White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If Ramirez can continue to perform at a high level for the next 4 years they would be foolish to trade him for less than a huge return. He's in incredible shape and plays every single day. Guys like that don't normally fall off the cliff at 33. This team is not that far from the playoffs.
I'm sorry but this is really foolish. He's a 33 year old SS.

They still are far away. We have 2 good starters and a pretty awful bullpen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I'm sorry but this is really foolish. He's a 33 year old SS.

They still are far away. We have 2 good starters and a pretty awful bullpen.
I am with on this totally and Ramirez will be 33 Cuban years old in september. Sell high why you can and use your plethora of infield assets to fill the hole and hope for the best down the line. Starting pitching is of utmost importance now.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I am with on this totally and Ramirez will be 33 Cuban years old in september. Sell high why you can and use your plethora of infield assets to fill the hole and hope for the best down the line. Starting pitching is of utmost importance now.
I'd tend to agree but who is our SS if not Alexei? Tim Anderson is hitting decently but he's probably a few years away. Also, I think his presence is a positive for Viciedo and Abreu. Unless they got a near-ready blue chip prospect (like Garcia), I'd probably stay the course.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Except that none of our "infield assets" appear to be a competent, major-league quality shortstop.

By all accounts:
  • Leury doesn't have the arm
  • Semien doesn't have the range
  • Tyler Saladino - despite having a good season so far at Charlotte - has played his way out of prospect status with two straight horrible seasons in '12 and '13
  • Carlos Sanchez is also hitting well, but projects as more of a utility infielder.

There's even questions already about whether Anderson has the arm to stick at SS.
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow

Gogol Bordello - "Ultimate"

Last edited by MisterB; 06-02-2014 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Retracted Statement
Old 06-02-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
Except that none of our "infield assets" appear to be a competent, major-league quality shortstop.

By all accounts:
  • Tyler Saladino - despite having a good season so far at Charlotte - has played his way out of prospect status with two straight horrible seasons in '12 and '13
  • Carlos Sanchez is also hitting well, but projects as a utility infielder at best.

There's even questions already about whether Anderson has the arm to stick at SS.
Ramirez is a top flight defensive ss and I see your point about the future but I really dont think that Ramirez has 4 more quality years ahead, maybe two. Right now is the pinnacle of Ramirez career and the Sox are not ready to truly compete yet, you have to sell high.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck View Post
ramirez is a top flight defensive ss and i see your point about the future but i really dont think that ramirez has 4 more quality years ahead, maybe two. Right now is the pinnacle of ramirez career and the sox are not ready to truly compete yet, you have to sell high.
+1
Old 06-02-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I'd tend to agree but who is our SS if not Alexei?
Fill the slot with Beckham or Semien and wait and see about Anderson. This is not the year, its the future thats the important thing.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

By all accounts:
  • Carlos Sanchez is also hitting well, but projects as a utility infielder at best.

It's kind of what I was getting at. It's nice have a steady player at the most important position in the infield - especially one with a career BA of .280 who happens to hail from the same country as a future superstar. I don't want them to start the revolving door at such a critical position, at least not unless they have a guy that is ready to takeover, which they don't.

With a hopefully healthy Garcia and a few FA acquisitions, the Sox have a chance to compete as early as next year. I think Ramirez would be key to their chances.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

If only the future was as predictable as some would like to think. Conor can't be as good as he is actually playing, Alexei will never be as valuable to us again as he is right now so sell for those can't miss prospects or ace. The future never comes. The future is now. Plan for tomorrow but play for today.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Conor is the real deal...that stroke does not lie.

He is part of a future rotation at third base with Davidson.
He can also play 1st base in a pinch.

Conor G. is solid,and should be around for awhile.
Once Davidson shows he can hit rightys, then maybe Conor goes to 1st base and Abreu is DH.

As for Semian, I like having him go down and work on his batting average and outfielding....holding pattern until July, when the Sox may be dealing middle infielders.
"He's also the third catcher", said Ventura. The day Flowers was tossed from the game for arguing with the ump.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

By all accounts:
Why does Sanchez only project as a utility infielder? He's now hitting .300+ at AAA, he's younger than Semian,only a year older than Anderson-I thought he was strong defensively and the only real questions was his hitting?

IF we trade TCM- we're writing off being contenders in 2015-2016- there's no way Semian or Anderson (23 errors in 44 games!) will be ready by then- so we'll have wasted 2 years of Sale/Quintana/Abreu, etc.

The Sox will have alot pre-arb starters (Eaton/A. Garcia/Gillaspie/2nd base(TBD))- I think with a solid veteran SS like Ramirez- we can be a contender next year- if we trade him- then we're setting our sights on 2017- and could be headed towards early 1970's attendance levels.

I don't think this is fluke for Alexei- I think it's a combo of experience + no personal issues (murder of his father in law last year) and being re-energized by the signing of Abreu-

I agree we need a #2 starter for the rotation and a true closer (and a LOOGY)- but I think we actually have a pretty good bullpen with Putnam/Petricka/Belisario/Guerra in the other roles.

I agree we need to "sell high"- but I think we have to be careful not to squander the low payroll that Hahn has set up between the young pre-arb players and the (relatively) efficient contracts for Sale, Quintana and Abreu- that low payroll could allow some of the gaps in the team to be addressed by FA in the offseason.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-03-2014, 12:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Why does Sanchez only project as a utility infielder? He's now hitting .300+ at AAA, he's younger than Semian,only a year older than Anderson-I thought he was strong defensively and the only real questions was his hitting?
I retract my statement about Sanchez being a UI at best: His best projection is as a solid starting 2B.

He's strong defensively, but not enough to be a day-in, day-out SS. He makes good contact and can hit for average, but lacks power. He has speed but isn't an instinctive base stealer. Whether he's a starter or a utility man will depend largely on how high he can keep his batting average.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:22 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Semien added another defensive position to his resume Saturday night, when he played left field for the Knights.

Playing the outfield was recommended to Semien before he left for Charlotte. Manager Robin Ventura liked the fact that Semien was open to the challenge of the new position.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...k_cws&c_id=cws