White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 04:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Getting shutout by a rook!?... glad I missed last night's game.

I feel like J. Robert Oppenheimer having invented the atomic bomb. I mean, look what Ive unleashed on the world.

-- Daniel Okrent, founder of Rotisserie Baseball
Old 05-24-2005, 04:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Old 05-24-2005, 04:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Most games Garland (or any Sox starter) gives up 3 runs in 7+ innings, we will likely win. I figured Ozzie would put Vizcaino back on the hill ASAP if we were up or down by 3 or 4 or more (I was definitely hoping for the up). He's got the potential to be good, but he has some quality relievers breathing on his tail from the minors. Think Bajenaru will be called up soon? He has a 0.81 ERA in 22.1 innings in 21 appearaces. He has a 1-0 record and 3 saves. 22 strikeouts to 12 walks. Only 2 earned runs this year so far. I think he might have pitched tonight because the stats seem updated from the last time I looked when I think he had given up only one earned run.

Speaking of AAA players, it is interesting to see how Ben Davis is progressing down there. Hopefully he picks his production up. With Frank Thomas, Ross Gload, Davis, Borchard, Adkins, Norton, Diaz, Munoz, Burke...and maybe a few others...you have a lot of guys on that team that have seen major league action (with Thomas being a future HOF'er and Gload and Davis being perennially up). Hopefully we can add that list by seeing Fingernails on a blackboard and Bajenaru. I think Brandon will replace Contreras or Hernandez in the rotation at some point in time whether this year or next. Bajenaru can help solidify the bullpen because chances are it will change. I'm hoping we can get more production out of Borchard and some of those other players that have been labeled our "future"

I would really hate to see us start another west slide, but I think with MB on the hill we can win the game and take the rest of this series as well.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjav829
We were flat out dominated tonight. Ervin Santana looked like Johan Santana against us. Orlando Cabrera looked like Miguel Cabrera against us. Darin Erstad looked like, well, he looked like someone who can actually hit. Horrible game. Just another in the long list of horrible west coast games.

Garland wasn't great, but really, this could have been a 0-0 game going into the 9th. Crede's misplay was huge out there. It's a simple catch and tag and two runs don't score. That said, Garland does have to make the pitches to get out of the jam.

We talked about this in the chat, but does anyone else think that if Rowand is in center, those runs don't score? Frankly, as I said, I think Rowand catches both the Kennedy double and the Molina single. For that matter, Pods might catch those balls. I have no idea why Timo was in center. It should have been Pods in center with Rowand resting. That's a poor decision by Ozzie. It's becoming clearer that Timo is gone when Gload and Frank return.

Just a crappy game. Before someone points it out - and I realize that by the time I've typed this all up and clicked submit, someone probably will have - Santana had a 13 ERA coming into the game. Let's not get too worked up over that though. It was one bad outing in his major league debut. He's a good young pitcher with talent. It's still embarrassing to get shutout by a rookie making only his second major league start. I would hope the Sox are embarrassed by that.
You are right with what you said. Pods needs to be in center when Rowand is out. Those balls would have been caught because Rowand has such a better read on the ball than Timo does. That pop fly single that scored a run would have definately been caught by Rowand.

Ya, last night even though it was a close game, the Sox were never in it because we looked lost at the plate. When Crede did not come up with that tag at third I never we would be in for it.

We will bounce back tonight though with Buerhle on the hump.

GO SOX!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox
Seriously, if you are going to go off spittle-flying rants over every loss, you need to find another sport to follow. MLB teams lose. A lot, by the standards of other sports. 60% wins is pretty good. 70% over the course of a season is virtually unheard of. You "demand" sucess. I'm impressed.

You guys who go off on "Ozzie should know he can't play this guy, he can't play that guy" need to suggest alternatives. It is so easy to be critical after you know the outcome. These guys are on the roster, and unless there is someone better waiting in the wings, they are who he has to work with.

Just a little suggestion, since you're new to the board. You might want to soft-pedal the name calling just because someone disagrees with you. You don't manage a Toys-R-Us in Texas, do you?
That is what I am preaching too. This team is going to lose games. The games they lose of course there are going to be some ugly scenarios thrown into the mix. Ya, I was pissed when I went to bed last night, but that was one game and Minnesota lost. So to me it is a wash and we go back out there and get a win with Buerhle tonight.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Banned

Default What's Bad About That Loss?

Yesterday's loss in Anaheim (5/23) just killed me because everything was pointing towards a Sox victory before this game.

- We're the best team in baseball
- We have the best pitcher in baseball pitching for us
- Anaheim has been struggling at the plate
- Anaheim is missing their best player
- Anaheim is missing one of their best relievers
- Anaheim is starting a rookie who had a bad outing in his debut last time out

With all that going the Sox way, it's still not enough to rid themselves of this inability to win on the West coast and to hit pitchers they have never seen before.
There is absolutely no logic to this trend that has developed over the last few years.
Anaheim and Oakland have been good teams over the last few years, but this year Oakland sucks and we lose 2 of 3 and play horribly. We are favored in yesterday's game for all the reasons above, but still can't win.
What is it about the West coast? They don't have the same teams as they have had in the past and neither do we, but we still can't win.
We don't have the same lineup as we have in the past, but we still can't hit rookie pitchers? I don't get it. This is the strangest trend I have ever seen, and it shows no sign of ending.

Luckily Minnesota lost yesterday, but that was a perfect chance to gain some ground yesterday.
This is something that would scare the hell out of me for the playoffs. Let's say the Sox win the division and have to start out by playing Anaheim. How good will you feel about that?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Garland was getting some pretty solid hits put on him.
He was a nevous wreck and very jittery.His family and friends were there tonight,including his mother and sisters.
There were something like 200 people out there just to see him.
After all,hes' a California kid.
I expect him to be back to form against Texas.
What i can't understand is why wasn't Timo in left and Pods in center.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:00 AM
WSI High Priest

After an emotional series against the flubs a certain amount of "let down" should have been expected.

Last edited by Paulwny; 05-24-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Can't the West Coast just fall into the ocean so the Sox will not have to travel there again?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Banned

I'd be more afraid of the Sox facing a Single-A pitcher from the Yankee's organization with a 10.00 ERA on the West Coast then I would be facing Santana in Minnesota. The rookie pitchers killing us trend really has to stop. Before every team realizes it and they only send out Triple-A pitchers to face us.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:30 AM
WSI Regular

Default after

after the first couple of innings and seeing no Rowand in the lineup, it was nerve racking for me as well. Garland didn't pitch poorly at all. Crede doesn't come up with that 3rd base play and we can't get past 2nd base (barely even got there) ... and that's game time

too bad. Vizcaino has been consistently worse than Shingo
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
WSI Regular

Sox are now 0-3 in Anaheim with me in attendance... just a forewarning, I also bought tickets to Thursday's game.

My Left Coast Sox Record: 0-4
Old 05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
WSI Regular

You gotta hand it to Ervin Santana he pitched a great game. The Sox looked flat and actually seemed like they just wanted the game to end by swinging at a lotta 1st pitches. Tadahito was the only one who seemed to be into the game..

Lets win tonite and get back on a winning streak.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:59 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlakeTom
I wouldn't say it's their worst showing. Though the Sox won the game on walks, they were 2 hit by somebody. Can't remember who.
I'm pretty sure it was vs. the Royals.