And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
I bet those fans have a lot of fond memories of those teams regardless.

I look back on the '06 Sox, and remember the murderer's row of Dye, Konerko and Thome we had, and the absurd amount of bombs they hit. Prime South Side Lumber Company stuff. I loved watching that team, even if they collapsed in the second half.

I look back on the '08 Sox, and remember TCQ's meteoric rise and heroics, I remember Gavin Floyd teasing no-hitters and perfect games, I remember Alexei Ramirez, grand slam machine. I remember the electricity of the Blackout game, from Griffey throwing out Cuddyer at the plate to Anderson's diving catch to end it. I loved that team.

It's fun to watch winning baseball. When those teams lost, I didn't suddenly do a 180, and just decide that they were losers all along after all. Teams that come up short matter.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Nothing embarrassing or unwatchable about sweeping Houston.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:30 AM
WSI Personality

Agree

Quote:

I look back on the '06 Sox, and remember the murderer's row of Dye, Konerko and Thome we had, and the absurd amount of bombs they hit. Prime South Side Lumber Company stuff. I loved watching that team, even if they collapsed in the second half.

I look back on the '08 Sox, and remember TCQ's meteoric rise and heroics, I remember Gavin Floyd teasing no-hitters and perfect games, I remember Alexei Ramirez, grand slam machine. I remember the electricity of the Blackout game, from Griffey throwing out Cuddyer at the plate to Anderson's diving catch to end it. I loved that team.

It's fun to watch winning baseball. When those teams lost, I didn't suddenly do a 180, and just decide that they were losers all along after all. Teams that come up short matter.

I also wanted to quote this as it sums up my sentiments on this topic as well. There are myriad reasons why I love the Sox. I am not all or nothing with my fandom depending on the result of the season. My love is unconditional. I am upset when they play lousy, I'm jubilant when they play great. However, I always remember that baseball is just a game. That usually allows the pain of a tough loss to subside and to look forward to the next game.

I remember the last night game at old comiskey park, I have the old grey and white ticket stub encased in lucite. I remember the policemen mounted on horseback circling the warning track right after the game and Tom Paciorek's giant face on the Jumbotron warning fans to not storm the field to take a souvenir.

I remember catching a searing line drive off the bat of the rays Gabe Kapler in section 138 in 2009, giving it to the crying kid in front of me...and putting a smile on the face of the girl I was on a date with. A guy a few rows back bellowed "hey man you deserve to get lucky tonight for that one!!" in a perfect Superfans-esque Chicago accent.

I remember Greg Vaughn of the Brew-crew messing with me in batting practice in 1993 fake throwing me a ball from the left field foul line and quickly putting it in his back pocket and walking away. I put my head down and sulked and pouted. My dad yells "look up!!!" - but it was too late, the ball bounced off my head and landed back into the field of play. Vaughn had thrown it over his head without looking from 20 feet away right to me (with major league precision, what accuracy!)

These are just a few of the dozens of memories that I will cherish forever. None of them have to do with the team winning. It's those moments and memories that happen at the ball park that I always cherish. I am looking forward to creating new memories one day when I have kids
Old 08-13-2017, 11:25 PM
WSI High Priest

An interesting question I have been pondering lately: what pitchers whose contracts are up do we bring back for next year? I've only included FA/Arb pitchers here.

Mike Pelfrey: do we want a guy who can be a spot starter and eat innings as a long reliever (3-5)? If he's willing to sign for the veteran minimum and pitch a lot of innings in 2018, we may have a spot for him. I don't want guys who have a big part of our future blowing out their arms throwing extra innings.

Miguel Gonzalez: he'll get an offer to come back. We aren't going to go out to FA or have enough younger guys to bring up to fill the entire rotation especially to start the year.

Derek Holland: he may be in the same boat as Pelfrey because I don't know if he'll be able to be a regular starter for us. The money has to be right for us, but it could help to have a veteran pitcher like him around. Unless he can drop his ERA a bit and eat more innings, he can't really start for us because we need guys who can go at least 5-6 innings and he is struggling to go 5 right now.

Jake Petricka (Arb): something tells me we will agree on a contract bringing him back before going to arbitration. His stats have been awful this year, but hopefully we see more of what we have his last few appearances and when he came back in July than giving up 2 or 3 runs here or there.

Zach Putnam (Arb): he'll be back. Hopefully he recovers nicely.

Carlos Rodon (Arb): no chance in heck he isn't coming back and helping anchor our rotation for the next few years.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Yep. I remember how much fun I was having watching Kevin Youkilis on the 2012 team.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Completely agree- for me I would put 1972, 1977, and 1990 on the list of really fun seasons even though we didn't make it to the post season, etc.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

Thank you. I still enjoy moments this season as expectedly bad as it's been. I don't weigh my love of a game/season/moment on whether that team won the championship in any sport. It's nice but it's not expected and even great teams don't win it all because there are always other great teams out there.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-14-2017, 12:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Lip, you know I agree with you on this subject, based on numbers a MLB team will win a WS every 30 years or so(for us it's come out to every 38 years). The next best thing is getting to the post-season and next is having a winning team, playing over .500 usually means that games played in August are more than likely to have some meaning and keeps the fans interested with the chance of getting hot and getting to the post-season. Just look at the lack of interest the last 5 years here at WSI with all the losing, we haven't had an in game thread in ages, sometimes there isn't a Postgamer. As a long time White Sox fan I'm almost as proud as those 17 straight winning seasons we had in the 50's and 60's as I am our WS Championship in 2005. Winning Baseball is not meaningless.
No, it is not meaningless, and it seems bizarre that it would need to be said.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell