White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2005, 10:29 PM
WSI Personality

Post 6/5 Games

Didn't see one posted yet, so I'll give the basic recap for Sunday's games.

Kanny beat Augusta 3-1
Gio went 7 scoreless, gave up 1 hit 2 walks and 7 strikeouts. (Ho hum, another stellar outing.)
Hurd pitched 2 mediocre innings for the save.

W-S beat Lynchburg 10-9.
Hitting stars were Hall 3-4 a homer 2 rbi, plus a walk; Collaro 3-5 with an rbi; Schnurstein 3-4 with a double and 3 rbi; Daigle 2-4, 1 rbi and a walk. CLee had a double and 2 rbi.

Dizard was respectable 5.1 5H 2R 2ER 4BB 2SO. Bullpen was horrible Castro 1.1 IP 3H 4R 4ER 1BB 2SO Bakker 0.2IP 2H 3R 3ER 1BB 0SO.

Birmingham clobbered Tennessee 14-7 (thank god for the prevent defense in the 4th quarter) Hitting stars: Owens 3-5, a double, an rbi, 2 runs scored; Young 2-4, a double, a homer, a walk, a stolen base, an rbi and 3 runs scored; Rogowski 2-5 with a double 2 rbi and a run; Fields (there's been a Josh Fields sighting!) 2-5 a homer, 2 rbi, 2 runs; Sweeney was 0-3 with a walk and a sac fly. His average is down to .275 after a recent slump.

Heath (Mike) Phillips was uninspiring to earn the win 5IP 6H 4R 3ER 1BB 5SO. Jenks closed it out with a solid inning in garbage time 1 IP 0 0 0 0 2SO.

Charlotte lost (what else is new?) 5-3 to Indianapolis. Anderson was 1-4 with 2SO. Adkins pitched about like he has been 7IP 10H 5R 5ER 3BB 8SO. Bajenaru pitched a scoreless eighth 1IP 1 0 0 0 2SO.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Charlotte lost (what else is new?) 5-3 to Indianapolis.
I was at this game.

Adkins was brutal early, as expected (5 ER, 8 H through his 1st 4 IP), then settled down against an unimpressive Indians lineup. Snell was only slightly better. Maybe he just had an off day, but I wasn't impressed. The gun in the stadium had his fastball 1 MPH over Adkins on average, which is plenty if your other pitches are good . . . but they weren't. Casanova and Brown homered, and lots of long fly balls died in the deep CF of Victory Field. Gload's triple was a bullet off the top of the wall in RF. Baj, OTOH, was very impressive in his 1-inning of work. He throws much harder than I expected.

Other notes:
- Anderson pulled a Rowand and ran full speed into the CF wall, knocking himself silly for a bit.
- He looked terrible in his first 2 ABs (both Ks), but then made an adjustment and hit the ball to the right side the next 2 times up (lineout to 2B and a single).
- Biko made an outstanding throw from the LF corner, nailing a runner at the plate.
- Gload hit the ball hard consistently and made a few very good defensive plays. It's a shame Timo has those naked photos of Ozzie.
- Victory Field is a nice park, just outside of downtown Indy next to the convention district. It's well worth the 2.5-to-3-hour ride. Indy has done a lot of work recently to make the area friendly to tourists and conventioneers.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM
WSI High Priest

One more note . . .

I saw LOTS of bandwagon Sox fans in Indy. Because they have no MLB team, the papers, stores, etc. cover the Sox, cubs, Cards, Tigers, and Reds. With the Sox having the best record in baseball, Sox stuff was everywhere. Some folks drove down from Chicago for the Charlotte series, but the people I spoke with were all locals.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:30 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
One more note . . .

I saw LOTS of bandwagon Sox fans in Indy. Because they have no MLB team, the papers, stores, etc. cover the Sox, cubs, Cards, Tigers, and Reds. With the Sox having the best record in baseball, Sox stuff was everywhere. Some folks drove down from Chicago for the Charlotte series, but the people I spoke with were all locals.
I'm a Local!!! But have been life long... and yes, downtown has developed beautifully...
"I started fouling off his pitches. I took a pitch every now and then. Pretty soon, after twenty-four (24) fouls, old Red could hardly lift his arm and I walked. That's when they took him out of the game and he cussed me all the way to the dugout." ~Luke Appling
Old 06-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
Gload hit the ball hard consistently and made a few very good defensive plays. It's a shame Timo has those naked photos of Ozzie.
What position was Gload playing? 1B or RF??
Old 06-08-2005, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Gload has played 1B almost exclusively.