White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2004, 10:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Gio Gonzalez with a nice outing

He only went 5 innings, but he gave up only three hits, with 3 Ks and no walks. This is definately a step in the right direction. This kid has the chance to be really good based on his stuff.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 08-09-2004, 10:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
He only went 5 innings, but he gave up only three hits, with 3 Ks and no walks. This is definately a step in the right direction. This kid has the chance to be really good based on his stuff.
And he has pin point control, he's still getting stretched out down there so he hasn't went more then 5 innings this year but he's definitely got a shot to be special.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Another impressive outing for Gio last night:

6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K

I am stunned at how quickly this kid has moved up. To have an 18 year old pitching this well at this level is extremely impressive.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Another impressive outing for Gio last night:

6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K

I am stunned at how quickly this kid has moved up. To have an 18 year old pitching this well at this level is extremely impressive.
I talked to him before their game on the 11th and he's a very confident kid. Interesting too, but after talking to a few other players, you can tell some of the immaturity or inexperience in his demeanor. I think that just comes with a full-season under your belt, but he's very confident in himself, maybe bordering a little on the cocky side.

It is a big jump from Bristol to Kannapolis, maybe the biggest one-level step in terms of talent, performance, and experience in all the Minor Leagues.

PS. Wes Whisler has great movement on his pitches, but damned if he has any repeatable mechanics right now. IMO, he looks like he has "Aluminum Bat Syndrome". He does appears hesitant at times to throw the ball anywhere near the plate, but it's hard to tell if his mechanics were failing him or it was mental. I definitely noticed he'd go through an at-bat or an inning where he just couldn't get the feel, then he'd come out and just look absolutely dominant the next 2 innings.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:21 AM
WSI Personality

randar did McCarthy seem cocky to you? I have heard he is quite cocky, irritating to some......... I guess I will form my own opinion over the next couple of weeks, but I was curious as to your impression.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
randar did McCarthy seem cocky to you? I have heard he is quite cocky, irritating to some......... I guess I will form my own opinion over the next couple of weeks, but I was curious as to your impression.
Not in the least bit. He and Kenny Ray were charting pitches and working the gun for Tracey's start and then they were both out there with Tracey for Paulino Reynoso's start, although they were all frustrated with how few strikes he was throwing. Reynoso is a human rain delay as well, not afraid to spend 2 hours to go 5 innings, despite having good stuff.

McCarthy was very friendly and frankly seemed outwardly humble about his success. He just knows how to pitch, has a great mentality for it, and I don't think he has much patience for other pitchers with great arms/stuff who just seem afraid to throw strikes or nit-pick the zone.

Rogo was just a great guy. Great interview, busted his ass all over the field, even in LF, was going through a slump but really seemed to be going about it well and we saw him have a great game the last day we were there, with a HR, double, stole 3rd base, and made a few REAL nice plays in the OF, including one tumbling over the fence along the LF line. Still runs like a deer, too, probably could have been a hell of a LB or DE. His throwing motion would probably have to be changed if he made the permanent switch to OF, as he has a lot of cross-body tail on his throws... and I MEAN A LOT!

Seemed to really have a great attitude, and everyone I talked to had nothing but nice things to say about both McCarthy and Rogo.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
It is a big jump from Bristol to Kannapolis, maybe the biggest one-level step in terms of talent, performance, and experience in all the Minor Leagues.
I agree, which goes back to how surprised I am at how well he has performed.

What is his pitch selection Randar?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I agree, which goes back to how surprised I am at how well he has performed.

What is his pitch selection Randar?
Fastball/curve/change. He's not working on any new pitches during the season, just working on adjusting, learning the game at this level. Curve is the out-pitch still. He is a very refined pitcher for his age, that's for sure. He commented several times about how shocking it was to him the difference in the hitters at Kanny. He hasn't been completely stretched out yet, but the coaches are taking it easy with him this year, not over-working him.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Not in the least bit. He and Kenny Ray were charting pitches and working the gun for Tracey's start and then they were both out there with Tracey for Paulino Reynoso's start, although they were all frustrated with how few strikes he was throwing. Reynoso is a human rain delay as well, not afraid to spend 2 hours to go 5 innings, despite having good stuff.

McCarthy was very friendly and frankly seemed outwardly humble about his success. He just knows how to pitch, has a great mentality for it, and I don't think he has much patience for other pitchers with great arms/stuff who just seem afraid to throw strikes or nit-pick the zone.

Rogo was just a great guy. Great interview, busted his ass all over the field, even in LF, was going through a slump but really seemed to be going about it well and we saw him have a great game the last day we were there, with a HR, double, stole 3rd base, and made a few REAL nice plays in the OF, including one tumbling over the fence along the LF line. Still runs like a deer, too, probably could have been a hell of a LB or DE. His throwing motion would probably have to be changed if he made the permanent switch to OF, as he has a lot of cross-body tail on his throws... and I MEAN A LOT!

Seemed to really have a great attitude, and everyone I talked to had nothing but nice things to say about both McCarthy and Rogo.
Like to hear that........