White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
We haven't won a game in Saturday all season.
Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We also had trouble with the Astros, why are we having trouble with these lousy teams?
Got me wondering that too.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Good question Nell...it's been going on for the past few years now, not just this year. They play pretty well against teams over .500 then let down against the bad ones.
Interesting conclusion to draw considering the Sox are currently 11th in the AL in games vs. opponents at or above .500 and 7th in the AL against opponents below .500.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Interesting conclusion to draw considering the Sox are currently 11th in the AL in games vs. opponents at or above .500 and 7th in the AL against opponents below .500.
Not to mention that the only team in the division the Sox haven't won a series against is the over-.500 team, and the Sox did win three of four against the last-place Cubs.

The Sox lost two of three in Houston, but the Astros started a seven-game winning streak not long after that series. They have lost two games to each of the bottom three teams in the NL West, but I think Sox fans underestimate how tough the competition is in the NL West. (With seven more interleague games, three in LA and four against the Giants, I don't expect the Sox to have a winning interleague record this season.)

Fans remember the wins against above-.500 teams because the wins surprised them. They remember the loses against below-.500 teams because the losses surprised them.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Guru

I was curious about this so I went back and looked through the records for the past five full seasons, 2009-2013.

The only season out of the five when the Sox played better against teams over .500 than against teams with losing records was 2009, that may be where the assumption began.

The other four years the Sox winning percentage against losing teams was higher than against teams who finished the year with a winning record.

Not saying the number of losses to losing teams didn't cost them dearly when it came to potentially making the playoffs or at least having a winning record but the numbers say they have usually played better against teams with losing records at year's end...at least for the past five years.

Lip
Old 06-01-2014, 01:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I was curious about this so I went back and looked through the records for the past five full seasons, 2009-2013.

The only season out of the five when the Sox played better against teams over .500 than against teams with losing records was 2009, that may be where the assumption began.

The other four years the Sox winning percentage against losing teams was higher than against teams who finished the year with a winning record.

Not saying the number of losses to losing teams didn't cost them dearly when it came to potentially making the playoffs or at least having a winning record but the numbers say they have usually played better against teams with losing records at year's end...at least for the past five years.

Lip
I think the assumption has been around long before 2009, and it's an assumption I've heard among other fanbases. I've heard it in Oakland among A's fans while leaving the stadium after one of those infrequent White Sox wins in Oakland. I think it's about observational bias, just as you can show fans a list of all the starting pitchers the White Sox have beaten the first time they've seen them and you'll still hear that the White Sox (most teams according to their fans, really) never beat pitchers they haven't seen before.

Any pitcher a team hasn't seen before is an upstart who should be beaten, and you remember it when they don't. Any team with a losing record with a losing record should lose to your team, and you remember it when they don't.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We also had trouble with the Astros, why are we having trouble with these lousy teams?
Because the White Sox aren't a very good team?

Yes, our team is improved over last year, but it's not like we're pennant contenders. Our lineup isn't very impressive with Abreu out and Eaton scuffling.