White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 02:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Yankees Acquire Chase Headley from Padres

Interesting. NYY didn't give up much and he could revive his career in that ballpark:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...e-headley.html
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-22-2014, 03:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Supposedly the Yanks are talking to the Sox about Jon Danks also.

Mixed feelings on that...Danks still has several years on his deal and has 14 quality starts of 20 total.

It would be a clear salary dump, and a white flag on the season.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Don't be so sure of that!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post

Mixed feelings on that...Danks still has several years on his deal and has 14 quality starts of 20 total.

Normally, I lean on the side of "go for it" but in this case...the Yanks have deep pockets and are loaded with catchers so if the Sox can get a decent catcher AND get full salary relief from Danks, I think you have to make that deal even when factoring in our current proximity to the 2nd wild card. Also, Johnny was paid to be a top of the rotation guy when he got that contract. At this stage of his career with his diminished velocity, I think he tops out as a solid #3 starter. I would much rather spend that $15 million on a guy like James Shields next year to sandwich between Sale and Quintana in the rotation.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
This season was a white flag before one pitch was thrown. That is not me saying that with any disgust or anger at all - we all should have known what this season clearly was intended to be.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-22-2014, 04:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would take a peanut vendor for John Danks. Please be that desperate Yanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:28 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Normally, I lean on the side of "go for it" but in this case...the Yanks have deep pockets and are loaded with catchers so if the Sox can get a decent catcher AND get full salary relief from Danks, I think you have to make that deal even when factoring in our current proximity to the 2nd wild card. Also, Johnny was paid to be a top of the rotation guy when he got that contract. At this stage of his career with his diminished velocity, I think he tops out as a solid #3 starter. I would much rather spend that $15 million on a guy like James Shields next year to sandwich between Sale and Quintana in the rotation.
When Danks was signed he was paid as a top line starter but inflation has kicked in. 15M is way too low for Shields and the term will be long. At this point I wouldnt mind the Sox eating some of Danks salary and getting more return. I just got a sneaky suspicion a salary dump wont help the team much in the future. I dont see the Sox competing with the big boys for the top tier FA's and it will turn into "oh well we tried" as the money goes into the Sox coffers.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Seriously? A white flag on what at best will be a .500 season? I don't care if the Sox are close to the 2nd WC position, winning that spot (if they could, which I seriously doubt) does nothing to improve the club for the next several years. Trading Danks and getting back possibly one of the C prospects the Yankees have as well as salary relief is more important than winning the 2nd WC spot.

This is not the KW era any longer. Fans have to accept that the Sox for the next couple years are not going to go down the path KW chose and try to be competitive every year. If a move can be made that is going to benefit the team for the next several years then that move should be made.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Seriously? A white flag on what at best will be a .500 season? I don't care if the Sox are close to the 2nd WC position, winning that spot (if they could, which I seriously doubt) does nothing to improve the club for the next several years. Trading Danks and getting back possibly one of the C prospects the Yankees have as well as salary relief is more important than winning the 2nd WC spot.

This is not the KW era any longer. Fans have to accept that the Sox for the next couple years are not going to go down the path KW chose and try to be competitive every year. If a move can be made that is going to benefit the team for the next several years then that move should be made.
Amen!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
When Danks was signed he was paid as a top line starter but inflation has kicked in. 15M is way too low for Shields and the term will be long. At this point I wouldnt mind the Sox eating some of Danks salary and getting more return. I just got a sneaky suspicion a salary dump wont help the team much in the future. I dont see the Sox competing with the big boys for the top tier FA's and it will turn into "oh well we tried" as the money goes into the Sox coffers.
The Sox have always shown the willingness to spend like an upper mid-market team. They get a set budget number from JR and they usually spend around that number and don't go a penny more. For this reason, I'd be surprised if all the expiring contracts don't get reallocated to new players.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post

If the Sox could land a decent catching prospect, that changes it up for me rather quickly. I was hearing the Sox would not get much but salary relief. Danks is still an asset , and if he wins 13-14 games, they could move him in the offseason for better prospects.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This season was a white flag before one pitch was thrown. That is not me saying that with any disgust or anger at all - we all should have known what this season clearly was intended to be.
Agreed