White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 01:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Noesi has done a solid job as a #4 starter. He has had a few huge blowups, but way more solid starts than bad.

I really think he is the best righty starter in the organization, so I am glad to have him on board for next year and beyond.

Tyler was clutch all nite...could have had a 2homer nite easily...but he hustled to make third...good for him. He runs the bases so well for a big dude...nice.

Nice to see Jose Abreu back after a two game ''slump''.
Smart hitter, with great skills...nice combo.

Time to sweep a series, Sox....overdue.
I don't want him in the rotation next year. I don't mind him being on the roster, but I'd prefer it if he were the "12th man," working in long relief and making the occasional spot start.

I'm not going to call him filler, because I think he's better than the Rienzos and Axelrods of the world, but he's not the kind of guy I want to pencil in for 30 starts and 200 innings.

I know he's had some decent outings lately, but wins over Houston, Minnesota and Texas don't really sway me that he's a long-term answer in the rotation. He's had too many games where he's blown up in the early innings and put the Sox in a deep hole.

Nice outing last night by him, though. He recovered well after a rocky first couple innings.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Backhanded compliment?

Most definitely....where are all our righty starters?

Still, good pickup by the Sox for nothing.

Eaton .309
Abreu .305
Gillaspie .315
Alexei .288

When was the last time the Sox have had 4 guys hitting for average like that?

I like it.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Most definitely....where are all our righty starters?

Still, good pickup by the Sox for nothing.

Eaton .309
Abreu .305
Gillaspie .315
Alexei .288

When was the last time the Sox have had 4 guys hitting for average like that?

I like it.
That, I can agree with. Given that Noesi was a waiver pickup, the Sox have gotten some decent innings from him. It's worked out much better than some other pitching acquisitions lately. But I would stop short of saying, "This guy needs to be in the rotation next year."

We'll see how he finishes the season. Maybe he can stick here in some role, but I just don't think that role should be "No. 4 starter."
Old 08-05-2014, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
They probably miss their old glasses.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
That, I can agree with. Given that Noesi was a waiver pickup, the Sox have gotten some decent innings from him. It's worked out much better than some other pitching acquisitions lately. But I would stop short of saying, "This guy needs to be in the rotation next year."

We'll see how he finishes the season. Maybe he can stick here in some role, but I just don't think that role should be "No. 4 starter."
JB, what about #5 starter? His performance so far seems about #5 starter material - a couple of real good games, some decent games, and some blow ups. He's also shown some resolve in going fairly deep into games after really bad starts. His start against Detroit is a good example. He gave up 6 runs in the first inning, but he still made it through 6 innings, and he easily could have started the 7th. Ventura's pulled him relatively early, at least based on pitch count, a few times.

Sure, don't hand him anything and let's see how he does the rest of the year; however, Noesi is only 27, has only made 39 career starts, and doesn't make a lot of money. If the guy can make all his starts, be around 0.500, and eat some innings, that seems like a good return at #5 starter.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't want him in the rotation next year. I don't mind him being on the roster, but I'd prefer it if he were the "12th man," working in long relief and making the occasional spot start.

I'm not going to call him filler, because I think he's better than the Rienzos and Axelrods of the world, but he's not the kind of guy I want to pencil in for 30 starts and 200 innings.

I know he's had some decent outings lately, but wins over Houston, Minnesota and Texas don't really sway me that he's a long-term answer in the rotation. He's had too many games where he's blown up in the early innings and put the Sox in a deep hole.

Nice outing last night by him, though. He recovered well after a rocky first couple innings.
I feel the same way. Noesi has a plus fastball and a good cutter but his curveball is average and he rarely throws the change up effectively. I feel like if Noesi could gain better command of his change up, he could be a very good starting pitcher when paired with his plus velocity. You could certainly do worse than Noesi as your #5 starter but I think his limited arsenal of pitches combined with the hard throwing stuff he features might profile better as a short reliever where he could really air it out for an inning or two. He has a good arm though and I'd like to see him back on the team in some capacity.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Last edited by Foulke You; 08-05-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I looked up his log in baseball reference....after his first start where he was truly transitioning from the bullpen to starter...he had 11 good starts and 5 bad starts.

The team is 9-8 in games he started after that first 3.2 inning start vs Detroit.

If that is not good enough to make the Sox rotation, they will need to find a couple of good starters in the offseason.
I think his #4 this year, but should be #5 next year, if he makes it.

I like how efficient he often is, seems like our only pitcher who can keep the pitch count low enough to get thru 7 without cracking 100.

If the Sox find two studs, fine, bullpen, but somehow I doubt they find two studs this offseason. Maybe one, and start to train Rodon in the bullpen, but hard to find two, plus Rodon.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:36 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
If the Sox find two studs, fine, bullpen, but somehow I doubt they find two studs this offseason. Maybe one, and start to train Rodon in the bullpen, but hard to find two, plus Rodon.
Rodon is not going to get seasoned in the Sox's bullpen, when he comes here, he comes to the rotation
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
To me he's the Sox #3 right now, so I won't mind him at all as #5 next year.

The thing about him and the pen is that the Sox when they claimed him, immediately put him in the rotation, even though he had been in the bullpen of the prior teams (and had, obviously, pitched poorly there). They seem to see him as a starter.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The thing about him and the pen is that the Sox when they claimed him, immediately put him in the rotation, even though he had been in the bullpen of the prior teams (and had, obviously, pitched poorly there). They seem to see him as a starter.
Well, they also picked him up at about the time they lost 3/5 of their Opening Day rotation to injury and ineffectiveness. It's not like at any point of this season have we been stacked with competent SP.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well, they also picked him up at about the time they lost 3/5 of their Opening Day rotation to injury and ineffectiveness. It's not like at any point of this season have we been stacked with competent SP.
And as a result, they had to stretch Noesi out via starting major league games. Given that, he's done pretty well. Again, with all the other roster holes the Sox will likely be looking to fill, I imagine the Sox could see him on the back end of next year's rotation.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I feel the same way. Noesi has a plus fastball and a good cutter but his curveball is average and he rarely throws the change up effectively. I feel like if Noesi could gain better command of his change up, he could be a very good starting pitcher when paired with his plus velocity. You could certainly do worse than Noesi as your #5 starter but I think his limited arsenal of pitches combined with the hard throwing stuff he features might profile better as a short reliever where he could really air it out for an inning or two. He has a good arm though and I'd like to see him back on the team in some capacity.
Yeah, he really doesn't have anything off-speed that is above average, and he walks a few too many as well.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind him as a swing man. But right now, I'm seeing next year's rotation as Sale, Quintana, Danks, Rodon and somebody from outside the organization. Maybe Noesi stays in the rotation if Rodon is not ready to be a major leaguer when 2015 begins.