White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default *OFFICIAL* Minor league 2019 thread. Rubber meets the pavement

Carry on.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 PM
WSI Prelate

From what was posted in the now-closed thread, interesting that they're promoting Madrigal to AA now. I didn't think he was exactly outstanding this year at W-S. I'm eager to see how he does for the Barons.

Also, it looks like Basabe's injury that is sending him to the IL is quad tightness.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...uad-tightness/
Old 06-05-2019, 07:32 PM
WSI Prelate

The Barons played an early game today. Good game for top prospects:
Rutherford 1-4
Gonzalez 1-4, double
Sheets 2-4, HR (his 6th, equaling his HR total for all of 2018)
Rivera 2-3

Decent outings for pitchers, too:
Battenfield: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 7 K
Hansen: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Burdi: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

The bad news: Robert 0-4 with 2 strikeouts (bustwatch!)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

It's good to see the Birmingham batters starting to adjust a little. As we all know, AA is a big jump. These guys aren't the same class as Robert (or Eloy), so they may take more time to develop.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Charlotte wins.

Collins 2-4, Zavala 1-4 with a HR
Fulmer 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
Skole with 2 HRs. He has 17 on the season - tied for the league lead.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Madrigalís advancement surprised me. Not in a bad way. And not because I disagree with the Sox, either. But I guess they figure he needs the challenge. And letís not let a lack of home runs be any sort of indicator of how well Madrigal is performing at Birmingham, given Regions Fieldís notorious HR-suppressing characteristics.

I wonder how much longer Walker will be kept at Winston-Salem.

And I also wonder how much time at A/A+ Vaughn will get.

Madrigal, Walker, and Vaughn, are about the last of the position players who figure to hit the majors in time for the beginning of the projected contention window. We can probably add Burger to that group only because of his lost development time.

After that, weíre looking at position players who wouldnít be likely to hit the majors before 2023, if at all.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 AM
WSI Prelate

While no one should be considered a lock, I think itís is probable that the 2022 Sox include these starting position players:

C Collins
1B Vaughn
2B Madrigal
SS Anderson
3B Moncada
LF Eloy
CF Robert

For RF and DH, there are numerous internal possibilities: Basabe, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Walker, Sheets, and Burger.

If two among the collection of OFs make it as starters (or three as strong platoon players), then Eloy can be your DH. If only one makes it as a starter (or two as platoon partners), then Sheets or Burger can DH.

In other words, thereís a strong possibility the Sox starting lineup could be both entirely homegrown and quite productive, leaving significant resources to fill holes in the pitching staff. And if you can move Eloy to DH, you can be above average defensively everywhere other than catcher.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
While no one should be considered a lock, I think itís is probable that the 2022 Sox include these starting position players:

C Collins
1B Vaughn
2B Madrigal
SS Anderson
3B Moncada
LF Eloy
CF Robert

For RF and DH, there are numerous internal possibilities: Basabe, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Walker, Sheets, and Burger.

If two among the collection of OFs make it as starters (or three as strong platoon players), then Eloy can be your DH. If only one makes it as a starter (or two as platoon partners), then Sheets or Burger can DH.

In other words, thereís a strong possibility the Sox starting lineup could be both entirely homegrown and quite productive, leaving significant resources to fill holes in the pitching staff. And if you can move Eloy to DH, you can be above average defensively everywhere other than catcher.
We're pushing things back to 2022 now? :-) I would hope that all of these guys would be in the majors by 2021 (at least by April 16th, 2021), and most a year earlier (everyone other than Madrigal and Vaughn).

I know that a lot of people on this board don't have faith in the front office's ability to sign FAs, but I continue to believe that there will be at least 1-2 quality FA signings to augment the starting lineup. Maybe not a Machado-level mega-deal, but solid, productive players. RF and C (depending on Collins' defensive progress) seem like the most likely spots.

Rotation-wise, we've got Giolito/Kopech/Cease all but set in stone, then hopefully one of Lopez/Dunning, and one (mid-rotation) FA.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
We're pushing things back to 2022 now? :-) I would hope that all of these guys would be in the majors by 2021 (at least by April 16th, 2021), and most a year earlier (everyone other than Madrigal and Vaughn).

I know that a lot of people on this board don't have faith in the front office's ability to sign FAs, but I continue to believe that there will be at least 1-2 quality FA signings to augment the starting lineup. Maybe not a Machado-level mega-deal, but solid, productive players. RF and C (depending on Collins' defensive progress) seem like the most likely spots.

Rotation-wise, we've got Giolito/Kopech/Cease all but set in stone, then hopefully one of Lopez/Dunning, and one (mid-rotation) FA.
My thing is - I don't want a solid, productive FA. I want a home run, because this team is a home run from being a real contender, like REAL REAL.

Go get Cole next year, and know you are looking at something like Madrigal Robert Eloy Vaughn Moncada Anderson Collins where even having Tilson and Abreu round it out is fine (or use the money to get someone REALLY good in the lineup), Cole Gio Kopech Cease 1-4, and thats a team you can dream on
Old 06-06-2019, 11:55 AM
WSI Personality

Mookie Betts is determined to hit free agency from what everyone is saying. He'd be a HUGE get.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Mookie Betts is determined to hit free agency from what everyone is saying. He'd be a HUGE get.
Minor league thread material?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I wonder how much longer Walker will be kept at Winston-Salem.
He's off to a slow start at W-S. I expect him to spend the rest of the season there unless he really starts clicking a High A. Similar to Gonzalez and Sheets this year, I think he'll likely move up to AA at the start of next season.

Quote:
While no one should be considered a lock, I think it’s is probable that the 2022 Sox include these starting position players:

C Collins
1B Vaughn
2B Madrigal
SS Anderson
3B Moncada
LF Eloy
CF Robert

In other words, there’s a strong possibility the Sox starting lineup could be both entirely homegrown and quite productive, leaving significant resources to fill holes in the pitching staff. And if you can move Eloy to DH, you can be above average defensively everywhere other than catcher.
Wow - those last 6 players of the 7 you listed makes for an impressive list. Anderson and Moncada look like potential all-stars and the other 4 guys are all blue-chip prospects - perhaps all top 25 guys.

Collins is the biggest question mark on the list by far even though he's closer to the majors than several of the other guys. But, if he can be acceptable defensively as a catcher and provide somewhere in the ballpark of an .850 OPS in the majors, that's a huge win for this franchise. ...and I realize that's still a big "if".

Of the five "other" OFs you list, I hope that at least one them can rise up to be a quality MLB starting player. It would be rather disappointing if all 5 of them fizzle out. You may be able to add Bryce Bush to that list if he succeeds offensively and doesn't stick at 3B (he's been playing OF for Kannapolis this year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

Madrigal is already up at AA. So barring a set back, I would expect him to be up to Chicago by some time in the 2021 season at this rate. Maybe not necessarily mid-April, but perhaps before the All-Star Break.

That top 3 in the rotation looks very impressive on paper. All top of the rotation potential. Unfortunately, it drops off significantly after that - especially with Lopez's struggles and Dunning's injury. Like you said, maybe at least one of them makes it. I agree with the FA starter option. If the Sox can't pony up $ for a quality mid-rotation guy, then their effort to rebuild into a pennant contender is a farce.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:55 PM
WSI High Priest

They don't necessarily need to acquire this pitcher via the FA market - indeed, with the recent trend of upcoming FAs signing extensions, there are very few elite FAs out there to sign.

They can trade for a good major league pitcher. This is how prospects who aren't slated to hit the majors until 2023 or so can help the 2021 Sox win - by being traded for major leaguers.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-06-2019, 02:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Madrigal is already up at AA. So barring a set back, I would expect him to be up to Chicago by some time in the 2021 season at this rate. Maybe not necessarily mid-April, but perhaps before the All-Star Break.
I agree Madrigal will be in Chicago in 2021, but I doubt he'll be up in 2020 (which is what I was trying to say). Vaughn's bat is supposedly so advanced that I think he's on a similar timetable, even though Madrigal has a 1-year head start.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
They don't necessarily need to acquire this pitcher via the FA market - indeed, with the recent trend of upcoming FAs signing extensions, there are very few elite FAs out there to sign.

They can trade for a good major league pitcher. This is how prospects who aren't slated to hit the majors until 2023 or so can help the 2021 Sox win - by being traded for major leaguers.
Good point, but I'm greedy and want to keep all the prospects! At least those that would bring back the type of starter that this team needs. I still expect

I left Rodon out of my previous post on the rotation. He'll be back at some point, and hopefully he can stay healthy. He's at least in that group with Dunning and Lopez as potential guys to fill out the rotation. The worry with him is that he would leave as soon as he's eligible for FA, but how many teams are really going to be lining up to sign him? They're aware of his medical history.
Closed Thread