White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2004, 08:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Some interesting rotoworld tid-bits...

Quote:
Triple-A Charlotte second baseman Bryant Nelson is batting .299 with 21 home runs and 77 RBI.
Nelson is second in the International League in hits (146) and third in doubles (33). He has more walks than whiffs, 48-to-42, and can steal a base (13-of-19). Sound like someone who could hit atop the Chicago lineup next season? There's just one problem -- Nelson turns 31 in January. A prospect he's not, but this we can say for him -- he's a better option than a lot of reserve middle infielders getting recycled around the majors.

let's see if he can contribute. so what if he's 31. he still has at least 4 or 5 years left if he can play like that up in the bigs.

Quote:
The White Sox, losing patience with Joe Crede, could look to accelerate first-round pick Josh Fields' path to the majors.
Fields, who is Oklahoma State's all-time leader in touchdown passes, got off to a slow start at Single-A Winston-Salem but over the past eight games is batting .438 (14-for-32) with two triples and 10 RBI. Crede's on-base percentage is a poor .290, prompting manager Ozzie Guillen to say he wants players who can get on base and score runs. Makes you wonder why they sent Jeremy Reed to Seattle instead of Joe Borchard, whom GM Kenny Williams insisted was untouchable.

very interesting....i would be pissed if Crede was traded or something. i just got his jersey for my b-day this year.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguana775

very interesting....i would be pissed if Crede was traded or something. i just got his jersey for my b-day this year.
I would start praying REALLY hard then, because I think Crede is on short time.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fledgedrallycap
I would start praying REALLY hard then, because I think Crede is on short time.
yea, i am afraid so... :(
Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguana775
[/color]

let's see if he can contribute. so what if he's 31. he still has at least 4 or 5 years left if he can play like that up in the bigs.

[/color]

Nelson is a Ray Durham Clone, just not quite as talented. He's been a great player for the Knights, but I don't know how he'd do in Chicago, but it might be worth a chance. Remember, Willie was hitting .400 in over 100 AB's in AAA last year but couldn't hit a softball in the show.

Crede's defense is better than Fields', although Fields has potential to be pretty good if he cuts down on the silly mistakes. Both strike out too much, and although Fields is faster than Crede, who isn't?

Crede has at least done it for half a season in the majors out of ~2 seasons, Fields has only been doing it for what, 10 games?

I like Fields, but people need to settle down. Rotoworld needs to worry about football and basketball prospects, because most of their comments on baseball prospects I have seen are utter crap.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Rotoworld needs to worry about football and basketball prospects, because most of their comments on baseball prospects I have seen are utter crap.
LOL.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:47 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Rotoworld needs to worry about football and basketball prospects, because most of their comments on baseball prospects I have seen are utter crap.
Makes you wonder what people who scout football and basketball prospects would say about their comments.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Makes you wonder what people who scout football and basketball prospects would say about their comments.
I agree 100%. They seem to really be focused on the highest level players for fantasy purposes, and then just rely on little snippets they read from real legit sources, but just reword things so it sounds original.