White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I guess I would rather have incomplete information than no information at all. MLB.com has pretty easy-to-browse writeups every season on the Top 100.
Guess what? I read them, but feel I need more before judging myself qualified to rate all 30 mlb farm systems.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Anyone can keep trading Major League players for young talent. At some point, especially years into a rebuilding process, you need to improve the big club -- particularly when you have one of the most expensive ticket prices in baseball.
The Cubs aren't the Marlins though. While their rebuild is taking a lot longer than Cubs fans would like (who doesn't want instant gratification when it comes to a rebuild), I think you'll see them acquire some top FA pitchers over the next two years with them starting with taking a long look at Scherzer this offseason.

The Tigers may have a hard time giving him what he wants plus what they owe/will likely owe other guys in increases (Verlander, Porcello, Jackson) and re-signing/replacing other FA players (Hunter, Martinez). That being said, Ilitch could open the purse strings and say, "Hey, I'm ok with us going over $180 million."
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Guess what? I read them, but feel I need more before judging myself qualified to rate all 30 mlb farm systems.
That's why people read analyses from experts, who hopefully considered a great amount of the information you laid out as necessary to properly analyze - so they don't have to do it themselves. You seem to just be dismissing out of hand any analysis that isn't your own.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-14-2014, 07:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That's why people read analyses from experts, who hopefully considered a great amount of the information you laid out as necessary to properly analyze - so they don't have to do it themselves. You seem to just be dismissing out of hand any analysis that isn't your own.
It depends on the subject. I've done work that made it necessary for me to rely heavily on "experts" at times. I just find rating baseball prospects a very iffy proposition. Remember the White Sox had the best farm system in 2000-01.

Last edited by SI1020; 07-14-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
One thing the Cubs do is get lucky with their players in they are showcasing. Samardjiza has a career year; they have marketable middle relievers. Garza had a great year. Ours get injured or clown it up half the year (like Rios) or just plain tank.
Peavy pitched well enough to yield us Avisail Garcia but yes, the Cubs have been remarkably fortunate to get plus years out of reclamations like Feldman, Hammell, etc. However, Theo's one big free agent signing, Edwin Jackson, has been a colossal bust for them.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin