White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2004, 11:17 AM
WSI Personality

Post Rogo's holding his own in AFL

Casey Rogowski's off to a good start in all of 42 AB's he's hitting .357 (1.008 OPS). I realize it's a ridiculously small sample, but he had a fine year at W-S and it's encouraging because the AFL talent level is AA or above. I wonder, and the scouts who've seen him please weigh in, is there a chance that Rogowski could be a late bloomer ala Travis Hafner? They both walk a lot. Hafner has a lot more demonstrable power, but Rogo is not small. We're going to need a replacement for Konerko fairly soon, could Casey be the guy in, say, 2006?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Casey Rogowski's off to a good start in all of 42 AB's he's hitting .357 (1.008 OPS). I realize it's a ridiculously small sample, but he had a fine year at W-S and it's encouraging because the AFL talent level is AA or above. I wonder, and the scouts who've seen him please weigh in, is there a chance that Rogowski could be a late bloomer ala Travis Hafner? They both walk a lot. Hafner has a lot more demonstrable power, but Rogo is not small. We're going to need a replacement for Konerko fairly soon, could Casey be the guy in, say, 2006?
Casey effectively lost the last 2 seasons to injury, so while he is old for his league, experience-wise, he really isn't. Great guy and teammate from all I've been able to discern. Plays balls to the wall.

He uses all fields and has a very good idea of where the strike zone is. He's just a monstrosity of a guy, just huge.

Should be fun to see him in AA.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Randar-does he have more of an upside than Gload?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of dorwood
Randar-does he have more of an upside than Gload?
Well, Rogo's got the speed to be a much better OF'er than Ross. More upside? Rogo will take walks and hit for a higher average, IMO, but he may not have the raw power Ross does. I just don't see Ross having any more upside that what we've already seen. A streaky hitter who has a long swing and can't hit lefties effectively. I think Rogo lacks in power what Ross lacks in OBP and AVG skills...

Rogo makes more frequent contact, that's for sure. We'll see if he develops any more power, but that will come with changes in his swing, because it'll be tough for him to gain any power by strength training, the guy would give Frank a run for his money in a "Best Defensive End Build" contest.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
I think Rogo lacks in power what Ross lacks in OBP and AVG skills...
Isn't power usually the last skill that develops? For instance, I believe Ventura hit all of 2 homers in AA and he became a perennial 25 homer man. With Rogo's size, isn't it likely he'll develop pretty decent power?

But, Randar, I think you're right on about Gload. He's a pretty limited player and if he's starting at 1b or a corner OF spot on a regular basis, you're a second division club.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Isn't power usually the last skill that develops? For instance, I believe Ventura hit all of 2 homers in AA and he became a perennial 25 homer man. With Rogo's size, isn't it likely he'll develop pretty decent power?
In relation to HS kids or kids that aren't physically fully mature, most definitely. Sweeney comes to mind. He's solid, but he's still a little spindly. Rogo is a brick-house! He uses all fields and is very patient at the plate. He hits the ball on the money, but he doesn't generate a lot of carry with his mechanics. When he hits HR's, he just murders the ball. He doesn't hit those high fly-balls that make you ask "How the heck did that go out?", when he hits HR's, they're usually lasers and with the high walls in many minor-league parks, those turn into a lot of doubles and long singles.

He has power, but the reason he doesn't hit a ton of HR's is in his swing mechanics, doesn't create much back-spin on the ball that generates the carry...
Old 11-10-2004, 10:11 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
In relation to HS kids or kids that aren't physically fully mature, most definitely. Sweeney comes to mind. He's solid, but he's still a little spindly. Rogo is a brick-house! He uses all fields and is very patient at the plate. He hits the ball on the money, but he doesn't generate a lot of carry with his mechanics. When he hits HR's, he just murders the ball. He doesn't hit those high fly-balls that make you ask "How the heck did that go out?", when he hits HR's, they're usually lasers and with the high walls in many minor-league parks, those turn into a lot of doubles and long singles.

He has power, but the reason he doesn't hit a ton of HR's is in his swing mechanics, doesn't create much back-spin on the ball that generates the carry...
I hadn't heard much of this guy until just recently...how long has he been with the Sox minor leagues?
crc#4
Sox Fan since birth...
...Sox Fan 'till death.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanTillDeath
I hadn't heard much of this guy until just recently...how long has he been with the Sox minor leagues?
Casey has actually been in the system since 1999. I remember in 2001 he was making quite an impression on scouts, but then suffered through an injury plagued 2002 and was still coming out of it in 2003.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Casey has actually been in the system since 1999. I remember in 2001 he was making quite an impression on scouts, but then suffered through an injury plagued 2002 and was still coming out of it in 2003.
He was one of my sleeper prospects when he was in the AFL right out of HS. The last 2 years he's been plagued by injuries and basically lost both those years. One of his biggest personal goals this year was to stay healthy all year.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:25 PM
WSI Regular

From what I've read, I'm guessing he's a 1st base/corner outfielder?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanTillDeath
From what I've read, I'm guessing he's a 1st base/corner outfielder?
He can be a 1B or a LF'er. He has a strong arm but being a first-baseman since HS, his mechanics aren't suited for the OF, will need to be modified.

Brian Becker was a veteran on W-S and he is strictly a 1B/DH. Casey moved to the OF (he volunteered in an off-the-cuff manner, I guess, and they took him up on it to his surprise) to get both he and Becker in the line-up. After Brian Anderson moved on, they had a 3-man OF rotation. With Brice preparing to go to the Olympics, they were short an OF'er, so Casey played a few games out there on a trial basis and did a nice job...

Not sure if it's a permanent move, but he get's nice jumps and has a lot of speed. He's just a smart baseball player, IMO. Good instincts for the game.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:00 PM
WSI Personality

Post Rogo got some pub

White Sox.com did an interview with Casey. Here's the link:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA..._cws&fext=.jsp

I especially liked that he plans on making the big leagues and "has no back up plan."
Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Banned

"When's dinner?"
Old 11-14-2004, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Rogowski was a beastly huge guy already in high school. I saw him play in the state finals for Detroit Catholic Central when he was a senior, and he looked like he could push over a semi truck. He was muscular and powerful already then.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Actually, this sounds a helluva lot better than I originally thought. He hits the ball hard to all fields? When is this guy's ETA?

Now that he's on the 40 man, maybe a September call up is in order next year?