White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
That's not a horrible risk to take though. The odds of Flowers getting injured to the point he cannot continue are pretty small and at that point in time they'd still be able to use Nieto to catch, just have to bat pitchers. With a 2-run lead in the 9th an insurance run would have been worth that risk, IMO.

Nieto might well have scored on that fly ball by Flowers which requred an awkward catch and throw to get the out at the plate. The throw was bad and a faster runner would have been sent. Dunn probably would have scored with that throw actually, but hindsight is 20/20.
In that situation, no one out and a two-run lead in the ninth, Nieto wouldn't have been sent.

And I don't know that any major league manager would have used a backup catcher to pinch run in that situation. In the National League, where pitchers are asked to do more offensively, you see starting pitchers used as pinch runners before backup catchers.

But it's a very small point. If not putting Nieto in to run for Dunn in the ninth inning with a two-run lead in the ninth is your criticism of Ventura from Saturday's win, you are nitpicking.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
In that situation, no one out and a two-run lead in the ninth, Nieto wouldn't have been sent.

And I don't know that any major league manager would have used a backup catcher to pinch run in that situation. In the National League, where pitchers are asked to do more offensively, you see starting pitchers used as pinch runners before backup catchers.

But it's a very small point. If not putting Nieto in to run for Dunn in the ninth inning with a two-run lead in the ninth is your criticism of Ventura from Saturday's win, you are nitpicking.
Can't say for sure. Like I said the catch and throwing angle were awkward, but it's impossible to say.

And I understand most wouldn't have, I was merely pointing out that it really wasn't as risky as it would be in an earlier inning because of the game situation (already up 2 in the 9th).

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...