White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-11-2004, 11:55 PM
nodiggity59 nodiggity59 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,179
Default Valdez?

Can anybody give a report on Wilson Valdez? I know he's not projected to be that great of a hitter, but is he good defensively? How far off is he?

Basically I'm wondering if we'll have an infield with Harris-Valdez-Uribe(3B) It just kinda seems like we're going in that direction of pitching/defense. Thanx
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2004, 12:01 AM
OEO Magglio OEO Magglio is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodiggity59
Can anybody give a report on Wilson Valdez? I know he's not projected to be that great of a hitter, but is he good defensively? How far off is he?

Basically I'm wondering if we'll have an infield with Harris-Valdez-Uribe(3B) It just kinda seems like we're going in that direction of pitching/defense. Thanx
Well he's got a good batting average but he barely draws any walks, I've never seen him play but I've heard he has good speed and a good glove(someone please correct me if I'm wrong). All reports that I've heard say he'll be a utility guy/backup in the majors. Once again I've never seen him play so I'm not the best guy to get info from but that's what I've heard, I'm sure daver/randar/rex or any of the other minor league experts will have better insight then what I gave you but that's just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Chisoxfn Chisoxfn is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: California
Posts: 660
Default

Good Speed, Good Glove, uses all parts of the field. Doesn't draw any walks.
__________________
Dan Evans Sucks...I'll take Ken Williams any day of the week over that bum.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
Good Speed, Good Glove, uses all parts of the field. Doesn't draw any walks.
Or hit for any kind of power.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2004, 05:25 PM
CaptUSN CaptUSN is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Springfield, Va (Northern Va - outside Washington, DC)
Posts: 67
Default Sounds like Ozzie

Since he was with the Marlins last year, Ozzie probably has a warm spot for him, which explains why we got him for Koch.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Gimm Gimm is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 481
Default

Potentially useful (need a bases loaded pinch-hit to RF? Some pinch-running maybe? Defensive sub? He's your guy) utility infielder.

Grinder.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2004, 08:32 AM
DrCrawdad DrCrawdad is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Valley Of The Malls
Posts: 7,594
Default

Looks as though Wilson will be here soon.

Quote:
Expect shortstop Wilson Valdez, who was acquired when the Sox sent reliever Billy Koch to Florida, to be called up Wednesday when rosters expand. Valdez is hitting .310 in 61 games at Triple-A Charlotte. - Chicago Cubune, 8/31/04.
__________________

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
Looks as though Wilson will be here soon.
Why not? He's on the 40-man roster. Might as well give any of those guys a shot at a couple games if their AA or AAA seasons are over...

But even if he pulls a Jaime Burke and hits .370 over 60 AB's, he's still a utility IF'er at best.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2004, 12:28 PM
gosox41 gosox41 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Why not? He's on the 40-man roster. Might as well give any of those guys a shot at a couple games if their AA or AAA seasons are over...

But even if he pulls a Jaime Burke and hits .370 over 60 AB's, he's still a utility IF'er at best.
I remember something like that being said about Aaron Rowand.


Valdez is probably nothing more then a utility player. But he may be better then the utility players we currently have out there starting.


Bob
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2004, 03:08 PM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
I remember something like that being said about Aaron Rowand.


Valdez is probably nothing more then a utility player. But he may be better then the utility players we currently have out there starting.


Bob
Willie hit .400 in AAA last year. I'd rather give him more AB's. He has a lot more physical talent than Valdez.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-31-2004, 03:41 PM
SoxxoS SoxxoS is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe AZ during school, lombard IL in the summer
Posts: 6,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Willie hit .400 in AAA last year. I'd rather give him more AB's. He has a lot more physical talent than Valdez.
And the good news for the Sox minor leaguers never stops!
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editsignature

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Jerome Jerome is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downers Grove, Il
Posts: 1,510
Default

Your Infield of the Future:
2B-Harris
SS-Valdez/Uribe
3B-Crede/Uribe
__________________
Pro-BA
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-02-2004, 07:26 PM
HebrewHammer HebrewHammer is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Daegu, South Korea
Posts: 1,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome
Your Infield of the Future:
2B-Harris
SS-Valdez/Uribe
3B-Crede/Uribe
__________________

"That was the plan no matter what. Because I had Kearns and 'MaTola,' whatever his name is, the first baseman, the fat guy, I don't know what ****ing name is - LaPorta - on the bench and I didn't want them to face Matt."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.