White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
Maybe. I take your point, but Scully is all about the game and the players in front of him. He is a reporter simply giving the information that is relevant. You don't find yourself wondering what the count is, for example. I'd love to have him calling Sox games.

Hawk is all about Hawk.
After a hitter gets knocked down and stares down the pitcher, does Vin Scully launch into a story about how Jackie Robinson in such situation wouldn't posture, he would lay down a bunt up the first base line and rip open the leg of whoever was covering first? I used to hear such stories when I was a kid. I heard them from my father who grew up a Dodger fan in New Jersey and listened to the games on the radio. He listened to Red Barber and Vin Scully.

I listened to a lot of Vin Scully in when I was living in Southwestern Arizona. I don't recall him launching into Jackie Robinson or Duke Snider stories or even Don Drysdale stories. It isn't that he doesn't have reverence for the history of the game. I always got the impression that he knows the game, its history and has has the greatest respect for it. It's that he focuses on the game in front of him.

Vin Scully is about the game.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
Hawk is all about Hawk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Vin Scully is about the game.
Yes, but what is Yaz about?
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-06-2014, 04:21 PM
hawkjt hawkjt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
After a hitter gets knocked down and stares down the pitcher, does Vin Scully launch into a story about how Jackie Robinson in such situation wouldn't posture, he would lay down a bunt up the first base line and rip open the leg of whoever was covering first? I used to hear such stories when I was a kid. I heard them from my father who grew up a Dodger fan in New Jersey and listened to the games on the radio. He listened to Red Barber and Vin Scully.

I listened to a lot of Vin Scully in when I was living in Southwestern Arizona. I don't recall him launching into Jackie Robinson or Duke Snider stories or even Don Drysdale stories. It isn't that he doesn't have reverence for the history of the game. I always got the impression that he knows the game, its history and has has the greatest respect for it. It's that he focuses on the game in front of him.

Vin Scully is about the game.

Is his approach shaped by his solo act? Telling stories about the old days might seem kind of weird when he is the only one in the booth.
I would think that being solo would prompt a desire to just describe the action in front of him.

I agree that Hawk has drifted too far astray at times this year...especially lately.

Maybe if he was the only one in the booth he would cut to the straight reporting? ok...just kidding.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-06-2014, 05:05 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Is his approach shaped by his solo act? Telling stories about the old days might seem kind of weird when he is the only one in the booth.
I would think that being solo would prompt a desire to just describe the action in front of him.

I agree that Hawk has drifted too far astray at times this year...especially lately.

Maybe if he was the only one in the booth he would cut to the straight reporting? ok...just kidding.
Vin Scully's announcing style was shaped by his mentor Red Barber. He really is no different working alone than he was with a partner. His natonal work, for example, was always done with a partner.

It isn't that I've never heard him allude to baseball history or talk about baseball things outside of the game. A couple of times, once on a national telecast, he related that manager Jim Leyland told Pirate (future White Sox) pitcher Jose DeLeon he would have to start pitching inside, and DeLeon responded with "I've been traded to the Astros?" When he told that story on the national telecast, he left DeLeon nameless.

I used to watch Dodgers games when all I could get was SoCal baseball and the Mets, not because I liked the Dodgers, but becasue I loved listening to Vin Scully talk about the game in front of him and occasionally the game in general. Seeing a package of Farmer John hot dogs in the store makes me happy because it conjures up the sound of his voice in my head. Maybe some people feel the same about Ken Harrelson, but for the hot dogs.

But for me, it isn't about the stories, so much. Vin Scully doesn't complain about umpires even when he has pointed out umpires' mistake, and when he talks about Dodgers history, he doesn't do it in the context of "this is how the game should be played."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 AM
hawkjt hawkjt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,294
Default

I have defended Hawk in the past, but I admit it is getting harder.

Just recently...last couple of weeks, he seems to have gone off the reservation a bit more.

Last nite was bad. It is like now he and even Stoney are fitting the game action around the telling of random stories....this has flipped from the other way around, recently.

At times, Hawk seems disinterested in the actual action on the field, as he wants to get that story out more.
Last nite, Stoney was in the middle of a story, and then the action occurred and Stoney flipped to the game, but then Hawk encouraged him to get right back to the story...not appropriate.

Stoney is smart enough to know what is happening in the booth and I have to think he has either just given up and is laying down to Hawks style or he is also enjoying this approach...I think it is the former.

Sox need to nip this trend in the bud....it is drifting toward weird.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I have defended Hawk in the past, but I admit it is getting harder.

Just recently...last couple of weeks, he seems to have gone off the reservation a bit more.

Last nite was bad. It is like now he and even Stoney are fitting the game action around the telling of random stories....this has flipped from the other way around, recently.

At times, Hawk seems disinterested in the actual action on the field, as he wants to get that story out more.
Last nite, Stoney was in the middle of a story, and then the action occurred and Stoney flipped to the game, but then Hawk encouraged him to get right back to the story...not appropriate.

Stoney is smart enough to know what is happening in the booth and I have to think he has either just given up and is layinen g down to Hawks style or he is also enjoying this approach...I think it is the former.

Sox need to nip this trend in the bud....it is drifting toward weird.
The trend is present in a lot of local television broadcasts I see. The trend is to put former ballplayers in the booths, promote them as stars of the telecast and have them tell stories sometimes. The worst thing is the half inning when there is a special guest in the booth promoting a charity event or something. The game is going on, stuff is happening on your television, and the talk is about how many the horror of some childhood disease or you're hearing about the pink bats and pink hats that will be seen later in the week to support the ongoing fight against breast cancer. Oh, and so-and-so is out on a nice play by so-and-so. I wish the half inning didn't go by so fast so we could have more time to visit. It is even more maddening on radio.

This is off topic, but such story-telling and interviewing becoming more common on local baseball television. I don't know if such things have been forced upon Vin Scully, but I get the impression his producers know better than to ask.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.