White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Exactly. The Sox can give DD a list of prospects they would take as headliners in an Abreu deal, and DD can do the work to trade JBJ (or other players) for one of those prospects. Hahn does not have to bear the risk of being stuck with JBJ.
You post a lot of good comments and have been around a long time. I hope your comments using initials is not going to catch on. It can be very difficult to match up initials with names at times.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-03-2017, 09:30 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
You post a lot of good comments and have been around a long time. I hope your comments using initials is not going to catch on. It can be very difficult to match up initials with names at times.
Thanks, I'll try to stop doing that. I've been on the other end, too, trying to follow a thread that goes on for a few pages and is interspersed with others.

DD = Dave Dombrowski
JBJ = Jackie Bradley Jr

By the way, Cafardo has backed off the Bradley rumor. Today in the Boston Globe he wrote "The Red Sox have asked the White Sox about Jose Abreu, but don't get too excited. According to a major league source, the White Sox will only deal him if they're blown away with an offer of top prospects, and it doesn't appear, at least for the moment, that the White Sox see that prospect package in the Red Sox' farm system."
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
By the way, Cafardo has backed off the Bradley rumor. Today in the Boston Globe he wrote "The Red Sox have asked the White Sox about Jose Abreu, but don't get too excited. According to a major league source, the White Sox will only deal him if they're blown away with an offer of top prospects, and it doesn't appear, at least for the moment, that the White Sox see that prospect package in the Red Sox' farm system."
Yes. It looks likely that it was never about keeping Bradley Jr.; it was about maximizing the return on Abreu. Bradley Jr. and other pieces from Boston may end up being a better return than prospect packages offered by other Abreu suitors like Colorado or St. Louis. If you canít find another team interested in giving up prospects for Bradley Jr., then you walk away from the deal. At least you explored every avenue.

All I know is that it would really help this franchiseís rebuild to make two ďsell highĒ moves with Jose Abreu and Avi Garcia when they are both at peak value.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:09 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
All I know is that it would really help this franchise’s rebuild to make two “sell high” moves with Jose Abreu and Avi Garcia when they are both at peak value.
Funny how a year ago, Abreu drew little interest, Avi had negative value, Swarzak and Kahnle were rubbish...and Nate Jones was going to be the most valuable piece after Q.

Selling high is crucial.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:32 AM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,547
Blog Entries: 52
Default

For whatever reason, the Sox have coveted Jackie Bradley Jr for a couple of years. That's why I didn't shrug these rumors off at first. I can still see this happening this month. No way do you get JBJ and Devers, but I'm not sure JBJ and Groome get it done.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 AM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Makes me wonder if Cameron has seen Abreu play.
.300 hitters who lead the majors in extra base hits always make teams worse don't you know. Because first base
__________________
"Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be."
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture
.300 hitters who lead the majors in extra base hits always make teams worse don't you know. Because first base
Cameronís point was that subtracting Bradley and replacing him with an inferior option in the outfield will go a long way toward negating any gain made by making the upgrade at 1B.

Again, this all depends on what you think Bradley will give you at the plate. Subtracting a CF who can hit nearly 25 home runs in his own right may not be the best move to make for a team that is starved for power.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
For whatever reason, the Sox have coveted Jackie Bradley Jr for a couple of years. That's why I didn't shrug these rumors off at first. I can still see this happening this month. No way do you get JBJ and Devers, but I'm not sure JBJ and Groome get it done.
If you get JBJ and Groome, its a bigger fleece than the Eaton trade.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:36 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
If you get JBJ and Groome, its a bigger fleece than the Eaton trade.
You overrate Groome, he's already missed time to multiple injuries and was very wild and ineffective in his short time in rookie ball. Add that to the character issues and his disaster of a family (criminal/drug dealer for a father) and you get someone you stay away from. High school pitchers are risky enough without the tons of baggage this kid carries.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
If you get JBJ and Groome, its a bigger fleece than the Eaton trade.
Neither one solves a need. If we're going to trade the best player on our team I'd rather it be for players we actually need.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White
Neither one solves a need. If we're going to trade the best player on our team I'd rather it be for players we actually need.
Honestly though, neither does Abreu. 1B and middle-of-the-order production for two non-competitive seasons is no more urgent of a ďneedĒ than anything else, so you may as well cash in the asset at its highest value. That may take place now, or that may take place in July if nothing materializes this offseason, but waiting until 2019 will result in a loss of trade value.

Besides, elite cost-controlled pitching is always a need.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-04-2017, 07:06 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Neither one solves a need. If we're going to trade the best player on our team I'd rather it be for players we actually need.
I canít think of too many needs the Sox DONíT have.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Cameron’s point was that subtracting Bradley and replacing him with an inferior option in the outfield will go a long way toward negating any gain made by making the upgrade at 1B.

Again, this all depends on what you think Bradley will give you at the plate. Subtracting a CF who can hit nearly 25 home runs in his own right may not be the best move to make for a team that is starved for power.
That would have to be one poor defensive center fielder to negate the difference between Abreu and their current options at first. Is the difference between JBJ and Benintendi really that great? From what I've seen he's not much of a hitter. I'd be seriously irked if the Sox gave up Abreu for that personally. I'd rather just plug in Robert.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-05-2017, 12:01 AM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I canít think of too many needs the Sox DONíT have.
Yeah, but we're talking projectionable needs not 2018 needs
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture
That would have to be one poor defensive center fielder to negate the difference between Abreu and their current options at first. Is the difference between JBJ and Benintendi really that great? From what I've seen he's not much of a hitter. I'd be seriously irked if the Sox gave up Abreu for that personally. I'd rather just plug in Robert.
Since Benintendi is already in the lineup anyway, the real difference is between Bradley Jr. and the new corner OF inserted into the lineup. The sum total of the two defensive downgrades, plus whatever offensive downgrade may exist, would be the basis for comparison.

Once again, Iím not interested in keeping Bradley Jr. once he is acquired. I donít think Hahn is, either.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.