White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Vin Scully really knows how to call a baseball game. All information, little opinion, and little mention of his 100 years calling baseball.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:07 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
"It's Yasiel Puig's stage, but so far the star of the show is Jose Abreu." - Vin Scully
That is so cool and this kind of stuff puts the Sox on the national stage. I love it.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Noesi got his first win tonight too.
He's improving - just needs to get a handle on the walks.
Great piece of evaluation by Hahn, Coop, Ventura or whomever.
I wouldn't quite go that far yet.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Considering we'd be throwing Axelrod or Carroll out there every 5th day if it wan't for Noesi- I think it's an accurate statement-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
Vin Scully really knows how to call a baseball game. All information, little opinion, and little mention of his 100 years calling baseball.
Listening to him during this series, I'm amazed how engaged he still is with the game at age 86. Unlike some other veteran announcers, he's neither become a "colorful old character" or a just a spinner of ancient stories. He knows today's players backwards and forwards and can analyze every play and pitch sequence.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
My random $0.02-
  1. Belisario was hitting 97 mph last night- now that he's been getting a little bit of rest- he seems to be settling in to the closer role-would be huge if he can play that role for 2014
  2. Noesi has a 3.47 ERA over the past 30 days- other than his start in Houston and his first start vs. DET (3 shutout innings- then allowed 4 when he ran out of gas in the 4th)- his ERA as a starter with the White Sox has been 2.67- pretty impressive for a waiver claim reliever who the Sox have stretched out to a starter in only 5 -6 weeks.
  3. Beckham now #3 in batting average on the Sox (after Gillaspie and Ramirez), and he's hitting .330 over the past 30 days-
  4. A number of guys returning to earth after strong Aprils- over the past 30 days (Flowers- .211, Viciedo- .209, Eaton- .209, Dunn- .162). I think Viciedo could use a day off or 2, really need Eaton to get back on track at the top of the order, it will help Dunn to get back to sitting him vs. LHPs.
  5. We're .500 and only 4 GB DET and 1 GB the Wild Card (bunched with NYY and TEX)- if we can stay healthy and get at least 2 of the 4 guys slumping back on track- could be a fun run up to the All Star break.
Good numeric analysis. Stuff you feel but do not have the stats, but now I have the stats.

One thing about the 4 some whose batting averages have dipped....they were so hot early that they still have good overall numbers, so any hot streak will push them right back over .300.
I think the hot streaks will come eventually.

Good news is that Gordo, Alexei and Jose are carrying the team this week, so they are not totally buried on offense.

Good effort by Noesi last nite, yet again. If he throws strikes, he can give the Sox good starts, and he is throwing more strikes than ever.

Bullpen solid again. Dodgers have 1 earned run in 18 innings...biggest payroll in history, but Sox are catching them at the right time.

Abreu is worth the price of admission, and staying up late.
That later at bat where he sent the fans and ballboy scrambling on that liner down third base was funny. Then next pitch, outside and high, he takes to right for a solid hit....love this guys maturity as a hitter and person.

Tyler Flowers showed his massive strength going over the wall to right with that low outside pitch he dropped the head on....he continues to impress, despite the recent dropoff, now, just improve on catching the ball, please!

PK steps up as a pinch hitter and gets a hit...nice to see his stroke continues to hold up...he is not a hood ornament yet.

Sox should be going for the sweep, a week after they should have taken 3 of 4 from the Yanks....playing well vs all comers.
Astros have won 8 of 10, so losing to them was not a disgrace...they are kicking Angels around this week.

The AL is about as even steven as I can ever remember.
All of baseball, really.

Fun summer looming!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Good numeric analysis. Stuff you feel but do not have the stats, but now I have the stats.

One thing about the 4 some whose batting averages have dipped....they were so hot early that they still have good overall numbers, so any hot streak will push them right back over .300.
I think the hot streaks will come eventually.

Good news is that Gordo, Alexei and Jose are carrying the team this week, so they are not totally buried on offense.

Good effort by Noesi last nite, yet again. If he throws strikes, he can give the Sox good starts, and he is throwing more strikes than ever.

Bullpen solid again. Dodgers have 1 earned run in 18 innings...biggest payroll in history, but Sox are catching them at the right time.

Abreu is worth the price of admission, and staying up late.
That later at bat where he sent the fans and ballboy scrambling on that liner down third base was funny. Then next pitch, outside and high, he takes to right for a solid hit....love this guys maturity as a hitter and person.

Tyler Flowers showed his massive strength going over the wall to right with that low outside pitch he dropped the head on....he continues to impress, despite the recent dropoff, now, just improve on catching the ball, please!

PK steps up as a pinch hitter and gets a hit...nice to see his stroke continues to hold up...he is not a hood ornament yet.

Sox should be going for the sweep, a week after they should have taken 3 of 4 from the Yanks....playing well vs all comers.
Astros have won 8 of 10, so losing to them was not a disgrace...they are kicking Angels around this week.

The AL is about as even steven as I can ever remember.
All of baseball, really.

Fun summer looming!
Well stated-

I think it's time to give in and have fun with this team- as Bill Parcells has said "You are your record"- so based on our record and our position in the standings- we are a contender.

Let's enjoy it- stranger things have happened- 1977, 1990, 2000, etc.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It is a joy to listen to Scully.

As for last's night fine game,

Old 06-05-2014, 01:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I think it was great - we claimed him almost right after we hit the every living crap of him.

I watched all 3 games listening to Scully. He is so good. Not a homer, always has something interesting to say. Very refreshing.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Quote:
I watched all 3 games listening to Scully. He is so good. Not a homer, always has something interesting to say. Very refreshing.
The Anti-Hawk.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think it was great - we claimed him almost right after we hit the every living crap of him.

Listen to him do 5000 games, and his schtick might get old also....we have heard all of Hawk's stories by now, but after 5000 games...not surprising.

Not saying that Scully is not great, just that it is easier to sound fresh when we only hear him 3 times a year.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Listen to him do 5000 games, and his schtick might get old also....we have heard all of Hawk's stories by now, but after 5000 games...not surprising.

Not saying that Scully is not great, just that it is easier to sound fresh when we only hear him 3 times a year.
That's true.
Hawk has some interesting things to say. It just gets subsumed in his obnoxious homerism.
Scully walks the line well...he's clearly rooting for the dodgers, but he's subtle about it.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:45 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
That's true.
Hawk has some interesting things to say. It just gets subsumed in his obnoxious homerism.
Scully walks the line well...he's clearly rooting for the dodgers, but he's subtle about it.
Scully is probably the best of all time. Absolutely enjoy listening to him. Hawk is our guy. I like him too, imperfections and all.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Great point.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Maybe. I take your point, but Scully is all about the game and the players in front of him. He is a reporter simply giving the information that is relevant. You don't find yourself wondering what the count is, for example. I'd love to have him calling Sox games.

Hawk is all about Hawk.