White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 05:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'm not a fan of Robin, but I don't think it's fair to point to his winning percentage as a strike against him. I think that Robin is a problem but I don't think he is the biggest problem the White Sox have in regards to their recent struggles, but he is a problem.

The way he handles guys, Sale and Abreu immediately come to mind, is unnerving. I don't think the White Sox will ever contend with a young team and Ventura at the helm but I don't think it's not a pressing issue that the White Sox need to address.
At this rate Robin will be fired after this season, just too many losses. Fair or not, he's paid to win games and he's not winning enough games.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
At this rate Robin will be fired after this season, just too many losses. Fair or not, he's paid to win games and he's not winning enough games.

No he won't. He will plod along through the entire 2015 season and then, and only then, will he be evaluated by the talent around him against the teams record. You need to remember who hired him, it was Kenny Williams, and he sticks with his people until Jerry starts asking him why..!!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Me thinks Robin is a nice guy who can marry my sister anyday (even though she been married for long time) but I really dont want him managing my team

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
100% agree. The team has other problems too but the dynamic duo of Viciedo and Flowers has really stood out to me as a giant albatross during this slump the Sox have been in. Both hitters came out of the gate hitting everything in sight but since May have been playing far below replacement level and striking out at a ridiculous rate. Since we are playing for the future, I see no reason why they shouldn't get Nieto as many ABs as possible.

Since May 1st:

Tyler Flowers .162avg (19 for 117 with 53Ks, 12 BBs)
Dayan Viciedo .193avg (34 for 176 with 40Ks, 8 BBs)

They have both been trending even worse in June than they were in May. Viciedo has a paltry 2 RBIs and 1HR this month. Flowers is hitting .089 and Viciedo is hitting .134 in the month of June. There are probably backup catchers and NL pitchers that have more offensive production in June than these two. I realize we don't have a ton of roster options but isn't it at least worth it to *try* someone else out there? At least a benching for a few days?
Flowers and Viciedo have been terrible offensively in the last month or so and the team's record reflects that.

Assuming that Avi Garcia goes back to RF next year -- and I don't see why we wouldn't assume that -- the Sox definitely need an upgrade at three everyday positions at a minimum: catcher, LF and DH.

If Matt Davidson has a great second half and earns the starting 3B job next year, then maybe Gillaspie and Viciedo can platoon at DH next year. But, even so, the Sox still need upgrades at catcher and LF. And they need more depth in the starting rotation, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Apparently we have a catching prospect....

https://twitter.com/jnorris427/statu...16114437074945
Omar Narvaez was in the Tampa Bay system. The Sox took him in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft. Like Adrian Nieto, Narvaez is a switch hitting catcher.

Narvaez is 22 and just got promoted from Kannapolis to Winston-Salem. He has hit .301 this year and apparently throws well.

Bringing young, talented catchers into the Sox system can only be a good thing.

Quote:
No, I don't think so. The Sox have made progress but still have holes. But they are making progress. Ventura's calm demeanor is better suited to this kind of rebuilding than a blustery demeanor, anyway.

Ventura knows that the Sox are short on talent right now. But reinforcements are coming and Ventura and the Sox management know that, too.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Prepare for Robin to be around, he's not going anywhere after this season. His managing can be a real head scratcher sometimes, but like JB mentioned, we just have too many bad players. With Avisail out, Viciedo and De Aza just aren't good. Alejandro could at least hit his last few seasons here, but this year he sucks all-around, plus falls asleep on the base paths. Tyler Flowers will never be anything but a AAAA player and Conor Gillaspie I don't think was ever meant to be an everyday player. He's playing well, hitting .338 but with the tradeoff being no power. And quite frankly, after Sale, there's really nobody else I trust on our pitching staff.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

They didn't extend RV just to can him. He'll be gone by mid season 2016 and my money is on the replacement already being somewhere in the organization. Hopefully not Thome.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
They didn't extend RV just to can him. He'll be gone by mid season 2016 and my money is on the replacement already being somewhere in the organization. Hopefully not Thome.
That is the type of move this organization is just dumb enough to make.