White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
WSI Regular

At www.warmoctobernights.com there is a top 100 minor leaguer list that is up to 80, and a new article about the white sox angels series.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Here are the snippets:

Those are some damn cool names.

Gio Gonzales, Lance Broadway, Ray Liotta.

how cool would it be in a few years to have a "Broadway" or "Liotta" sox jersey?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Now that I'm off my "hiatus", I'll finish this up:

Southern League - AA
4 - Chris Young
13 - Bobby Jenks

Comments from the chat (who's that cool guy that got the first question in? ):

Q: Roberto Ivaldi from Chicago, IL asks:
Thanks for taking the time to chat! A couple of questions in regards to Birmingham. Were Casey Rogowski and Jerry Owens not considered for the list because of their respective ages? Also, I was very impressed by Daniel Haigwood's impactperformance during his short stint with the Barons. Was he considered? Finally, even though Ryan Sweeney doesn't have the power numbers, was he considered due to his sweet swing, excellent batting eye, and rocket arm in the outfield? Thanks!

A: First of all, and I'm sure this is something I'll be repeating a few times today, the Southern League was incredibly stacked this year, and making the top 20 list was very, very difficult. That Birmingham team you mentioned was extremely talented, probably the third-most talented team in the league, but it placed just two players in the top 20. In another league, six or seven of those guys could have made the top 20. Of the players you mentioned, Roberto, Sweeney was the closest to making it - he was one of the last cuts, actually. Managers do love his raw ability, including that beautiful swing, and his season isn't bad for a 20-year-old in the SL. He very well might develop more power down the line (and I think he will), but it's hard to put a guy who hit one homer in a top 20 of a league this deep. I'm as big a Jerry Owens fan as you'll find anywhere, and it was very encouraging to see him respond to skipping a level by winning a batting title. He and Rogowski and Haigwood are all prospects for sure, as are Josh Fields and Sean Tracey. There just wasn't room for all of them. My personal ranking of those players: Sweeney, Owens, Tracey, Fields, Rogowski, Haigwood. Just my take.

Q: K. Williams from Chicago, IL asks:
Is Chris Young truly a 5 tool outfielder? I'm not convinced that he has much of an arm in the outfield, and I question whether or not he will ever be able to hit for a high average.

A: Scouts and managers just loved everything about Chris Young this year. He does have a chance to be a legitimate five-tool guy, as his arm is at least average, and he is learning how to hit very quickly. He made a ton of adjustments from the beginning of the year, showing improved knowledge of the strike zone and an increased ability to hit breaking balls. And he plays the game the right way. Just a terrific prospect who has really improved his stock dramatically since last year.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-31-2005, 12:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

International League - AAA

8)Brandon McCarthy
9)Brian Anderson

From the chat:

Q: Dave from Kenosha, Wis. asks: What happened to Brandon McCarthy when he returned to Charlotte after his first stint -- a bad one -- with the White Sox? Did he find another pitch? He was so much better after re-joining the Sox in August.
A: Body control in his delivery. He was flying open somewhat and elveating his fastball, which he battled at times in Charlotte as well. Once his mechanics were fine-tuned, he was locating his plus fastball and his curveball again became a major weapon.

Q: aaron from boston asks:
Davies over McCarthy? It would seem that the upside on McCarthy is considerably higher, no?
A: Davies compares more to a Greg Maddux-type finesse righthander, whereas McCarthy is a power pitcher. Upside is similar, but Davies gets the nod mostly out of being more polished at this stage. Tough argument, as there is a lot to like about both.

Q: Don from Rosemont, IL asks: If you were Kenny Williams, would you take Brian Anderson over either Podsednik or Rowand as a starting outfielder next year?
A: . . . And now I'm Kenny Williams (don't tell Wally Backman). I like Anderson over either of those guys, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that I'm an Anderson apologist. Even though he's bigger and stronger than your average CF, he has the speed to play there. He just does it all, with that gamer mentality.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Q: K. Williams from Chicago, IL asks:
Old 10-31-2005, 01:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotelWhiteSox
Actually that was me too. I submitted another question from Jerry R. but that one got skipped...