White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 AM
WSI High Priest

They should do an "In Memorium" before each ASG- honor all the former All Stars who have passed away since the last All Star game. 100% objective criteria- if you made an All Star team at least once (whether you were Pat Kelly (1973 WSox rep) or Hank Aaron (24 All Star games)- your picture goes up on the screen in a brief ceremony. I think the Sox did that on Opening Day- it was pretty cool.

As for Jeter- it was a overblown on the broadcast- but he was the shortstop for the NYY while they won multiple World Series, he collected 3410 hits-7th all time in major league history(he'll probably end up between Honus Wagner (#6) and Tris Speaker (#5), , he was 100% clean, and seems like a good guy to me who still loves the game, one of the top players of his era- I don't blame him for the media overdoing it.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."

Last edited by TomBradley72; 07-19-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
It's a good thing for you that you didn't watch.

I like Derek Jeter and i'm glad he's getting a great send off after a great career, but come on! The ASG telecast on Tuesday was pretty much non-stop over the top Jeter Jeter Jeter.

The honoring of Jeter was ridiculously over the top. Do all future HOF players get such non stop fawning at their last all-star game?
In 1983, Johnny Bench and Carl Yastrzemski were named to the All-Star teams in their farewell season. Both received standing ovations in the pregame introductions and their lone plate appearances
Old 07-19-2014, 08:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Fox Sports isn't geared for baseball fans. It's geared for the masses, generally people with short attention spans, a characteristic that gets in the way of enjoying baseball. The Jeter stuff gives people a reason to care about watching. No real analysis. It's the way they cover all their baseball. The network doesn't have enough confidence in their product to cover it intelligently, not believing they will attract high ratings if they do.
I was thinking the same thing. The Fox network has been a circus sideshow from the beginning: always louder and with more sizzle than the other networks. That's how they chose to set themselves apart from the established networks they were competing against, and the hagiographic treatment of Jeter was consistent with that. It's of a piece with the microphones in the bases, the camera buried in the batter's box, the sound effects, the constant graphics, the incessant on-field interviews during the game, and Joe Buck's too-cool-for-school delivery.

I don't like it, but I'm not their target audience. It must work, because they've got advertisers willing to pay big money for commercial time.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

He's been the undisputed team leader of the most popular sports team in America for close to 20 years. How can anyone seriously be surprised people want to celebrate anything he does in his last year?

So what if he didn't have the best stats on the team, or wasn't whatever. He was the leader and glue guy for that organization for years. He was the guy chosen to carry on the Yankee traditions. He means more to the franchise than any stat. He's immensely popular with their fans and immediately joins the likes of the Yankee greats in their fans' minds.

This thread from a fanbase that overall bemoaned the loss of Aaron Rowand for years.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
In 1983, Johnny Bench and Carl Yastrzemski were named to the All-Star teams in their farewell season. Both received standing ovations in the pregame introductions and their lone plate appearances
But, they did wayyyyy more than that for Jeter. In fact, I would say the appropriate send off Bench and Yaz got argues in favor of my point.

Having Jeter simply get a stand O during the pregame intros and then during his plate appearances would have been great. But mentioning his name 100 times during the broadcast is a bit ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I disagree with that and here is why.

When I was kid, it was Jeter-Arod-Nomar. The big 3. Nomar could not stay healthy, and Arod proved to be a fraud. So when you look at the entire body of work, I think he was the best all around SS for a long time. When you add up the awards, the titles, I think he was. He was just shoved down our throats a little more because he was a Yankee, but that didn't make his career any easier.
Nomar was one of the "big 3"? According to who? Players like Ken Griffey Jr. and Greg Maddux might beg to differ.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Nomar was one of the "big 3"? According to who? Players like Ken Griffey Jr. and Greg Maddux might beg to differ.
Shortstops, dude, shortstops.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Shortstops, dude, shortstops.
Ah, got it. Missed the connection of the three.

Nonetheless, I'm still entitled to my opinion that the coverage of Jeter during the ASG was way over the top. This doesn't make me a Yankee hater or an Aaron Rowand lover or whatever.

I just think the coverage was too much. Period. And that's my opinion regardless of who wants to shout that down or mock my opinion.

....and to clarify, i'm not aiming this response at you.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:18 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
He's been the undisputed team leader of the most popular sports team in America for close to 20 years. How can anyone seriously be surprised people want to celebrate anything he does in his last year?

So what if he didn't have the best stats on the team, or wasn't whatever. He was the leader and glue guy for that organization for years. He was the guy chosen to carry on the Yankee traditions. He means more to the franchise than any stat. He's immensely popular with their fans and immediately joins the likes of the Yankee greats in their fans' minds.

This thread from a fanbase that overall bemoaned the loss of Aaron Rowand for years.
I don't think many in the thread have said don't honor him at all.

But having the whole night dedicated to him, and mentioning him over 100 times in the broadcast? That's a bit much.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.