops is approaching league average. Getting a bit tired of the excuses as well. Kid isn't good right now. We all hope he's going to be, but right now he just isn't.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
He's not putting up anything special with strikeouts. Ops is approaching league average. Getting a bit tired of the excuses as well. Kid isn't good right now. We all hope he's going to be, but right now he just isn't.
No, he hasn't been good lately. In his last 129 plate appearances, which have a DL stint in the middle, his OPS is .578. That's bad. In his first 125 plate appearances, his OPS was .877. That is very good. I think t it's rather absurd to be rabble rousing so much about his long-term future over a month's worth of at bats when he preceded it with an equally long stretch of being an All-Star caliber playing.

So, all I'm saying is that this bad stretch is not inherently more indicative of his future than his good stretch because it's slightly more recent. I'm saying that if anything, this suggests that he's following a pretty standard development path. He started hot because he's got tremendous skill, the league made adjustments, and now it's his job to adjust back. He's a talented enough player that it is completely within reason to suggest that he will adjust and that he will not be a .578 OPS player moving forward. So let's stop acting like that's what he is.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:58 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm also in the camp that I wouldn't mind giving him a day off soon, just so he can see from the outside (.138 average in his last 7 games). Interestingly enough, he hasn't batted 2nd all year, so maybe that could help.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Trout’s highest single season K rate was 26% and his career contact percentage is 80%. Moncada is at a 35% K rate and 68% contact rate. Those need to improve.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

The answer to the thread question is, No.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

I would slow the game down for him a bit- one day off a week (vs. LHP), and I'd have him hit lower in the order- 6th or later- simplify the game a little.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 06-14-2018, 11:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I would slow the game down for him a bit- one day off a week (vs. LHP), and I'd have him hit lower in the order- 6th or later- simplify the game a little.

On one hand, he's not going to improve his hitting right-handed if he sits even once a week against an LHP.

On the other hand, I still get what you're saying; he might benefit from watching the game.

Here's what I might do:

Once per week against a LHP, I would have Davidson start at 3B, Yolmer at 2B, and Moncada on the bench. Then, late in the game, I'd have Moncada pinch hit for an outfielder and then stay in the game as the defensive replacement at 2B, with Yolmer moving over to 3B, and Davidson either stepping out or moving to 1B.

Once per week against a RHP, I would have Davidson start at 3B, Yolmer at SS, and Anderson on the bench. Then, late in the game, I'd have Anderson pinch hit for an outfielder and then stay in the game as the defensive replacement at SS, with Yolmer moving to 3B, and Davidson either stepping out or moving to 1B.

Once per week against LHP, I would have Davidson start at 3B, and Yolmer on the bench. Then, late in the game, I'd have Yolmer pinch hit for an outfielder and then stay in the game as the 3B, and Davidson stepping out or moving to 1B.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Closed Thread