White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Soxman219 Soxman219 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Munster, Indiana
Posts: 3,147
Default

Nice road trip!
__________________
Setbacks are setups for comebacks
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
This team has and had a rag tag pitching staff except for their 1 and 2 all year. Relief staffs are hit and miss every year, this years its been a miss. They have 5 starting players that arent worth a bag of balls and to be this close to .500, I call that overachieving, if you dont think so thats your prerogative.
If you call overachieving having fewer wins than they realistically could have without a few mistakes, including losing six of seven games that could have been won, three on the last pitch of the game, losing two of three against the Royals, a mark of overachievement, we disagree on the definition.

There are some personnel changes I would like to make, but this team isn't as bad as you insist it is.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If you call overachieving having fewer wins than they realistically could have without a few mistakes, including losing six of seven games that could have been won, three on the last pitch of the game, losing two of three against the Royals, a mark of overachievement, we disagree on the definition.

There are some personnel changes I would like to make, but this team isn't as bad as you insist it is.
Baseball is a 162-game season of many if this and if thats, and this team will continue to amass them because it doesn't have the talent necessary to minimize those ifs.

"Hey, if we just had a bullpen, this team would be near first place!"

You do realize a bullpen is like 25% of a team?

"Hey, if the Bulls only had a shooting guard who averaged 25 points a game last year while all the other guys performed exactly as they did, they would have won the East!"
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 PM
captain54 captain54 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Evergreen Park
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Reinsdorf will open up the purse strings in the off season and we will contend in 2015. .
I seriously do not see that happening.. the attendance is still gonna suck in 2014.. unless season tickets can miraculously bounce back in 2015. I think they are looking to spend with what is coming off the books...

Hopefully, they make the bullpen a HUGE priority..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Baseball is a 162-game season of many if this and if thats, and this team will continue to amass them because it doesn't have the talent necessary to minimize those ifs.

"Hey, if we just had a bullpen, this team would be near first place!"

You do realize a bullpen is like 25% of a team?

"Hey, if the Bulls only had a shooting guard who averaged 25 points a game last year while all the other guys performed exactly as they did, they would have won the East!"
The first place team hasn't had a great bullpen either.

But the talent on the White Sox, at least as a team as opposed to sums of individuals is either greater than you and some others want to admit or Ventura is doing a great job managing.

I read here that the team sucks and the manager sucks but the team is pretty close to being the average MLB team this year. It is inconsistent to maintain the team is overachieving while maintaining that the manager is incompetent. Critics of the team can't have it both ways. Well, they can, but the argument lacks a certain integrity.

I don't happen to believe the White Sox or their manager are as bad as I often read at WSI.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 AM
cub killer cub killer is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,223
Default

Yet another 4 hour plus 9-inning game. Not that I'm complaining, but what's the Sox' game length record for a 9-inning tilt?

So when they pulled Jackson from the OF, was the trade official already, or did they have to pull him from the game, then execute the trade? I'd think it's the latter, otherwise we were playing against 8 Tigers and 1 Mariner
__________________
Please stop playing that song before every game, MLB. Francis Scott Key was a racist: http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/10042
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,244
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Yes it does- and I think Ventura (while he has made mistakes) has done a nice job with this mediocre roster only a few game < .500 and still showing some fight.
Yeah for as much flak as Ventura (deservedly) gets around here for some crazy decisions he makes, he stil has a team that roughly 2/3 of its starting lineup are completely unwanted by any other MLB team.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It is inconsistent to maintain the team is overachieving while maintaining that the manager is incompetent.
Why? I have heard from a select group of posters here on WSI that the manager basically has little effect on his team.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-01-2014, 11:31 AM
hawkjt hawkjt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
This team has and had a rag tag pitching staff except for their 1 and 2 all year. Relief staffs are hit and miss every year, this years its been a miss. They have 5 starting players that arent worth a bag of balls and to be this close to .500, I call that overachieving, if you dont think so thats your prerogative.

And yet, the Sox are 4th in the AL in quality starts at 60.

Coop has done a good job with this starting staff.
Noesi and Carroll have has some good outings sprinkled in among blowups.

The bullpen has been in disarray since the top two guys went down early.
Jones and Lindstrom were going to the veteran anchors in a young unproven bullpen, and they went down early....so go figure that they struggled.

If they have a lockdown bullpen, they are right there with the Tigers.
Losing Garcia was like the Tigers losing Vic Martinez....it hurts.

For all the bellyaching on here, this team is fun to watch and is full of young talent.
Eaton is one of the better centerfielder/leadoff guys in the league,and one of the more exciting runners since Pods or Ray.

Abreu is a total stud.

Even Flowers is inching toward hitting .250 which is good enough for a catcher.
I think this team believes they can make a run....they are playing well right now with starters who give them a chance about 80% of the starts.
The hitting is coming around, getting closer to that April hot start again.

I am not giving up on this team, but the Tigers might have stuck the stake in the heart of the division with the Price addition, but they still have to play on the field....they have lost 6 of 7...not exactly hot.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-02-2014, 09:12 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 5,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah for as much flak as Ventura (deservedly) gets around here for some crazy decisions he makes, he stil has a team that roughly 2/3 of its starting lineup are completely unwanted by any other MLB team.
With 23 "come from behind wins"- - there's alot of fight in this team- reminds me of the Torborg teams-
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
2014 Record: 2-3
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.