Old 09-01-2017, 02:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
So far these are the players being called up activated from the DL

Reynaldo Lopez - activated from the DL
Carson Fulmer - recalled
David Holmberg - contract purchased
I'm kind've surprised they didn't take one position player too considering the nagging injuries.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 09-01-2017, 02:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I'm kind've surprised they didn't take one position player too considering the nagging injuries.
There probably will be. Charlotte's season ends on the 4th. Delmonico probably comes of the D.L., Brantley stays, and they probably bring up one or two more guys.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post

Do call-ups have to be on the 40 man roster?
Old 09-01-2017, 04:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Yes.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Yes... but to be completely clear... they do not have to be on the 40 man before they are called up. But they have to be added to it if they aren't there already.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 PM
WSI Personality

So on September 1 when rosters expand, the Sox call up no position players with Abreu hurt. Then, Leury goes down with a hand injury leaving only 2 back up catchers on the bench. The Sox are forced to use Narvaez at first base, a position he has not played since 2011 in rookie ball. I know that the season is lost and we are in a rebuild, but is this how a major league baseball club should operate?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:24 AM
WSI Personality

Default Pathetic

There's not a post about last nights game, so I will make my comments here. Last nights game, on a very nice Friday night drew a whopping 13,585 paid customers, the lowest attendance in MLB last night. Believe me there were a lot less people there. I don't think they had 10,000 fans there. Maybe the low attendance was for the best. The game was PATHETIC. I knew this season was going to be bad, but it keeps getting worse. Hahn recently gutted our bullpen which was nothing but a big salary dump. The team now has a bullpen that features Bummer and Fullmer. I keep reading how good our Minor League system is and yet they bring up these 2 guys who can't get anybody out. It amazes me that the team keeps bringing up Fullmer. He couldn't get anybody out in the Minors and yet they keep promoting him. I think one of the great myths in this city is how much JR loves baseball. Bruce Levine in particular keeps saying that the only thing JR loves more than baseball is his family. JR might love baseball but I question as to how much he likes the White Sox. The team is at the bottom in MLB in wins, attendance and Tv ratings. The team and the franchise is a wreck. JR has no shame as he continues to laugh all the way to the bank.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
There's not a post about last nights game, so I will make my comments here. Last nights game, on a very nice Friday night drew a whopping 13,585 paid customers, the lowest attendance in MLB last night. Believe me there were a lot less people there. I don't think they had 10,000 fans there. Maybe the low attendance was for the best. The game was PATHETIC. I knew this season was going to be bad, but it keeps getting worse. Hahn recently gutted our bullpen which was nothing but a big salary dump. The team now has a bullpen that features Bummer and Fullmer. I keep reading how good our Minor League system is and yet they bring up these 2 guys who can't get anybody out. It amazes me that the team keeps bringing up Fullmer. He couldn't get anybody out in the Minors and yet they keep promoting him. I think one of the great myths in this city is how much JR loves baseball. Bruce Levine in particular keeps saying that the only thing JR loves more than baseball is his family. JR might love baseball but I question as to how much he likes the White Sox. The team is at the bottom in MLB in wins, attendance and Tv ratings. The team and the franchise is a wreck. JR has no shame as he continues to laugh all the way to the bank.

Lopez had a quality start and the team is in the running for the #1 pick. "Mired in mediocrity" no more -- this team will bounce back strong in 2019. Things are going according to plan.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:39 AM
WSI Prelate

It makes no sense - NONE - to call up a full complement of 40 players right now.

We need those roster spots this offseason. If you add someone to the roster, you later have to expose them if you want to add someone else.

I swear, some people must ONLY look at the TV or the box scores, because they have zero understanding of the big picture.

At the risk of being completely callous, so what if Narvaez has to play a few innings at first base? Even if he gets hurt, like the freak injury to Toby Hall a decade ago, he's a backup catcher at best. Statistically he's more likely to get hurt catching than playing first.

This season - and 2018 - is about developing young players. And we have a lot of them and they need innings and at bats.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Lopez had a quality start and the team is in the running for the #1 pick. "Mired in mediocrity" no more -- this team will bounce back strong in 2019. Things are going according to plan.
Exactly! Lopez, Giolito and Rodon pitching this weekend alone ought to make things interesting.

And let Fulmer start, too. He needs innings to work through his issues, and there aren't any more innings to be had in Charlotte after this weekend.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Just to be clear, you're bitching about the bullpen after a game where they gave up 1 hit and no walks and no runs in three innings, and you don't say a word about the good start by one of our prized prospects? Really?

I don't want to go again into how silly the whole "salary dump" argument is, I'm just curious what's more useful - a few more decent middle relievers in a pointless season, or somebody (anybody!) who can contribute to a contending team in a few yeas?
Old 09-02-2017, 10:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
So true. It's amazing how some posters just don't "get it".

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 09-02-2017, 10:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I don't want to go again into how silly the whole "salary dump" argument is
Some people just need to pretend that management is evil and cares about money and nothing else...
Old 09-02-2017, 12:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
It makes no sense - NONE - to call up a full complement of 40 players right now.

We need those roster spots this offseason. If you add someone to the roster, you later have to expose them if you want to add someone else.

I swear, some people must ONLY look at the TV or the box scores, because they have zero understanding of the big picture.

At the risk of being completely callous, so what if Narvaez has to play a few innings at first base? Even if he gets hurt, like the freak injury to Toby Hall a decade ago, he's a backup catcher at best. Statistically he's more likely to get hurt catching than playing first.

This season - and 2018 - is about developing young players. And we have a lot of them and they need innings and at bats.
Great post. I think there's just a lack of understanding of things like the 40 man roster, service time, etc. for a lot of people. That's understandable, because those things are not understood by or interesting to a lot of fans. But it also seems like folks who don't think about those aspects are the loudest.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."