White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 04:29 PM
WSI Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
Put me in the camp of having the Saturday before the last game of the season being "Paul Konerko Day" Saturday night, could get a big crowd for him and a fireworks show after the game to make sure the majority of the crowd stays the whole time.

It'd be sad to see 14,000 people there on Konerkos last game on Sunday.
Of course it has to be Packers/Bears that day. I don't care, I'll be there in my Konerko jersey seeing Paulie play for the last time. I wouldn't miss it for anything.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_the_wolf View Post
Definitely Konerko; Buehrle? Honestly, I'm not sure if they will.
No No, perfecto, started a world series game and saved one the next night. 7th in WAR, 4th in K's and 6th in wins for all time White Sox pitchers. Probably the best fielding pitcher the Sox ever had and a huge fan favorite.

Lock imo.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
No No, perfecto, started a world series game and saved one the next night. 7th in WAR, 4th in K's and 6th in wins for all time White Sox pitchers. Probably the best fielding pitcher the Sox ever had and a huge fan favorite.

Lock imo.
Faber: 1st in WAR, 2nd in wins, 2nd in innings, 3rd in strikeouts, 2nd in complete games, 3 wins in the World Series.

Retire #18 and then we can talk about retiring #56.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Faber: 1st in WAR, 2nd in wins, 2nd in innings, 3rd in strikeouts, 2nd in complete games, 3 wins in the World Series.

You know who else wore #18?

Fella by the name of Bevington
Old 07-22-2014, 05:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post

It never ceases to amaze me that every time I hear/read that name, I just chuckle and shake my head. I'm having a crappy day at work and I needed that.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haganaga View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that every time I hear/read that name, I just chuckle and shake my head. I'm having a crappy day at work and I needed that.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

For the record, Jim Kaat was the best fielding pitcher in Sox history.

Faber definitely needs his number retired. And Appling does need a statue.

I think you retire Konerko's number on the final day of the season. Saturday is the day when news gets the least noticed. The people who care about Konerko will be in the stands Sunday. You retire his number before the game, start him at first base and let him play the whole game.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I suspect that the reason 18 isn't retired is because the White Sox didn't start wearing numbers until 1931 (according to baseball-reference). Even then Faber only wore in '31 and '33, in 1932 he wore number 19.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
For the record, Jim Kaat was the best fielding pitcher in Sox history.

Faber definitely needs his number retired. And Appling does need a statue.

I think you retire Konerko's number on the final day of the season. Saturday is the day when news gets the least noticed. The people who care about Konerko will be in the stands Sunday. You retire his number before the game, start him at first base and let him play the whole game.
Wrong. Anyone who thinks the Sox would win a head-to-head with the Bears (vs the Packers no less!) is in serious denial. Speaking for myself: I'm a bigger Sox fan than Bears fan, and Konerko is my favorite Sox player ever, and I'd still choose the Bears game. It wouldn't even be a tough call for casual fans. Just being real.

Do it Saturday, though, and you'd sell it out. Easy call.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Wrong. Anyone who thinks the Sox would win a head-to-head with the Bears (vs the Packers no less!) is in serious denial. Speaking for myself: I'm a bigger Sox fan than Bears fan, and Konerko is my favorite Sox player ever, and I'd still choose the Bears game. It wouldn't even be a tough call for casual fans. Just being real.

Do it Saturday, though, and you'd sell it out. Easy call.

Wrong. You do it on the last day of the season regardless of anything else. No way that either day sells out though.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
Wrong. You do it on the last day of the season regardless of anything else. No way that either day sells out though.
Does Konerko deserve to have 100% of the Chicago media attention, or does he deserve to be relegated to the last 30 seconds of the local news and page 5 of the sports section? Because if you do it on Sunday, against Bears-Packers, it's a total afterthought to the vast majority.

The Yankees are retiring #2 on like Sept. 7 or something. Not sure why some here have this last-day-of-the-season fixation as if that's The Way It Has To Be.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Does Konerko deserve to have 100% of the Chicago media attention, or does he deserve to be relegated to the last 30 seconds of the local news and page 5 of the sports section? Because if you do it on Sunday, against Bears-Packers, it's a total afterthought to the vast majority.

The Yankees are retiring #2 on like Sept. 7 or something. Not sure why some here have this last-day-of-the-season fixation as if that's The Way It Has To Be.
You're exactly right. If the Sox' ceremony for Konerko is on the same day as Bears-Packers, there will be more coverage in the papers regarding how Patrick Mannelly's successor as the Bears' long snapper is progressing than info and quotes from Konerko.

Shoot, there might be more stuff in the papers regarding the Cubs' minor-league players. Heaven forbid one or more of those guys are called up or already playing in the bigs.

At least on Saturday for Sunday's paper, the primary competition for space would be college football.

For what he's done for the Sox, Konerko deserves as much ink as possible.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Who cares about the media attention that we all know will never be 100% in this town. I can pretty much guarantee that PK can care less about the media attention. The ceremony will be for PK and the fans, not the media.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:46 AM
WSI High Priest

What's the deal with #6? I know Beckham wanted it but it is "unofficially" retired?

#14 is obvious.

Not so sure about #56. I'm thinking no, unless he comes back for a couple of years.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
Who cares about the media attention that we all know will never be 100% in this town. I can pretty much guarantee that PK can care less about the media attention. The ceremony will be for PK and the fans, not the media.
You think fan attention (even specifically White Sox fan attention) will be as high during the middle of a Bears-Packers game as it would be the day before? News flash: Most Sox fans are Bears fans (not to mention a significant minority that are Packers fans), and at best their attention will be divided on Sunday. But on Saturday, the Sox are the only game in town.

Why not give Paulie the biggest audience possible? The biggest audience possible is going to be on Saturday the 27th. In fact, if you do it on Sunday the 28th, you're actually probably looking at the smallest audience possible, outside of doing it on a Tuesday afternoon or something.