White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2004, 12:30 PM
WSI Personality

Default BA's Top 10 White Sox prospects

Here's the list composed by BA. I got my copy in the mail yesterday and the online version is set to appear Monday, Nov. 29th with a live chat that afternoon conducted by Phil Rodgers. Get your questions ready.

1. Brian Anderson
2. Ryan Sweeney
3. Brandon McCarthy
4. Josh Fields (3B)
5. Sean Tracey
6. Chris Young
7. Gio Gonzalez
8. Francisco Hernandez
9. Pedro Lopez
10. Kris Honel
Old 11-24-2004, 01:42 PM
WSI Regular

Default Interesting #8 and #9 selection....

Thanks for the info, Fungo!

I did a little digging into Francisco Hernandez, since I wasn't familiar with him, so I found a link from a few months ago here. Wow, he's only 18 but thought of so highly. Either that speaks volumes about the kid, or that goes to tell you the same ol' story about the Sox drafting or developing some high-quality C prospects in the system. Interesting too that FH was rated higher than the Sox's pick, Donny Lucy, from this year. I know that Donny had some problems with the stick, but IMO I think he'll be fine.

Pedro at #9 though? I know that he's a defensive wonder...still, does anyone compare him to Omar Vizquel? He too didn't start to swing the stick well until his 3rd/4th year in the bigs.

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2004, 02:10 PM
WSI High Priest

They have 7 out of 10 from my list. The identity of the top 4 is a no brainer and the remaining 6 are reasonable, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of squabling about the order. I took heat for ranking Tracey 8th.

BTW, when should we expect the much anticipated Randar / Daver list? How about you, Rex?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

I like the list, with the expections being: Rogowski should replace Lopez and Tracey should move two spots down to seven. And, though I know he isn't a top prospect, I'd like to see Antoin Gray get some love. He's a bit old for the leagues he's played in, but he's handled himself well at each professional level so far (.294/.356/.459 for Kannapolis in '04).
Old 11-24-2004, 03:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
BTW, when should we expect the much anticipated Randar / Daver list? How about you, Rex?
This is NOT my list, but rather how I anticipated BA ranking them as of last week on a different site:

1) BMac
2) Sweeney
3) Anderson
4) Fields
5) Gonzalez
6) Young
7) Lumsden
8) Honel
9) Whisler
10) Tracey or Munoz or Rogowski

I'm shocked they'd rank Anderson and Sweeney ahead of BMac. I also think it odd to rank Tracey that highly. Lumsden in his first chance at High-A straight out of the draft flashed better stuff than Tracey, although his numbers didn't necessarily reflect it, IMO, as he had a dead-arm period that hurt his velocity and command for about a month...

Whisler? He went all over the place and did nothing but succeed. He would be unhittable for a few innings and then lose his release point and not be able to find the strike zone for a few guys and get hit hard or walk a bunch of guys, but if he could work out of it, he would settle in and dominate for the most part. Consistency is going to be the key for him and getting used to the hitters not having aluminum bats.

On my list Hernandez is somewhere in the 7-12 range. He is a stud, but he has only played any real ball at short-season Bristol, and let me tell you, the jump from Bristol to Kanny is HUGE. Next year will be a key development point for him, as he has all the tools. BA usually doesn't rate prospects from short-season leagues that weren't high draft picks, so I am somewhat shocked they'd pick him.

Rogowski would be about 10 on my list. I love the guy's approach and attitude. He also basically missed 2 seasons, so while age-wise he appears old for his league, I don't put too much emphasis on that knowing the situation...

Personally, I think Robert Valido has a higher upside than Lopez, although Pedro is very talented in the field. Lopez has proved himself a bit more at a higher level, but I really believe Valido is right on his heels. Valido will start 2005 at W-S with Lopez at Birmingham. Valido hit a bit of a lull about mid-season before turning it around toward the end of the year, something not uncommon for a player in their first full-season league...
Old 11-24-2004, 04:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Say Randar, im getting Very Excited at the play of Josh Fields.
Is he someone SOX fans should be keeping an eye on?
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 11-24-2004, 05:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18
Say Randar, im getting Very Excited at the play of Josh Fields.
Is he someone SOX fans should be keeping an eye on?
The 3rd baseman? Hell yeah. He hit like gang-busters the last month to month and a half...

Let's see how he does at Birmingham, but 2006 opening day roster isn't out of the question, he'll come quickly, IMO...
Old 11-24-2004, 10:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Personally, I think Robert Valido has a higher upside than Lopez, although Pedro is very talented in the field. Lopez has proved himself a bit more at a higher level, but I really believe Valido is right on his heels. Valido will start 2005 at W-S with Lopez at Birmingham. Valido hit a bit of a lull about mid-season before turning it around toward the end of the year, something not uncommon for a player in their first full-season league...
I have a good feeling about Valido as well. How does he compare with Lopez defensively? They both have very good reputations.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:25 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
I have a good feeling about Valido as well. How does he compare with Lopez defensively? They both have very good reputations.
Valido is better defensively IMO, based on the tape I have seen of the two of them. Valido wastes no motions, takes a good read on the ball off the bat, and has a smooth throwing motion.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Rogowski would be about 10 on my list. I love the guy's approach and attitude. He also basically missed 2 seasons, so while age-wise he appears old for his league, I don't put too much emphasis on that knowing the situation.
Maybe he is too old for his league, but maybe he's also more developed between the ears.

Hearing people talk about this guy's "approach and attitude" speaks volumes to me.

I hope to God that McCarthy, Lumsden, Fields, Rogowski, and Sweeney all tear the Southern League apart next year. Then the "he's only in A ball" crowd that constantly berates our farm system will have nothing left to say.