White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Come on. Of all the crap on tv that the FCC lets slide, Hawk's "screaming and cursing" is what parents are worried about? Hopefully the kids can watch some educational programming like the Kardashians or Mob Wives then if they're not watching Sox baseball. Or perhaps they'll become Rays fans because of the great DeWayne Staats.
Oh for ****'s sake, tone down the hyperbole. Like any parent would let their kids watch that crap anyway. It's completely unprofessional for Hawk to say things like "Dadgummit!" and "You gotta be bleeping me!" multiple times a game. If I had a young kid (2-10 years old) I wouldn't want him listening to Sox games because of those phrases.

Hawk Harrelson adds NOTHING to a White Sox broadcast. He's a homer and he's not entertaining. I am so sick of hearing about Yaz and crap that happened 50 years ago that I usually end up turning the game off or muting the TV. He doesn't describe anything that is happening and has his moments where he's either pissed at what happened or must not like what Stone was talking about where he is just silent for long stretches of time. It's brutal.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Oh for ****'s sake, tone down the hyperbole. Like any parent would let their kids watch that crap anyway. It's completely unprofessional for Hawk to say things like "Dadgummit!" and "You gotta be bleeping me!" multiple times a game. If I had a young kid (2-10 years old) I wouldn't want him listening to Sox games because of those phrases.

Hawk Harrelson adds NOTHING to a White Sox broadcast. He's a homer and he's not entertaining. I am so sick of hearing about Yaz and crap that happened 50 years ago that I usually end up turning the game off or muting the TV. He doesn't describe anything that is happening and has his moments where he's either pissed at what happened or must not like what Stone was talking about where he is just silent for long stretches of time. It's brutal.
And the ever popular, THAT IS TOTAL BS, THAT IS BS etc.

I think my one friend said it best, and while I don't think Hawk entirely could teach your kids this, he says basically his thing with Hawk is that he doesn't want his kid to grow up blaming everyone else when things go wrong.

I guess Hawk is good for the typical fan base of the Sox, and thats fine, but if his job is to sell the brand, to improve the experience, he has failed miserably.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
LOL, wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think my one friend said it best, and while I don't think Hawk entirely could teach your kids this, he says basically his thing with Hawk is that he doesn't want his kid to grow up blaming everyone else when things go wrong.
Oh my god this thread can't be for real any more right? Is it April 1 and no one told me. WHAT IS HAPPENING

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 06-05-2014, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hawk is so terrible that I can barely stand listening to him for a few minutes. If he had a pushover like DJ or Wimpy with him he is slightly less terrible. I like Stone, but it just doesn't work with Hawk "one-upping" him or never giving him credit. It's like there is constant tension. Best solution would be for Hawk to retire.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
LOL, wait, what?

Oh my god this thread can't be for real any more right? Is it April 1 and no one told me. WHAT IS HAPPENING
Thanks you for both replies. The next thing I expected to read is how some children could seriously hurt their hands by trying to catch cans of corn.

Had I read this earlier and commented in the way I really wanted to, this thread would have probably devolved to the ****house.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Really? I'm alone in not wanting young kids to hear crap like dadgummit, that is BS, you gotta be bleeping me, etc coming from the TV during a White Sox game? I know in my youth my parents never would have wanted me to hear crap like that.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Really? I'm alone in not wanting young kids to hear crap like dadgummit, that is BS, you gotta be bleeping me, etc coming from the TV during a White Sox game? I know in my youth my parents never would have wanted me to hear crap like that.
I mean, everyone gets to parent how they want. The way I raise my kids will be different than others, and so on and so fourth. Im not saying I totally agree with my buddy, or that listening to Hawk rant that way WILL have that impact on his kids, but he thinks it might, so he isn't watching the Sox infront of his kid and that is his right and really no one can tell him he is right or wrong. It is just a belief.

The reason this seems like a big deal to me is baseball is not an overly EXCITING game when you are a kid. You tend to get more into it because you watch with your dad, or uncle, or grandpa, or a friend etc. If there are adults turning it off, that means their are kids who are not growing up with the White Sox in their lives.

Again, is it all kids, no. Is Hawk egregiously vulgar, not by means. But Hawk is causing more and more people to not tune in, be it the ranting, the pouting, the craziness, and that is just not a good thing.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

This thread is awesome.

Think of the horrors of children walking around yelling dadgummit!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Banned

Old 06-05-2014, 05:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
This thread is awesome.

Think of the horrors of children walking around yelling dadgummit!
This is epic. Thinking that a future generation of kids will be scarred for life because Hawk's pissed at Brian Gorman for calling the outside strike all game for the A's but not the Good Guys....simply awesome.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'm not sure you're entirely alone but I'd guess you're close to it. I can't imagine any parent that I know would think twice about "dadgummit" or "BS." How many young kids are really even watching/listening that closely anyway?

Hawk is a polarizing figure and I know plenty of parents who probably don't want to listen to him for myriad reasons so maybe - maybe - there's a statistically insignificant number of households where kids are shielded from the Sox broadcast. But I highly doubt it's because they're afraid their kids might here an occasional "dadgummit" and more likely because they don't want to hear another Ted Williams anecdote.

Also, the B&B bashing cracks me up. Bernstein is a Sox fan and has spoken very favorably of Rick Hahn. Most of the stuff they spew is just schtick. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but sports talk radio is stupid anyway.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:24 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
You object to dadgummit on TV, but the word "crap" is acceptable to publish on the internet (not once but twice even!), where any impressionable child could stumble upon it? We live in interesting times indeed.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
He has mentioned numerous times this year that Jose has "Grand Canyon power", so I'm positive that is what he means.

Personally I prefer his Cuban League nickname of El Oso (The Bear.)
Hawk clarified his Abreu nickname last night. He definitely means "The Cannon." He explained that the nickname came to him during ST because the ball came off Abreu's bat like a "cannon."

He's trying way too hard with this nickname. I don't care that much, but the The Bear is about 1000x better - and more organic - than The Cannon.

And whoever said that it'd be cool hearing a packed Cell chanting "Oso" was spot-on...
Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Hawk clarified his Abreu nickname last night. He definitely means "The Cannon." He explained that the nickname came to him during ST because the ball came off Abreu's bat like a "cannon."

He's trying way too hard with this nickname. I don't care that much, but the The Bear is about 1000x better - and more organic - than The Cannon.

And whoever said that it'd be cool hearing a packed Cell chanting "Oso" was spot-on...
I agree- he kind of moves like a bear- I could hear a few people yelling "c'mon Oso" during the game last night- and you could do all kinds of marketing stuff with "El Oso" vs. "The Cannon"- which is lame and Hawk is trying way too hard to get into the mainstream-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English I’m going to sing it."
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post

Yeah, I heard him say it in plain English last night - cannon. Struck me as odd, because the first four weeks of the season he kept saying Jose has Grand Canyon power; even saying Grand Cañon quite a few times.