And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2017, 12:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
My first reaction to calling up Fulmer was negative but he could probably use the confidence boost of management telling him they still believe in him right about now.

The only "prospect" I am interested in seeing is Jake Peter. Other than that you bring up some middling guys just for some bench depth. Brantley at catcher. Peter in the infield. May in the outfield. Holmberg for another bullpen lefty. Fulmer for a righty. I suppose Goldberg maybe but boy was he unimpressive. But mainly I think you bring Lopez, Delmonico, and maybe Moncada (what's the most recent word on him?) off the D.L. without sending anyone down. That will give you plenty of depth right there to give guys a much needed September breather.
I agree on Prter. He's really done well, plays just about everywhere, and in my mind has forced himself into the conversation of being on the team. I'd like to see what he can do in the big leagues. He's a candidate to take Saladino's role.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
My first reaction to calling up Fulmer was negative but he could probably use the confidence boost of management telling him they still believe in him right about now.
Well, they did provide this vote of confidence by giving him that one start a few weeks back. He truly did not deserve getting the call for that.

And he totally crapped that start.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The problem with that is that May, Fulmer, Danish, and Goldberg all suck.
That hasn't exactly been a deal-breaker this season.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The problem with that is that May, Fulmer, Danish, and Goldberg all suck. I don't see the point in calling any of them up.
I think the point of calling a couple of them up would be to make sure they don't overtax anybody. Rodon missed the first half of the season. Lopez is just coming off the DL. The Sox want those guys to get some innings, I'm sure, but not too many innings.

You add a couple more pitchers, and sure, they might be cannon fodder, but they'd probably fit right in on a staff where most of these guys have no business in the major leagues.

There's another 270 to 280 innings to cover this season, and you want to cover them without getting anybody injured.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-31-2017, 02:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Well, they did provide this vote of confidence by giving him that one start a few weeks back. He truly did not deserve getting the call for that.

And he totally crapped that start.
I don't want Fulmer called up in September just to get his brains bashed in- and he doesn't deserve it based on his results- he needs to come back in spring training, go back in the Charlotte rotation for 2018 to get as many innings as possible to address his command issues, etc.- then he can start to be developed as a reliever which is the only way he'll become a part of the Sox future.

Same goes for Danish-except maybe he goes to the bullpen in Charlotte immediately.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-31-2017, 03:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I don't want Fulmer called up in September just to get his brains bashed in- and he doesn't deserve it based on his results- he needs to come back in spring training, go back in the Charlotte rotation for 2018 to get as many innings as possible to address his command issues, etc.- then he can start to be developed as a reliever which is the only way he'll become a part of the Sox future.

Same goes for Danish-except maybe he goes to the bullpen in Charlotte immediately.
That makes sense.
Although while Danish et al are bad, so are Petricka and Beck.
And, frankly, if it came down to a 40 man crunch, I'd take them over Petricka and Beck.
And is May any worse than Engel?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
And is May any worse than Engel?
Yes, both offensively and defensively. Neither one of them is a capable major-league hitter, but at least Engel has the defensive chops to be a 4th or 5th outfielder.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
Yes, both offensively and defensively. Neither one of them is a capable major-league hitter, but at least Engel has the defensive chops to be a 4th or 5th outfielder.
Engel's defense is top notch, his hitting needs an infusion.

Fulmer comes up now b/c it is time ot find out what he is made of.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-31-2017, 09:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox are auctioning pre-game photo opportunities with Eloy Jimenez for Sept. 5 and Michael Kopech for Sept. 6. Hmmm.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF
The Sox are auctioning pre-game photo opportunities with Eloy Jimenez for Sept. 5 and Michael Kopech for Sept. 6. Hmmm.
Nothing more than a meet-and-greet with two players who have no more minor league games left to play this year.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:52 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Engel's defense is top notch, his hitting needs an infusion.

Fulmer comes up now b/c it is time ot find out what he is made of.
Agreed. Regarding Fulmer, we are getting pretty close to his Joe Borchard moment: sad dawning of reality vs. expectorations. So lets find out.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:16 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Agreed. Regarding Fulmer, we are getting pretty close to his Joe Borchard moment: sad dawning of reality vs. expectorations. So lets find out.
I'm hearing talk that the Sox have now given up on him officially as a starter, we'll see. That hasn't been released publicly of course.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Doesn't sound like Moncada's return is imminent. I was hoping to see him back in the line-up this weekend.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Doesn't sound like Moncada's return is imminent. I was hoping to see him back in the line-up this weekend.
I saw a possible return the last two weeks of September, but I honestly wouldn't mind if he sat the whole thing out. Health is more important. He's got all of 2018 to get experience.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-01-2017, 12:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I saw a possible return the last two weeks of September, but I honestly wouldn't mind if he sat the whole thing out. Health is more important. He's got all of 2018 to get experience.

True. I was being selfish. I have tickets to Monday's game and was hoping to see him play.