White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2005, 05:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Gio Gonzalez: 2005's Brandon McCarthy?

In 2003, a minor leaguer named Brandon McCarthy his first full season (well it was at Great Falls, so 2/3 of a season) in professional baseball. He exhibited some trends that caught the eye of many people. First of all, he struck out a ton of batters. He had a 125/15 K/BB ratio in 101 innings for an 11.14 K/9 and an 8.33 K/BB ratio. These two trends hinted at what was to come the next year as he skyrocketed from Kanny to Birmingham and immediately became one of the top prospects in baseball. You know the rest.

In 2004, Gio Gonzalez had 12 starts (and one relief appearance) in pro baseball at Bristol and Kannapolis. His K/9 was 10.01 and his K/BB was 3.00 (which is still solid). Many of his problems came from the fact that he was just getting acclimated to Low-A. His K/9 at Bristol was actually 13.50 and his K/BB was 4.50. He seemed to have problems with wildness after getting called up.

So far this year, Gio has taken off. Through three starts, he has a 1.13 ERA in 16 Innings and 3 starts (2-1 record). The important thing? 28 strikeouts and 3 walks. That works out to more than a 9:1 ratio (9.33). That is just an insane number of strikeouts. It seems like he has really gotten acclimated.

I saw the video of him from the draft and it looks like he has a nasty curveball that has the potential to be one of the more devastiating in baseball when all of the minor league instructors are through with him. His fastball also got to about 92, which for a lefty, is pretty good.

My question is, does Gio have the ability to fly through the system with excellent control and oodles of strikeouts like McCarthy did last year? Or is it too early to get this excited about him? From the sounds of it, we absolutely lucked into drafting him. This scouting report backs up some optimism IMO:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/dr...sc=round&sp=1S

Quote:
MEDIUM BUILD. ATHLETIC FRAME. ROUND SHOULDERS. STRONG LOWER HALF. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO A SMALLER BARRY ZITO. NO WINDUP, 3/4 ARM. HIGH LEG KICK. CLEAN ARM ACTION. SMOOTH DELIVERY. EXPLOSIVE FB, TAIL ACTION AWAY FROM RHH. 12 TO 6 BREAK CB W/ TIGHT ROTATION. DECEPTION CHANGEUP W/ LATE TUMBLE IN ZONE. GOOD COMMAND, MOVES BALL IN & OUT WELL. YOUNG LHP W/ ELECTRIC STUFF. PITCHES AT 90-92, 93-94 WHEN NEEDED & A HAMMER FOR A CB. GOES AFTER HITTERS.
The stuff I bolded indicates the similarities I find between him and McCarthy. The biggest difference seems to be that McCarthy is more of a fastball pitcher while Gio has two primary pitches. But the part about going after hitters, having good command and the velocity sounds about the same. Have the White Sox found themselves another uber-pitching prospect?
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 04-22-2005, 11:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Gio is putting up some awesome numbers.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
My question is, does Gio have the ability to fly through the system with excellent control and oodles of strikeouts like McCarthy did last year? Or is it too early to get this excited about him? From the sounds of it, we absolutely lucked into drafting him. This scouting report backs up some optimism IMO:
Build, frame, durability and stamina are the biggest concerns moving forward. While McCarthy is 6'7", he also showed a lot of stamina in his first season and 6'7" with an easy motion alleviate those concerns. Gio is a big of a high-effort pitcher. he doesn't throw 93-94, so we can nip that in the bud right now. Fastball has nice movement and he has a very underrated change-up.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:32 PM
WSI High Priest

John Sickels on Gio:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story.../24/152720/962

Quote:
Gio Gonzalez, LHP, Chicago White Sox (38th overall, Florida HS)
Four games, 4 starts, 22 innings for the Kannapolis Intimidators of the Sally League. 38/6 K/BB ratio, 4 runs allowed, only 11 hits. All ratios outstanding, especially K/IP. Gonzalez, right now, looks like the most advanced high school pitcher drafted last June. While he doesn't have the pure physical ceiling of some of the other guys, his pitching instincts are very advanced.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Gio is going to be our K-Rod the year they won the WS.

When we make the playoffs, the young kid is going to come in and set the world on fire, and win over all of Chicago.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:22 AM
WSI High Priest

I liked GIO from Day one after the draft seeing film of him pitch... McCarthy and Gonzalez at the Top of the rotation in a few years will make Garcia Buehrle look like pretty good 3-4 pitchers... our future is bright... and we're a young team still!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Build, frame, durability and stamina are the biggest concerns moving forward. While McCarthy is 6'7", he also showed a lot of stamina in his first season and 6'7" with an easy motion alleviate those concerns. Gio is a big of a high-effort pitcher. he doesn't throw 93-94, so we can nip that in the bud right now. Fastball has nice movement and he has a very underrated change-up.
He also has a bit of a head case tag on him. He quit his hs baseball team in Miami in his senior season due to a dispute with the coach. That hurt his draft standing and is one reason we got him as low as we did. He is putting up good numbers though.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosalbarojas
He quit his hs baseball team in Miami in his senior season due to a dispute with the coach.
Not quite. It was his mother who had the dispute with the coach (over his brother's playing time). Apparently, he's very close with his family and credits his father for much of his early success. I'm not going to judge him because his mother is bad at HS politics.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
Not quite. It was his mother who had the dispute with the coach (over his brother's playing time). Apparently, he's very close with his family and credits his father for much of his early success. I'm not going to judge him because his mother is bad at HS politics.
And, he did not quit his baseball team, the coach kicked he and his brother both off the team. The dispute between the mother and the coach was over the playing time his brother had apparently been promised when Gio and his brother transferred to the HS...
Old 05-12-2005, 11:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
And, he did not quit his baseball team, the coach kicked he and his brother both off the team. The dispute between the mother and the coach was over the playing time his brother had apparently been promised when Gio and his brother transferred to the HS...
What Randy and the other poster said. This had zero to do with Gio and everything to do with his mom whining about his brothers playing time and trying to use Gio's ability to force the coach into playing his brother (who must not of been good enough).

It hurt Gio's draft status but he's very advanced for a high schooler. Should be back in 7-10 days too and will probably start things back off with a bullpen stint. Fastball, change and curve and he can throw them all for strikes. He still has room to grow though and I don't see him adding anything to his fastball (no biggie though). Big question is will he stay healthy cause he puts an awful lot of pressure on his body (well mainly the good old shoulder/elbow).
Old 05-13-2005, 01:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Well, that makes all the difference in the world. My point is the kid had problems in high school, whether he quit, his mama quit or his coach threw him off. It hurt his draft status, and is something to be noted for the future. Look, I'm not saying I'm rooting against the kid - geez, I hope he gets here asap, but given his track so far, let's take a wait and see attitude. I'm sure Kenny is.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well, that makes all the difference in the world.
It sure does. There's a huge difference between:
- a player who argues with a coach and then quits, and
- a player who gets tossed because his mother argues
with a coach about an unrelated issue.

We didn't draft his mother.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well, that makes all the difference in the world. My point is the kid had problems in high school, whether he quit, his mama quit or his coach threw him off. It hurt his draft status, and is something to be noted for the future. Look, I'm not saying I'm rooting against the kid - geez, I hope he gets here asap, but given his track so far, let's take a wait and see attitude. I'm sure Kenny is.
I don't disagree with the second part...

But the first part of your response?
Old 05-13-2005, 05:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Somehow I don't see Gio's mother arguing with a major league manager because of her sons playing time. Esspically if he is a starting pitcher.