White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
WSI Regular

Default 24 year anniversary of Andy Hawkins losing no-hitter

On July 1, 1990 (the Yankees final game ever at Old Comiskey), the Sox won 4-0 despite failing to get a hit off of Andy Hawkins of New York. How many were at this game or remember watching it on TV? I was there as an eight-year-old. I remember it was bat giveaway day to all the kids so I was pretty enthused about that. The wind was doing crazy things all day which resulted in two Yankee outfielders dropping fly balls in the four-run bottom of the eighth. Greg Hibbard had a perfect game of his own through the first five innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99007010.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ttrw_WtgK0
Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

I remember getting home in time to see the last 4 innings on television. It was a crazy game. 1990 was a crazy, fun season -- one of my favorite teams.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 PM
WSI Personality

Default July 1, 1910

On July 1, 1910, "The Baseball Palace of the World" Comiskey Park opened up and the White Sox played there first home game at the park. The St. Louis Browns beat the White Sox 2-0.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I was there. Greg Hiubbard had a perfect game through five innings that day.

After the final out was recorded in the 8th and the Yankees were walking off the field, everyone suddenly realized that if the Yanks did not get at least four runs in the top of the 9th, Hawkins had a no-no and stood and up and gave him a standing O. We knew that four runs was about what the 1990 Yankees would score in one week. Hawkins had his head hanging low and gave a wave without looking up.

For his next outing, which was a home game on July 6th against the Twins, Hawkins went 11.2 innings and lost 2-0. Yes, the Yankees were that bad that year (they finished 67-95 that year).

All hail The Rick
Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Saw it on TV.

A perfect example of how strange baseball can be. I was at the real Comiskey the night before, wherein the Sox got 14 hits and lost 10-7.

Anyway, this and the 11 run, 1 hit inning game for the Sox in 1959 probably rank 1-2 as the strangest games in Sox history.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Saw it on TV.

A perfect example of how strange baseball can be. I was at the real Comiskey the night before, wherein the Sox got 14 hits and lost 10-7.

Anyway, this and the 11 run, 1 hit inning game for the Sox in 1959 probably rank 1-2 as the strangest games in Sox history.
The Sox scored 20 that day. It was just the seventh inning where they scored 11 runs on just one hit, a Johnny Callison single to drive in the first run, increasing the lead to 9-6. The Sox were down 6-1 after two innings but scored the only 19 runs over the last seven innings in Kansas City.

I didn't see the game, wouldn't have rememberd it if I had, but I read a story about it in Baseball Digest when I was in high school, probably algebra class.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:26 PM
WSI Personality

I was there. Jim Leyritz with his first appearance in the OF was completely lost on Ventura's routine flyball. Of course it could have been that he was on amphetamines for two straight days.

Thanks for the Youtube clip. It's always entertaining to hear Phil Rizzuto's calls for Leyritz and Barfield in the bottom of the 8th.

When some Yankee fan starts beating his chest about being a lifelong fan, I bring up guys like Stump Merrill, Kevin Maas, Eddie Whitson and just get blank stares. Those Yankee clubs of the late 80's-early 90's were hot garbage. And it would be just like my team to get no-hit by a guy coming into the game with a 6.5 ERA.

And a question for older Sox fans - what was more astonishing: Witnessing the Sox get no-hit and win 4-0 or Ozzie Guillen drawing a walk.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

As I recall, that was the year of the no-hitter. There were something like 6 or 7 of them that year, although later the Hawkins no-hitter and Melido Perez's rain shortened no-hitter were retracted because they didn't go a full 9 innings.

I remember that there were two of them thrown on the same day, which was the first time that had ever happened. Fernando Valenzuela had one, but I forget who had the other. Maybe Dave Stewart.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

I remember it vividly: Me and my younger brother were in town visiting my dad for the summer. He had taken us out to the old water slides in Oakbrook and we were listening to the game on the radio in the car. We were driving down Cermak, whooping it up when Leyritz dropped that ball.

Good times.

Addendum: One thing that gets lost in this game is the performance of the Sox pitchers, who allowed less baserunners than Hawkins did. Hibbard, Jones and Radinsky combined to shut the Yanks out with nothing but four singles allowed.
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow

Gogol Bordello - "Ultimate"

Last edited by MisterB; 07-02-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
When some Yankee fan starts beating his chest about being a lifelong fan, I bring up guys like Stump Merrill, Kevin Maas, Eddie Whitson and just get blank stares. Those Yankee clubs of the late 80's-early 90's were hot garbage. And it would be just like my team to get no-hit by a guy coming into the game with a 6.5 ERA.
Come on, they were implementing the Theo Epstein Method of rebuilding. All those years of sucking got them the draft picks which carried them to the World Series. They actually did get some good ones in the 90's. Jeter, Posada, and Pettitte from 90-92.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was there. Right field upper deck. It was a college graduation present. Pulling for a no hitter by the opposition, so I could witness something pretty damn special.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I remember catching the last couple of innings. We came home from baseball in time to see the end.

And yes, anyone who is around my age that claims to be a life long Yankees fan is full of ****. Those teams sucked, and remember the old man claiming the Bronx isn't an ideal place to draw fans? How we miss those days.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:01 AM
WSI Personality

Man I remember this like it was yesterday. Wish we had audio of Hawk and Wimpy as it was entertaining as well. Still my #2 favorite team, right after 2005.