White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 02:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Tigers just got David Price
Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
For Austin Jackson and Drew Smyly. Jackson was just pulled off the field and that's the first time I have ever seen that.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Wow they just took Austin Jackson out in a middle of a game because of this trade.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:34 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Wow they just took Austin Jackson out in a middle of a game because of this trade.
Dave Dombrowksi came into the dugout and checked his watch. Paciorek said that it was 4 min to 4pm ET and thought that he was pulled due to the trade deadline.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
For Austin Jackson and Drew Smyly. Jackson was just pulled off the field and that's the first time I have ever seen that.

In 1976, I was watching a White Sox game against the Rangers where Bill Singer was pitching after it was announced he was traded to the Twins in a trade that seemed to hurt both teams. The White Sox knocked him out in the sixth, his last pitch as a Ranger being ball four for a bases-loaded walk to Jorge Orta. The Sox tied the game in the eighth but lost it in 16. Bill Veeck protested the game, but the protest was denied.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Dave Dombrowksi came into the dugout and checked his watch. Paciorek said that it was 4 min to 4pm ET and thought that he was pulled due to the trade deadline.
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8878994...ield/?c_id=mlb

Did the White Sox feed actually show Dombrowski in the dugout? The clip here from the Tigers site doesn't show Dombrowski, unless he poked his head in to talk to Ausmus then quickly left.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

Did the White Sox feed actually show Dombrowski in the dugout? The clip here from the Tigers site doesn't show Dombrowski, unless he poked his head in to talk to Ausmus then quickly left.
Yes, it did.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Yes, they showed Dombrowski in the dugout tunnel. Stone and Paciorek did a great job that inning. They were on top of all the trade reports, they knew Jackson was part of the trade, and they were speculating about when Dombrowski planned to tell him.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
In 1976, I was watching a White Sox game against the Rangers where Bill Singer was pitching after it was announced he was traded to the Twins in a trade that seemed to hurt both teams. The White Sox knocked him out in the sixth, his last pitch as a Ranger being ball four for a bases-loaded walk to Jorge Orta. The Sox tied the game in the eighth but lost it in 16. Bill Veeck protested the game, but the protest was denied.
I was at the Cubs-Mets game in 1982 when Joel Youngblood got traded to the Expos. He had two hits for the Mets in that game. The Mets pulled him from the game and he caught a flight to Philadelphia, where he got a hit for the Expos that night. I remember thinking at the time how weird that was, to see a player taken out of the game so he could get to where the other team was playing.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Quote:

"Dave was right there in the dugout," Max Scherzer said, "and he's on the phone with the Commissioner's Office, and he's screaming, 'You've gotta get Austin off the field! You've gotta get Austin off the field!' So it was a Deadline deal."

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/a...&vkey=news_det
Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post
I was at the Cubs-Mets game in 1982 when Joel Youngblood got traded to the Expos. He had two hits for the Mets in that game. The Mets pulled him from the game and he caught a flight to Philadelphia, where he got a hit for the Expos that night. I remember thinking at the time how weird that was, to see a player taken out of the game so he could get to where the other team was playing.
For how important each game can be and the risk of a player getting hurt, I don't blame them for pulling right away. The last thing you want is the player becoming damaged goods and nullifying or impacting the trade. Youngblood is one of my Dad's favorite baseball trivia game.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 AM
WSI High Priest

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/29061...l#.U-DrI_ldUbg

Reads a lot like damage control from Kenny. I did forget since Rick took over how nice it is to not have someone talking about championships when the team lacks talent and can't even get to .500.

I liked Kenny's aggressiveness and I do believe he truly wanted to win every year, but the whole "build an 82 win team, hope they over achieve, and mention every interview how building a title contender was the only goal" got old quick.

Hopefully next year comes with 2 new SP, a new 2b, LF, DH and a couple relievers. Then we can talk.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/29061...l#.U-DrI_ldUbg

Reads a lot like damage control from Kenny. I did forget since Rick took over how nice it is to not have someone talking about championships when the team lacks talent and can't even get to .500.

I liked Kenny's aggressiveness and I do believe he truly wanted to win every year, but the whole "build an 82 win team, hope they over achieve, and mention every interview how building a title contender was the only goal" got old quick.

Hopefully next year comes with 2 new SP, a new 2b, LF, DH and a couple relievers. Then we can talk.

Kenny is very involved in every deal that Hahn makes so any credit that goes to Hahn has to also go to Kenny.

So, he should not have said he wanted to win every year? That would have gone over very well. ...like the US soccer coach who said the US had no shot at the World Cup....fans really embraced that attitude.

I have no doubt that Kenny is expressing the teams attitude...the plan is to get good as fast as possible....not good?

Of course, ''The Plan'' as authored by Theo sounds more serious, since it is taking 5-6 years of total ineptitude to get there....Kenny should go that way? I am sure Sox fans will be patient.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Kenny is very involved in every deal that Hahn makes so any credit that goes to Hahn has to also go to Kenny.

So, he should not have said he wanted to win every year? That would have gone over very well. ...like the US soccer coach who said the US had no shot at the World Cup....fans really embraced that attitude.

I have no doubt that Kenny is expressing the teams attitude...the plan is to get good as fast as possible....not good?

Of course, ''The Plan'' as authored by Theo sounds more serious, since it is taking 5-6 years of total ineptitude to get there....Kenny should go that way? I am sure Sox fans will be patient.
To be honest, I don't think Kenny has his hands in everything. I thought (though could be wrong) I remember that one of Rick's contingencies was they they let him be the GM, and run and build his team. That has already been felt with the move towards a more SABR/OBP approach. I think he is involved in a lot of areas, but I think Rick gets to be the GM, he is not just a mouth piece.

I don't have a problem with Kenny mentioning he wants to improve the team, he wants to win. I really do believe that. But for all the years we had Kenny, all we ever heard AFTER the world series was how he was building another team that would win another world series. And outside of 2006, none of those teams were ever close to good enough. I guess with Kenny, I more want to see results, I got tired of hearing about them.

An easier way to say it, we have not "competed for a championship" in nearly 10 years. We have won exactly 1 playoff game since then, and lost int he ALDS 3-1. If you want to talk about perennially winning, then be ready to win perennially