White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2004, 08:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
It's my understanding that the 40-man roster stands at 36 currently. If that's correct, a.) why did they open that many spots at this time and b.) are there lesser prospects on that list than Wing even with the surgery?
I don't know all of the dates that player moves have to be made, but teams always purge guys from their 40-man roster around this time. It is SOP.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagar69
nodiggity, i have a question about your sig. you say that even if Reed becomes a HOF, the deal wont be bad. what the hell are you talkin about?!!!?? how else do you judge a trade other than how the players turn out and affect their teams 3 or 4 years after the trade. if reed is a HOF how is that NOT a bad trade???? and how exactly did the freddy trade help us THIS year? did let us have 83 wins instead or 78?
The point I believe is that at the time, Freddy was a key component to getting the Sox to the postseason. The fact that Frank & Maggs went down for good after the trade does not change the quality of the deal.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
I don't know all of the dates that player moves have to be made, but teams always purge guys from their 40-man roster around this time. It is SOP.
I hear ya. It's disappointing that they exposed even a post-surgery Wing to waivers while protecting a non-prospect like Yan though.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
I hear ya. It's disappointing that they exposed even a post-surgery Wing to waivers while protecting a non-prospect like Yan though.
I agree completely. I am sure the Sox are quite disappointed they lost him and may be second-guessing themselves.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:16 AM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitlesswonder
From rotoworld:

"Rangers claimed LHP Ryan Wing off waivers from the White Sox.Not a bad gamble. Wing, a 2001 second-round pick, missed the entire season with a shoulder injury, but he never did need surgery. If he shows up next year at 100 percent, he should still be viewed as a potential third or fourth starter."

I guess I was wrong about Wing having surgery. Can someone who is a more definitive source than rotoworld confirm this? If it's true, maybe I was hasty in my defense of the Sox. Sigh. Although, if Texas claimed him that means that quite a few teams passed him over. Claim order is the reverse of this year's standings, right? Without surgery, I would have thought someone else would have claimed him before the Rangers.
Ryan Wing had surgery. They did not find any damage to his muscles or tissues. They polished his shoulder joint which was causing the soreness in his shoulder.