White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who should the Sox take with their first pick in the '14 Draft?
Brady Aiken, LHP, San Diego Cathedral Catholic HS 5 7.94%
Carlos Rodon, LHP, NC State 33 52.38%
Tyler Kolek, RHP, Shepherd (Texas) HS 18 28.57%
Alex Jackson, C-OF, San Diego Rancho Bernardo HS 0 0%
Aaron Nola, RHP, LSU 4 6.35%
Casey Gillaspie, 1B, Wichita State (teal implied) 0 0%
Someone else 2 3.17%
The Churro guy 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2014, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The best draft pick since Chris Sale, and one of the best value's in White Sox history is being compared to Clayton Richard?
Well, it's just this one person, I think 99.9% of us knew that Rodon was the consensus #1 pick going into 2014 and dominated the ACC.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Since this thread is now a discussion of who the Sox actually did draft I moved it to this forum.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Well, it's just this one person, I think 99.9% of us knew that Rodon was the consensus #1 pick going into 2014 and dominated the ACC.
It's pretty absurd to see you react this way, because you aren't the least bit aware of how ridiculous you look when you merely repeat what other scouts and baseball have written about the kid and then pass it off as fact, or first hand knowledge. I mean, the show you are putting on right now is just like reading a glowing review of a movie online, and then claiming you know the movie is awesome as well..without having even seen the movie or knowing what goes into making a good movie.

Don't be afraid to think for yourself once in a while. I mean, you act like I just offended your mother by voicing an opinion about Carlos Rodon.

Last edited by Stanley; 06-08-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
It's pretty absurd to see you react this way, because you aren't the least bit aware of how ridiculous you look when you merely repeat what other scouts and baseball have written about the kid and then pass it off as fact, or first hand knowledge. I mean, the show you are putting on right now is just like reading a glowing review of a movie online, and then claiming you know the movie is awesome as well..without having even seen the movie or knowing what goes into making a good movie.

Don't be afraid to think for yourself once in a while. I mean, you act like I just offended your mother by voicing an opinion about Carlos Rodon.
The thing is, it is not that you dislike Rodon, that is fine. It is that you are making crazy statements like he throws 91, which he doesn't, has a flat slider, which he doesn't, or that is just like Clayton Richard, which he isn't.

In terms of knowing prospects or not (or what goes in to making a good movie), I know you are newer to WSI, but Rdivaldi is about as knowledge as it comes when it comes to prospects.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 PM
WSI High Priest

I've heard Rodon referred to as the best lefty SP prospect since David Price. I can live with that.

90-94 mph Fastball
90-91 mph Slider
89-91 mph cutter

He has to improve his change-up.

I guess the only question now is, where do the Sox find a Righty? Danks, Quintana, Sale, Rodon.

It'd be fun to land Scherzer - but I have a feeling that'll be a Tigers/Yankees/Red Sox buy. Peavy, E. Santana, Masterson all out there.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm not offended, I'm just in disbelief of your complete misrepresentation of on his repertoire of pitches and his abilities. Coming over here with your own opinion is fine, but perhaps backing it up with observations that are grounded in reality would benefit us all.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:15 AM
WSI Regular

OK, you're not offended then. Is there a word for "inappropriate display of outrage over someone giving their opinion on a baseball player"? Because I was trying to be nice, actually.

He throws a 90-94 mph fastball, so I guess that means he doesn't throw it 91-92. The report(s) I read said the fastball was consistently in the 91-92 area. I also said his slider didn't look 'too awesome'. His motion/mound presence reminds me of Clayton Richard. Remember, this is what made you upset. Think about that for a second.

I'm looking forward to more of your original scouting reports.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
OK, you're not offended then. Is there a word for "inappropriate display of outrage over someone giving their opinion on a baseball player"? Because I was trying to be nice, actually.

He throws a 90-94 mph fastball, so I guess that means he doesn't throw it 91-92. The report(s) I read said the fastball was consistently in the 91-92 area. I also said his slider didn't look 'too awesome'. His motion/mound presence reminds me of Clayton Richard. Remember, this is what made you upset. Think about that for a second.

Your childish baiting is rather amusing. Please be sure to enlighten us with more of your "original observations" of players, or possibly not since you seem to get all butt-hurt when someone calls your rather "unusual" scouting reports into question.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
WSI Regular

Pot, meet Mr. Kettle....
Old 06-09-2014, 11:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Just to be clear, you are upset at him repeating information from the reports he read, and a claimed lack of research/actual viewing, but then use data from a report YOU read as your source.

Have you seen him throw live games, or are you watching the same scouting videos that he is likely watching?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Some good news: Spencer Adams just signed.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Is Rodon immediately the Sox #1 prospect. Where does he rank across MLB.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Some good news: Spencer Adams just signed.
That's pretty huge. Some thought he was 1st round talent and he had signed with Georgia.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
Is Rodon immediately the Sox #1 prospect. Where does he rank across MLB.
Yes to Top with the Sox. A top 100 with this draft is not out yet, but my guess is he is going to be in the top 30.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
WSI High Priest

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-draft/page/35

Granted, this is bleacherreport, and they suck, but they put him 18th currently.