White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 06:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Lance Broadway..

I saw Broadway pitch against the Wave. I'm no scout so I don't know who a prospect is and who isn't. That said, his outing was the most effective I've seen in the last 2 years in college baseball. My viewing in that time includes the Tulane pitchers picked in rounds 1 and 3, one of the Rice pitchers picked last year in round one, and several other draftees.
TCU's team was really Broadway and the 8 dwarfs, but with him, they completely shut us down (but were easily beaten in the other 2 games of that series), he handcuffed stanford in the regionals (but were non-competetive in the other 2 games).

Good pick to me.

Go Sox and Roll Wave. Looking for the twin killing this year, and it's been 35 years in coming.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:56 PM
WSI Personality

Nice to hear. Stuff-wise he seems reminiscent of McCarthy. I hope he's good because I'm a little sad we passed on local boys Carrillo and Bogusevic.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Nice to hear. Stuff-wise he seems reminiscent of McCarthy. I hope he's good because I'm a little sad we passed on local boys Carrillo and Bogusevic.
I've seen Bogie pitch about 10 times; wish we had picked him for sentimental reasons (he's also an outstanding pitcher).
Old 06-08-2005, 01:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

From what I have heard about Broadway and from the scouting reports I have read, he sounds like a right handed Barry Zito. Great Curve-average fastball, except Broadway is developing a changep. As long as he can locate the curve thats great. Zito has been having trouble locating his curve.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Banned

Broadway looks like a legitimate stud..

..Looking down the road to defend our 3rd straight World Series Championship:

Buehrle
Garland
McCarthy
Garcia
Broadway

Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 AM
WSI Personality

Broadway spent the first half of last summer pitching in the Northwoods league for the Wisconsin Woodchucks here in my hometown. I only saw him pitch once, and he didn't really strike me as that impressive. But then again, I was drunk and I don't really give a rats about Northwoods League Baseball. That said, I read a lot about him in the local rag last summer, and it sounded like he was pretty dominant. Come to think of it, I think he threw a no hitter. Also, my girlfriend met him once at a bar and said he was down to earth and a pretty nice guy, which is saying something such as most of the kids who come to play ball here during the summer are prone to racking up DUI's, statutory rapes, and animal cruelty charges. You never know how these draft picks are going to pan out, but Broadway seems like as good of a pick as any.

Wausau Daily Herald Articles about Broadway
Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_soxfan
Broadway spent the first half of last summer pitching in the Northwoods league for the Wisconsin Woodchucks here in my hometown. I only saw him pitch once, and he didn't really strike me as that impressive. But then again, I was drunk and I don't really give a rats about Northwoods League Baseball.
LOL. Hey, at least you are honest...

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
WSI Regular

Jonathon Mayo on mlb.com says Broadway will start in high A and move to AA by the end of the year and may possibly be ready for the show at the end of next year.