White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 09:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I don't think either the South Loop or West Side locations were a good idea, due to the possible shady deals, traffic, and/or sharing with other teams.

And if Addision went through, I'm convinced the Sox could have left town, since they would have cut ties with the city and a large part of the fanbase. Had they not planned things properly economically, they'd easily could have found a better deal in another city, with no Chicago dealmakers or fan ties to keep them here.

Besides, the Sox staying in Bridgeport was a big deal back then.

IMO, where they are now was the best move, even though some choices made weren't the best - like facing the stadium south, not north; not redeveloping neighborhood businesses that were torn down (like how Arsenal redeveloped the surrounding area after building Emirates) instead of leaving big parking lots, stadium design errors (plus Jerry being in love with Dodgers Stadium, that forced architects hands) that have been partially rectified, etc.

I often wonder how much better the Cell would be had they stayed in Comiskey 2-4 more years and seen the impact of Camden Yards' city views and architecture, and the stadiums built afterwards.
Good points. With a little urban planning this really could have worked. It's nice that they stayed in Bridgeport because it means they've always played in the same part of town. Even South Side Park was located just a few blocks south of where they play now.

You can't play baseball without Pants.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

A few things, first re the proposed move to Addison, IIRC one of the stumbling blocks there was where the park was to be built, it would have displaced some wildlife, (in Addison?) so the Sox would be fighting the environmentalists, another reason for the public not to like them back in the 80's, so that idea was trashed

Also a few yrs after the dust settled on decision to build at 35th Street, the was a report, not sure if it had validity that the State of Florida and the City of St Pete had not offered everything that JR had claimed they did and the St Pete deal wasn't the sweetheart package that was represented.

Wish I could say just win and they will come but not all true. Like a previous poster said, if the Sox had waited a few more yrs to see what the new parks looked like, they might be better at least cosmetically. I think US Cell was the last 80's type built in MLB

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 06-22-2014, 03:26 PM
WSI Personality

I would be sad if they ever moved to the suburbs. First, the team is the Chicago White Sox, not the Addison White Sox. Second, I think stadiums bring economic activity to areas that need it. The suburbs don't need the help and generally more affluent folks move out to the burbs.

Anticipated next game: Opening Day
Old 06-23-2014, 03:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
I would be sad if they ever moved to the suburbs. First, the team is the Chicago White Sox, not the Addison White Sox. Second, I think stadiums bring economic activity to areas that need it. The suburbs don't need the help and generally more affluent folks move out to the burbs.
If memory serves, Reinsdorf hired a market research firm which came to the conclusion that many of the Sox fans that used to live on the south side and near the ballpark had moved out to the suburbs and settled in Addison and the surrounding areas (Berwyn, Hinsdale, Westmont, Westchester, etc.). It wasn't just a matter of land but the demographics of the area as they tried to move their ballpark closer to their core fans. I'm not sure if it would have worked but it would have been interesting to see if a suburban ballpark could have thrived. It certainly would have been far more convenient for suburban fans to get to the games and they would have a lot more people with money living close to the ballpark that wouldn't have to battle the brutal Chicago traffic arteries like the Kennedy or Dan Ryan.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-25-2014, 12:26 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
This makes my head hurt. I know you're a Fire fan, where do they play? The Wolves? The Rush? And how about these teams?
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Miami Dolphins
  • New York Giants
  • New York Jets
  • Washington Redskins
  • Detroit Pistons
  • Phoenix Coyotes
  • Los Angeles Angels
  • Atlanta Braves (soon to be)
Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
This makes my head hurt. I know you're a Fire fan, where do they play? The Wolves? The Rush? And how about these teams?
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Miami Dolphins
  • New York Giants
  • New York Jets
  • Washington Redskins
  • Detroit Pistons
  • Phoenix Coyotes
  • Los Angeles Angels
  • Atlanta Braves (soon to be)
Just because I am a Fire fan doesn't mean I agree with their decision to build a stadium in the suburbs. I think they belong in the city as well and would probably draw better as well. Just because you have a couple of examples of teams that are in suburbs doesn't mean I agree with it or think it's a good idea. The Angels at least acknowledge they are in Anaheim despite the stupid name.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
If memory serves, Reinsdorf hired a market research firm which came to the conclusion that many of the Sox fans that used to live on the south side and near the ballpark had moved out to the suburbs and settled in Addison and the surrounding areas (Berwyn, Hinsdale, Westmont, Westchester, etc.). It wasn't just a matter of land but the demographics of the area as they tried to move their ballpark closer to their core fans. I'm not sure if it would have worked but it would have been interesting to see if a suburban ballpark could have thrived. It certainly would have been far more convenient for suburban fans to get to the games and they would have a lot more people with money living close to the ballpark that wouldn't have to battle the brutal Chicago traffic arteries like the Kennedy or Dan Ryan.
Market research also probably said putting baseball teams in Florida was a good idea.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Just because I am a Fire fan doesn't mean I agree with their decision to build a stadium in the suburbs. I think they belong in the city as well and would probably draw better as well. Just because you have a couple of examples of teams that are in suburbs doesn't mean I agree with it or think it's a good idea. The Angels at least acknowledge they are in Anaheim despite the stupid name.
So should the name be changed to the Bridgeview Fire?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
So should the name be changed to the Bridgeview Fire?
Yes or change the name to Fire F.C. and add back Chicago when/if the team moves back to the city.