White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 09:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

The eighth inning became a parallel universe. Sale was being Sale up to that point and I thought he might get a complete game. Then pieces of the wall started falling off. Even when Trout came to bat I thought Sale would get out of it.

I was writing a TBGR in the eighth inning expecting a victory. That went out the window at the end of the inning and I wrote a new one (some technical glitch is delaying its posting -- we're working on it). I know it's statistical weirdness, but the Sox haven't won a game on a Saturday this year. Somewhere there must be a sabrmetrician who knows what the record is for that. At 0-10 the Sox are probably leading that category.

I'd like to blame Ventura too, but I agree that Sale was cruising until then and with a five-run lead he's the best shot for the eighth. But it's tough.

What's worrisome is Abreu. He looked overmatched out there last night. Just hope we don't read about another injury.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:27 AM
WSI Regular

Why would you let Sale throw that many pitches considering the situation? Why would you leave any pitcher in?? Robin was a good third baseman. I am sure he got a phone call.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

I got home just in time to see the bottom of the 8th (Eddie Izzard was great, by the way). I was surprised that Sale was left in to start the 8th, disappointed he was left in after the first two batters reached, but was shocked to see Petricka pitching to Ayber with Downs standing and watching in the bullpen. Stone pointed out that Ayber has been crushing righties recently.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Banned

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Robin is an OK manager for a rebuilding, but with the Sox looking to be a true contender ahead of schedule, the extension given to him is going to come back to bite them. An ideal situation would have been to let Robin walk at the end of the year so a real manager could be brought in. Instead, amateur hour will continue for 2 more years.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah I'm hopeful he'll learn. I also understand it's easy to accept a guy like Sale at face value when he says he's fine. Maybe next time Robin will make the hard call and pull him. No point in letting him get to 112+ pitches when he's clearly struggling.

No he won't. Coop is making all the pitching calls, can't everyone see that..??
Old 06-08-2014, 10:54 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
[/U][/B]No he won't. Coop is making all the pitching calls, can't everyone see that..??
Fire Coop!

Quote:
Cooper said he “gets a kick” out of suggestions that 127 pitches against the Boston Red Sox led to Sale, 25, going on the DL. “The Hall of Fame is filled with guys who’ve done that way many times more than we’ve done it,’’ Cooper said. “You want to give him a chance. This is a really good pitcher that if we keep him healthy and he has a chance to be great just by doing the same thing for five more years. Nothing more.’’
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/27938...to-angels.html

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L

Next Game: ??
Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 PM
WSI Regular

Even with Sale giving up the slam, the game was tied. I think there's also a question as to why Petricka was left in after giving up two consecutive singles - clearly they were seeing him just fine (as Aybar proved).

Terrible end of the game.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

As long as Robin isn't calling for 5 or 6 Sac Bunts every game..I trust him more than Ozzie.

Loved Ozzie..but drove me nuts how we only had 20 outs to work with each game due to his love of giving the other teams free outs.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Rundown of my reaction to the eighth inning-

Start of the inning- "Sale's still in there, okay, I guess."

Erick Aybar doubles- "That sucks. No need to keep Sale in here, probably best to get the bullpen going."

Chris Iannetta singles, Aybar scores- "Well, there goes the shutout. Time to get Sale out of there."

Alexei's error- "God damn it. Get Sale the hell out of there."

Howie Kendrick singles to load the bases- "What the **** are you doing, Robin???"

Mike Trout comes to the plate, Sale is still on the mound- "WHY THE **** IS ROBIN THROWING SALE UNDER THE BUS AGAINST MIKE ****ING TROUT????

Mike Trout ties the game- "MOTHER****ER!!!!"

Robin replaces Sale with Petricka- "NOW??? NOW YOU GET OFF YOUR ASS AND PULL HIM?"

Petricka gives up back to back to back singles for the winning run- "I ****ing quit."

That's how long Robin had an opportunity to do something, anything about that inning.
Pretty much mirrored my feelings as well-

BUT- Sale was hitting mid-90's during Trout's AB, Alexei's error was the difference between getting out of the inning up 5-4 (assuming Trout still homers, with a base open you might pitch around Trout) v. down 6-5- and Petricka didn't do his job once he came in.

If Sale is throwing mid- 90's- it's a tough call on letting one of the best pitchers in MLB face one of the best hitters or going to the pen.

Leaving Petricka in to face Aybar vs. Downs didn't make any sense at all- LH's hit way better vs. Petricka and Aybar hits better from the LH side vs. RH-

(Viciedo now 0-9 in the series, .206 over the past 30 days, Flowers .197 over the past 30)
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English I’m going to sing it."
Old 06-08-2014, 12:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Robin is an OK manager for a rebuilding, but with the Sox looking to be a true contender ahead of schedule, the extension given to him is going to come back to bite them. An ideal situation would have been to let Robin walk at the end of the year so a real manager could be brought in. Instead, amateur hour will continue for 2 more years.
He is actually a bad manager regardless.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-08-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Guru

Wasn't it a changeup that Trout hit out of the ballpark? I was listening on the radio, and that's what Ed and DJ said. If that's true, I'll be the prick who questions the pitch selection in that situation.

I feel like whenever a Sox pitcher gets to a full count against a good hitter, our catcher always calls for something offspeed. Always. It's to a point where I feel like opposing hitters are sitting on it. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to throw the heater on 3-2 with the bases loaded, especially when you've got a pitcher who throws as hard as Sale.

Some might say Trout would be expecting a fastball in that spot, but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of your better hitters look offspeed in those situations, figuring the pitcher doesn't want to give in with a fastball. So throw him the fastball, especially if you're Chris Sale. If you're John Danks and don't have a good fastball anymore, OK, maybe the changeup is the right pitch. But I would prefer to see Sale attack with the heater in a spot like that.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Yep. You don't extend 99 loss managers. I'm keeping calm under the assumption that if they are playing like this in 2016, when they have a shot at the division, he'll be held responsible.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Check this out: at the beginning of the Cub-Marlin game, the Cub broadcast has a segment called "walk off wins." They show highlights of "some exciting finishes around baseball," like walk off hits in the Dodger-Rockies, D-Backs- Braves and Padres-Nats games. And then Len Kasper pointed out that Mike Trout hit a game tying grand slam that helped the Angels overcome a 5-0 deficit to defeat the South Siders 6-5.

Anyone else think they ran the piece just as an excuse to take a dig at the Sox? Talk about twisting the knife with mustard and relish!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Check this out: at the beginning of the Cub-Marlin game, the Cub broadcast has a segment called "walk off wins." They show highlights of "some exciting finishes around baseball," like walk off hits in the Dodger-Rockies, D-Backs- Braves and Padres-Nats games. And then Len Kasper pointed out that Mike Trout hit a game tying grand slam that helped the Angels overcome a 5-0 deficit to defeat the South Siders 6-5.

Anyone else think they ran the piece just as an excuse to take a dig at the Sox? Talk about twisting the knife with mustard and relish!
Eh, it's a tough call. It didn't happen in the 9th, but I can see how that could be considered exciting as Trout's homer happened in the bottom of the 8th against one of the best pitcher's in baseball.

All that said, **** Len Casper. He got his job after three other people turned it down. He's a leftover, and he knows it.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
It's all the Flubs have at this point. This coming from the team who's birthday cake fiasco is only superseded by their Comiskey Park/Wrigley Field mural fiasco.