White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2005, 02:48 PM
WSI Regular

Default Bobby Jenks

I'll admit this is either a dumb question or incredibly wishful thinking:

Could Bobby Jenks and his 98-mph heater be an upgrade over Vizcaino in the White Sox pen in the 2nd half? Is he the best option in the minors if a reliever gets injured?
Old 06-25-2005, 05:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Vizcaino is the only guy on this team who has that body language saying he's not happy here-so yes, it would be an improvement
Old 06-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

I dont think jenks has the mental capacities to be on this team.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeNuts
I'll admit this is either a dumb question or incredibly wishful thinking:

Could Bobby Jenks and his 98-mph heater be an upgrade over Vizcaino in the White Sox pen in the 2nd half? Is he the best option in the minors if a reliever gets injured?
You and I would be an upgrade over Vizcaino in the Bullpen!
Old 06-25-2005, 07:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockdaleForVeep
I dont think jenks has the mental capacities to be on this team.
I always thought that was the knock on him when he was trying to be a starter, but that they think he is past this now that he's in the bullpen. And 98-mph in AAA should equal 98-mph in the majors.

I'm talking about having him on the roster instead of Vizcaino. And I'd rather see them give him a shot instead of somebody like Adkins, Walker, Diaz, or Munoz, who have all gotten a cup of coffee in the bigs in the last couple of years.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:26 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Is he the best option in the minors if a reliever gets injured?
What about Jeff Bajenaru? Even though he just blown a save as I type this. He is 2 an 1 with 9 saves and an ERA of 1.15

Last edited by He gone; 06-25-2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:53 PM
WSI Personality

Jenks has two incredibly nasty pitches. A mid to upper 90's fastball and a big sharp breaking 12-6 curveball. His stuff is big league for sure.

The downside is that he sometimes has trouble repeating his delivery, leading him to be wild. Often times he is wild withing the strike zone even when not walking hitters. Right now he is blowing away AA hitters. I'd like to see him get some innings in AAA against more veteran hitters before seeing the bigs. I think it would be good for him to be challenged a bit more and to see how he reacts to adverse situations. That will give a better indication of whether he can handle the bigs mentally.

On the flip side, I think Jeff Bajenaru has done everything he can to earn another shot, should they need to make a move in Chicago. Very few pitchers walk onto a MLB field in September and dominate and then continue to do so. Baj has earned a shot to contribute.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:59 PM
New At WSI

Default Bobby Jenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by He gone
What about Jeff Bajenaru? Even though he just blown a save as I type this. He is 2 an 1 with 9 saves and an ERA of 1.15
I agree they should give Bajenaru a shot over Jenks. He came up last year for only a few weeks and even though his ERA was high, Ozzie was impressed with his performance. Jenks has a 4 something ERA in double AA while Bajenaru has 1.15 at a higher level.

I do not think they should be so quick to pull Vizcaino out of the bullpen. He has shown in the past that he can pitch at the major league level but the Sox have so many quality bullpen guys doing better than Vizcaino that Ozzie can only send him out in mopup situations. He is out of options so if you try to send him down to the minors someone will claim him on waivers. I think the best option is to hope he can work it out. If a reliever goes down and Vizcaino is put into a more crucial role and fails then go with Bajenaru or a trade.