White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2003, 10:33 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Default WSI celebrity chat

The second edition of the WSI celebrity chat will be on March 9th at 7:00 PM CST,our guest will be BA/ESPN.com/Tribune columnist Phil Rogers.

As we did with the previous celebrity chat,you can send your questions for Phil to celebritychat@whitesoxinteractive.com
We will,of course, edit out duplicate questions. We ask that you title your e-mail "Question for Phil Rogers" in your e-mail.

I will leave this thread open if you have any questions concerning the chat,if you don't wish to ask your question in the forums feel free to e-mail me.

As always,we thank you for your support.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Will the chatroom be able to handle more users this time around or most of us going to have to wait for a transcript again?
Old 03-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Will the chatroom be able to handle more users this time around or most of us going to have to wait for a transcript again?
There is nothing wrong with the chatroom and there is no limit on the number of users. The problem was on your end. Do you have a Java Virtual Machine installed on your system? If not, go here:

Get a JVM

If you still can't get in, reboot. Your computer may be hosed up. Still can't get in? Try turning your firewall off. You may be blocking the necessary ports.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
There is nothing wrong with the chatroom and there is no limit on the number of users. The problem was on your end. Do you have a Java Virtual Machine installed on your system? If not, go here:

Get a JVM

If you still can't get in, reboot. Your computer may be hosed up. Still can't get in? Try turning your firewall off. You may be blocking the necessary ports.
No, kermit's right, it was on your end. I have a very updated computer with all of those components and the chatroom wasn't loading. I've been able to get into it in the past, so I know it's not me. I think I heard that some other people had this same problem as well.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:23 PM
WSI Personality

FYI - in regards to the Soxogram, Sunday is March 9th, not 8th.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally posted by FanOf14
FYI - in regards to the Soxogram, Sunday is March 9th, not 8th.
Whoops... Thanks...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Queen of England

Quote:
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
No, kermit's right, it was on your end.
I use this same chat program on my site and I've never had a user limit problem. There's a possibility that the chat server could have been having problems (as servers sometimes do) at the time you were trying to access ... but as for the program being unable to handle multiple users, I can confirm this isn't the issue.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by Michelle
I use this same chat program on my site and I've never had a user limit problem. There's a possibility that the chat server could have been having problems (as servers sometimes do) at the time you were trying to access ... but as for the program being unable to handle multiple users, I can confirm this isn't the issue.
It seemed like a server problem, the chat simply would not load.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

If people are concerned, they should try loading the chat prior to Sunday. If it loads than you know your computer can do it. If not, try playing around with the suggestions that FWC made above and see if you can load the chat thereafter.

On Sunday if you experience a problem, you can back out and try again in a few minutes. Be patient. Last time we didn't start the Q&A until almost 7:30, so just because you can't get in right at 7:00 doesn't mean you won't be able to get in in time for the bulk of the chat.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:31 PM

Quote:
No, kermit's right, it was on your end. I have a very updated computer with all of those components and the chatroom wasn't loading. I've been able to get into it in the past, so I know it's not me. I think I heard that some other people had this same problem as well.
No, Kermit isn't right and neither are you. Follow the suggestions I made. If you have a JVM and you can't get in, reboot, your computer is messed up. I had to do this once to get into Michelle's chatroom. My system wouldn't load the Java chat until I rebooted. And I have been in this room and hers hundreds of times.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
It seemed like a server problem, the chat simply would not load.
The problem was your computer would not download the Java client. That is a client end problem. I had it happen once and a simple reboot fixed it.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
No, Kermit isn't right and neither are you. Follow the suggestions I made. If you have a JVM and you can't get in, reboot, your computer is messed up. I have had to do this once to get into Michelle's room. My system wouldn't load the Java chat until I rebooted. And I have been in this room and hers hundreds of times.
Dude, the chat just loaded for me right now as it has done in the past. I know it isn't on my end. I believe you that there's no limit that you set as to how many people could get into the chatroom, but perhaps on that particular day, the connection hosting the chatroom must have been messed up. Ordinally, I would have said my connection was screwed up, but I distinctly remember a thread that very day where several people were complaining about the chat room not loading.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Dude, the chat just loaded for me right now as it has done in the past. I know it isn't on my end. I believe you that there's no limit that you set as to how many people could get into the chatroom, but perhaps on that particular day, the connection hosting the chatroom must have been messed up. Ordinally, I would have said my connection was screwed up, but I distinctly remember a thread that very day where several people were complaining about the chat room not loading.
You have obviously rebooted several times since then. There were a handful of people in there that night. We have 3-4 times as many during games. And people were joining AFTER some of you hit this "limit". How did they get in if there was a "limit". Use some logic. There is evidence that a computer can get in a state where it can't download the Java client and needs a reboot (it has happened to me). We also know people got in the room after you couldn't. Think about it.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
You have obviously rebooted several times since then. There were a handful of people in there that night. We have 3-4 times as many during games. And people were joining AFTER some of you hit this "limit". How did they get in if there was a "limit". Use some logic. There is evidence that a computer can get in a state where it can't download the Java client and needs a reboot (it has happened to me). We also know people got in the room after you couldn't. Think about it.
I'm positive that it was not my computer. I was accessing several other java programs that day both before and after trying the chat room. I told you, I know it isn't a limit that you're setting limiting the number of people in the room. I believe you. I'm willing to bet a major backbone is responsible for this. This could be on either your end, or my end. Maybe it was my service provider, I don't know, but it had nothing to do with the java client on my computer.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I'm positive that it was not my computer. I was accessing several other java programs that day both before and after trying the chat room. I told you, I know it isn't a limit that you're setting limiting the number of people in the room. I believe you. I'm willing to bet a major backbone is responsible for this. This could be on either your end, or my end. Maybe it was my service provider, I don't know, but it had nothing to do with the java client on my computer.
Did you reboot your computer that night and try to get in? If you didn't, you can't make this statement since it is a known fact rebooting has fixed the problem for myself and others in the past.

The important thing here is anybody reading this thread who does have a JVM installed should try rebooting their computer if they can't download the client. Or you can ignore my advice and complain about not being able to get in. It is up to the individual.