White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2005, 09:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Strikeouts - Birmingham

I get nervous when I see a (hitting) prospect putting up big strikeout numbers. The strikeout rate doesn't generally improve as the guy climbs the ladder, and in some cases (LTP) excessive strikeouts are the first sign of a bust.

Well, at Birmingham we've got Fields and Young putting up scary strikeout numbers. Young also has great power numbers, but Fields is at .229 without much power. So I'm not at all convinced that these guys are going to make it.

Rogo, who's always had good K:BB ratios, also started out badly. But he seems to have gotten it under control, with a 38:18 ratio that's just fine for a .331 hitter with power. And Blakely has a few too many Ks but he isn't thought to be a prospect anyway.

On the positive side, Sweeney has only 11 Ks in 113 ABs. Owens has only 24 in 156. Both are hitting .300. They're going to be real good.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
I get nervous when I see a (hitting) prospect putting up big strikeout numbers. The strikeout rate doesn't generally improve as the guy climbs the ladder, and in some cases (LTP) excessive strikeouts are the first sign of a bust.

Well, at Birmingham we've got Fields and Young putting up scary strikeout numbers. Young also has great power numbers, but Fields is at .229 without much power. So I'm not at all convinced that these guys are going to make it.

Rogo, who's always had good K:BB ratios, also started out badly. But he seems to have gotten it under control, with a 38:18 ratio that's just fine for a .331 hitter with power. And Blakely has a few too many Ks but he isn't thought to be a prospect anyway.

On the positive side, Sweeney has only 11 Ks in 113 ABs. Owens has only 24 in 156. Both are hitting .300. They're going to be real good.
You're how long into the season? Guys most often have high K numbers when they move up a level while adjusting to the pitching. It's important to note how they adjust as the season progresses. Both Young and Fields are going to strike out a bunch at any level. However, Young has something like 25+ extra base hits and he went from low-A to AA in an offseason and is still walking regularly.

Frankly, I'm not usually concerned with High K totals as long as they also take a lot of walks. Rogo does that, Young does that (really would like to see him get into the .280-.290 range by season's end, make more consistent contact). Fields is still a work in progress, he's been in a huge slump the past 2 weeks or so. But, he'll hit, just needs experience and AB's...
Old 05-25-2005, 04:39 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica

Fields is worries me the most becuase of swings chasing bad pitches SL pitchers are throwing him sliders on the outer half he either rolls over it or K's

I am new to this board but I am a regular on Soxtalk and post a Barons write up daily.

Tom
Old 05-25-2005, 04:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAMBARONS
Fields is worries me the most becuase of swings chasing bad pitches SL pitchers are throwing him sliders on the outer half he either rolls over it or K's

I am new to this board but I am a regular on Soxtalk and post a Barons write up daily.

Tom
Excellent Tom, look forward to your insights on the kids at AA.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Welcome aboard. As an avid reader of your daily Barons write up, I'd appreciate any insight you could provide WSI.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Tom
To me that is more pitch recognition and adjusting to what the league has scouted as a weakness of his...

It's a psychological battle trying to make those adjustments while trying to dig yourself out of a big slump at the same time...
Old 05-25-2005, 05:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Of course you're right that 150 ABs is a small sample and that both of them are on the fast track -- but consider:

* They are 1-2 in the SL in strikeouts (Young 1st, Fields tied for 2nd)
* They both struck out a lot last season, so this is not new
* Sweeney and Owens are also on a pretty fast track, and doing better

Young is a fascinating player because of all the power he's showing. He could be one of those guys who can survive in the majors while striking out 150 times a year. Fields, I'm not so sure about. I expected him to do better.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:08 AM
WSI Regular

I wouldn't worry about Fields to much yet. Let remember that he was a two sport athlete until recently. Give him a couple more seasons of full time baseball and he'll come around.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_na_na_na
I wouldn't worry about Fields to much yet. Let remember that he was a two sport athlete until recently. Give him a couple more seasons of full time baseball and he'll come around.
Sigh, where have we heard that before?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Sigh, where have we heard that before?

"Ahem......."