Catcher
24. K. Smith/Veteran FA?
25. Narvaez
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 PM
WSI Personality

Default Idk

Idkwh....we are so much better than the royals. Try again tomorrow. Still in the race.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:01 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
Idkwh....we are so much better than the royals. Try again tomorrow. Still in the race.
Yes but the thing that keeps me up at night is will this bullpen collapse in KC reverberate and throw the rest of our season off course.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
I think you are overly optimistic.

Luis Robert will not be on the team next year unless he turns out to be superman. 2020, perhaps 2019, is more realistic.

James Shields will be in the rotation in 2018.

Kevin Smith can hit but is not a particularly good catcher. Can't remember the last time I've seen so many White Sox pitchers shake off a catcher so often.

Left Field, DH, and the last two starting spots in the rotation are big question marks. The entire bullpen is a question mark. CF will be manned by a L.Garcia or Adam Engel. The first of whom may well regress and the second of whom may never hit consistently.

This team will be bad in 2018 but hopefully with exciting sparks like the last few days.

This team will be better in 2019 as a few quality prospects (Kopech, Jiminez, maybe others) arrive but will still have major holes and a losing record.

This team might surprise in 2020 but will be full of rookies and second year players. But it should be competitive and very exciting on a nightly basis regardless of record. A winning record and maybe a wild card spot seem optimistic but reasonable to me... if everything goes right.

Most of the prospects in A/A+ won't be ready until 2020 and then will have to adjust to the higher level of competition and talent in the major leagues. The pitching should start getting better 2018-2019 though as most of those prospects are in AAA and AA and the two best guys in A+ may move a little faster.

But as we saw with Lopez last night there will be plenty to get excited about as these guys start to trickle in one by one until the flood in 2020.
I agree that next year probably still isn't going to be much of anything, but I think there's reason at this point to be hopeful of 2019. The Cubs and Astros, the last two teams to follow this type of rebuild blueprint, have shown that when there is a large glut of prospects of this quality, things can come together quickly. Prospects of the caliber of Bryant, Correa, McCullers, and Schwarber often arrive at the major leagues close to finished products, and I could see a scenario where some combination of Kopech or Jimenez or Robert or Lopez or Hansen and a more experienced Anderson/Moncada/Rodon are already high level players in 2019 who might be good enough to compete.

Look at the player Kopech is often compared to - Noah Syndergaard. After dominating AA, he spent a year in AAA before coming up to throw 150 innings of a 3.24 ERA in 2015. This is the upside we're talking about. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's possible.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:39 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Old 08-13-2017, 01:41 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Yes but the thing that keeps me up at night is will this bullpen collapse in KC reverberate and throw the rest of our season off course.
Trading Melky was obviously a HUGE mistake. JR waving the white flag again when the Sox are right smack dab in the thick of things...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-13-2017, 05:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Look at the player Kopech is often compared to - Noah Syndergaard. After dominating AA, he spent a year in AAA before coming up to throw 150 innings of a 3.24 ERA in 2015. This is the upside we're talking about. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's possible.
Let's hope Kopech learns from Syndergaard's mistakes.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-13-2017, 12:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Question-
Do they continue the trend and dump Abreu for a bunch of prospects, or do they have him become the big money/face of the franchise guy?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr View Post
Question-
Do they continue the trend and dump Abreu for a bunch of prospects, or do they have him become the big money/face of the franchise guy?
IMO depends on what's being asked for, what the Sox feel their realistic window is, and whether the Sox think they can/will want to resign him in his FA year in 2020, when he'll be 33.

I think it's likely he's held onto through the offseason, and maybe through the 2018 deadline.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr View Post
Question-
I suspect Abreu is the one guy most assured of staying. Everyone else can and will go for the highest price obtainable.

I suspect that Avi Garcia and Matt Davidson get traded once guys like Eloy Jiminez and Jake Burger show up. There is currently no replacement available for Tim Anderson, now or in the future, and they made it clear he was the first piece in the rebuild so I suspect they hang on to him for awhile too. If he works out great! If not then they have a couple years of drafts available to find someone to replace him. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them draft a SS in the first round this year or next. It is currently an organizationally thin position regardless of what Anderson does.

Rodon has Boras for an agent and may well go free agent in a few years. Once the young pitching arrives the Sox may trade him pre-free agency. Love to see him stay but wouldn't surprise me in the least if he gets traded just as things are getting good.

Everyone else is expendable. So I really think Abreu is the one guy that is guaranteed to stay. He provides leadership, star power, the Cuban connection, and will still be young enough to be the experienced and capable veteran the young guys are built around.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM
WSI Personality

Default ???

Idkwh...worst lost ever...this team is too talented to lose game and series to royals. Look at all of the guys who weren't good enough to make this team : sale, Eaton, quintana, mcabrera, Robertson,...

Maybe we were drunk or looking ahead. Dont dwell on today. We start a big series.,Best team in MLB vs best team in National Legal))loll
Old 08-13-2017, 09:36 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Idkwh...worst lost ever...this team is too talented to lose game and series to royals. Look at all of the guys who weren't good enough to make this team : sale, Eaton, quintana, mcabrera, Robertson,...

Maybe we were drunk or looking ahead. Dont dwell on today. We start a big series.,Best team in MLB vs best team in National Legal))loll
Every now and then I wonder what if we had just replaced Robin Ventura a few years ago, and built on what we had players.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Every now and then I wonder what if we had just replaced Robin Ventura a few years ago, and built on what we had players.
It was more than just the field manager that needed changing.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 PM
WSI Personality

18.5 & 14
Old 08-15-2017, 03:40 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
It was more than just the field manager that needed changing.
Well, that other guy was pointing out that the White Sox have shed some high caliber talent since starting the rebuild, and that is true. I see Sale is possibly going to get the Cy this year? Other teams did not drain their farms for low value players in return. So yeah, when Robin was running the show, there were many reason to question why.