White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 12:02 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
x2.

Once the blackout rules go away, it's going to be like the Wild West. The only thing keeping me with Directv is live sports. I'm halfway there with the At-Bat app where I can sit in my backyard at night and listen to the radio feed of any game in the country on Wi Fi using my phone.

Once the blackouts go away, it's Roku or something else along with the laptop. Done deal.
I would love to go this route, but if blackout rules were eliminated and everyone ditched cable to go to internet-only options, you better believe internet service providers would implement very low data caps, thereby forcing people back to cable if they want to watch sports.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 05-31-2014, 02:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Is anyone that surprised that Big Bang Theory (or whatever comedy) reruns gets better ratings nationally that Sox games? It's a business decision pure and simple and I'm surprised it took them that long to figure it out. .
BBT is a rarity in that it does really well in syndication even in the streaming/dvd sales era. WGN America does not air BBT. I've seen syndie ratings and I'd be stunned if Cubs/White Sox/Bulls weren't topping them. Live Sports are the one DVR proof thing in this era and are prized by smart networks.

I think this is a dumb potential long term gain/short term pain thing for them. AMC does pretty stellar numbers for its movie catalog but gets more ad revenue from high profile scripted series like Walking Dead or Breaking Bad. I guess they don't want sports disrupting an air schedule, but Saturday is a deadspot for original programming anyway.

In the end, don't understand this. To get ratings, they need to be on cable systems. I will gladly drop down a tier in package if possible because of this. I don't understand this or why they aren't waiting until they have at least more of an identity or signature programming. Salem is a bust.

-A Tigers fan, just before the Pale Hose defeated the Kitties 9-1.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
BBT is a rarity in that it does really well in syndication even in the streaming/dvd sales era. WGN America does not air BBT. I've seen syndie ratings and I'd be stunned if Cubs/White Sox/Bulls weren't topping them. Live Sports are the one DVR proof thing in this era and are prized by smart networks.

I think this is a dumb potential long term gain/short term pain thing for them. AMC does pretty stellar numbers for its movie catalog but gets more ad revenue from high profile scripted series like Walking Dead or Breaking Bad. I guess they don't want sports disrupting an air schedule, but Saturday is a deadspot for original programming anyway.

In the end, don't understand this. To get ratings, they need to be on cable systems. I will gladly drop down a tier in package if possible because of this. I don't understand this or why they aren't waiting until they have at least more of an identity or signature programming. Salem is a bust.
Yet it is their production of Salem that they point to as the future. Peter Ligouri seems to be the whole decision maker on this move. The Tribune company brought him over from FX network, where he made his mark with original programming. He feels that "content is king" and will not be satisfied with just showing reruns in prime time. In explaining some of the reasoning behind dropping sports programming he had this great quote, "If the Cubs continue on this path to virtual irrelevancy, it's not really going to matter."

MLB is not behind this, but is happy as a clam that it is happening. I think it closes the door on the last grandfather clause, and makes its own properties and it's partner TV properties more attractive. The niche they need to look into would be allowing single team, out of market packages on MLB tv at a reduced cost for those of you out of towners that only want to follow one team.

I also echo the Roku recommendation. If you have the bandwidth, the quality is outstanding.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
KBA:

I'd be surprised if they went to WFLD (which for years was a Sox station). I'm hearing they want their own network and that Kaplan is angling for a major role in it.

Lip
It's all speculation at this point, but the rumor is that the Cubs will move their over-the-air TV games to WFLD or perhaps WPWR, the Fox-owned stations, in 2015. Then, when the Cubs/CSN deal expires after the 2019 season, Fox will also partner with the Cubs on a new cable channel.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post

The interest in live Cubs and Sox games in most markets around the country has to be fairly limited. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of syndicated programing is already beating out Chicago baseball in many far-flung markets. If my market carried WGN, I would watch Sox games. I can't imagine that baseball fans here would be choosing Sox/Cubs games over Giants/A's games or the live baseball on MLB.

I understand the WSI outrage over taking Chicago baseball off WGN America. I don't see any outrage in Modesto, California, over Sox/Cubs games not being available on cable. I have never heard anyone complain that TBS programming is no longer dominated by Braves games and replays of Braves games for six months of the year. Ratings for live superstation baseball games today, when even people getting cable television in much of inhabited Alaska can see every Mariner's game live as part of a basic cable package, must be much lower than they were when televised local baseball was limited in most markets.

The fact is, if I wanted to pay to see White Sox baseball on television, I could do so. The availability of live baseball is different than it used to be. I can't justify the cost. And my cable system doesn't see the financial sense in bringing me Chicago baseball without charging me such a cost.

It isn't hard for me to believe that short-term and long-term, WGN America would be financially better off by showing cheaper syndicated programming over Chicago sports.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

WGN America doesn't want to be the "Chicago sports and news and random old reruns" station anymore. They want to be USA or TNT or something. That's why they're starting some original programming, and that's why they're dropping Chicago stuff. It might possibly hurt them short-term (although I doubt it, how big a demand for Chicago stuff can there possibly be nationwide?), but it's probably a good strategy going forward.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsider101 View Post
Bad news for us out of out of towners.
Without the Sox and Cubs why would any cable carrier keep WGN America on their menu?
I promise you, most cable carriers who have WGN America don't have it because of the Cubs or (especially) the Sox.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
Seeing how that snowball already started down the mountain when WGN pulled the plug on airing the 9 O'Clock News nationwide earlier this year, I tend to agree with you.
I wondered if pulling the 9:00 news was the beginning of the end. Seems like they did a similar gutting of WGN radio a few years back.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:50 AM
WSI Guru

What folks are forgetting or overlooking about sports on WGN America is this, how do you distinguish yourself from the glut of stations available on cable or DirecTV.

THAT's one of the keys and sports programming allows you to do it....not 15 year old re-runs of "America's Funniest Videos," or "Law and Order" or 25 year old reruns of "In the Heat of the Night."

Given the choice most sports fans will watch sports even if their favorite or regional team isn't on simply because it's sports.

Even 'new' programming created by Tribune Company won't draw squat unless it's very, very good because of the number of choices available.

Given the Tribune Companies history, does anyone really expect this?

Lip
Old 05-31-2014, 01:18 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I understand the WSI outrage over taking Chicago baseball off WGN America. I don't see any outrage in Modesto, California, over Sox/Cubs games not being available on cable. I have never heard anyone complain that TBS programming is no longer dominated by Braves games and replays of Braves games for six months of the year. Ratings for live superstation baseball games today, when even people getting cable television in much of inhabited Alaska can see every Mariner's game live as part of a basic cable package, must be much lower than they were when televised local baseball was limited in most markets.
We first got cable in '88, and I remember watching a ton of Mets games on WOR and the Braves of course on TBS. It probably would not be the same today. This was a year or two before ESPN got their MLB contract, so being able to see live games of the Mets and Braves when the Sox and Cubs weren't playing was such a novelty, it was amazing. Now, it is second nature, as you can turn on the tv and see a game at almost any time on MLB Network, ESPN or Fox on Saturdays.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is why WGN America wants to go towards scripted programs:

Quote:
“Salem’s” debut premiered with more than 3.4 million Total Viewers and 1.5 million Adults 18-49 in time-shifted Live + 7 viewing for its premiere night on April 20. Through its first two telecasts in Live + 3 viewing, “Salem” has averaged nearly 1.7 million Total Viewers and 806,000 among Adults 18-49, a +776% increase over the network’s Adults 18-49 season-to-date average on Sundays at 10 p.m. ET.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...merica/260569/

Will their plan work? Who knows, but they clearly think they're better off taking the gamble that they can have some decent scripted programs (without having them pre-empted by baseball a few times a week) than with what they do currently.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Here's an article from 2012 that explains (very well, I think) why WGN America wants to change (short version: they were 40th in the ratings, TBS is 11th and FX is 13th and they think they can be one of those stations).

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-peter-liguori

(Sorry if you have to be a Tribune member or whatever)
Old 05-31-2014, 02:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
On the plus side: one less way of promoting Wrigley Field as a tourist attraction.
Yeah, this really is the end of an era for the Cubs. WGN-TV being on many cable systems nationwide was a huge factor in what gave the Cubs a national following. It's a huge reason why lots of areas in the Midwest that don't have their own MLB team are full of Cubs fans. These people grew up following the Cubs on WGN.

I know this is now the 25th season of the Sox back on WGN, but the impact for the Sox nationally has been negligible. Not the same as all those kids growing up following the Cubs when they had every game on WGN (including many day games).

But, this is a different era. The Cubs aren't on WGN as much any more and people in non-MLB markets today have many other options for accessing MLB games than WGN and TBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
There's a lot of talk in the industry right now that the Cubs are getting ready to leave WGN entirely and sell their TV rights to Fox (WFLD) and their radio rights to CBS (WBBM AM-FM) for a lot more money than Tribune is paying. Without the Cubs as one of their attractions, WGN will have to remake itself on both the TV and radio side, so this might be tied to that.
How ironic. The Cubs leaving WGN for WFLD with the Sox staying (presumably) on WGN. Too bad this didn't happen 46 years ago!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
What folks are forgetting or overlooking about sports on WGN America is this, how do you distinguish yourself from the glut of stations available on cable or DirecTV.

THAT's one of the keys and sports programming allows you to do it....not 15 year old re-runs of "America's Funniest Videos," or "Law and Order" or 25 year old reruns of "In the Heat of the Night."

Given the choice most sports fans will watch sports even if their favorite or regional team isn't on simply because it's sports.

Even 'new' programming created by Tribune Company won't draw squat unless it's very, very good because of the number of choices available.

Given the Tribune Companies history, does anyone really expect this?

Lip
Do you really believe that nationwide USA doesn't have more viewers than WGN America when Chicago baseball is running up against a Law and Order block? If you have numbers to support your argument, I will stand corrected, but I'm guessing you're wrong.

I am guessing that Chicago baseball would not, does not now draw squat in places like California. I am guessing that the viewers who would watch Chicago baseball because it's on number appreciably fewer than the viewers who would watch Law and Order because it's on.

I don't see the Tribune Company drawing squat nationally with Chicago sports, and I'm guessing the White Sox numbers would be lower than the Cubs numbers because the Cubs have a larger national following and the White Sox have an announcer that is more difficult for non-White Sox fans to listen to.

The history of failed cable television channels is littered with channels who were able to distinguish themselves without attracting enough viewers to survive (along with channels that have run popular programming that seemed counter to their mission, see the non-history and paranormal programming on the History Channel). If you take baseball fans who subscribe to Extra Innings out of the mix, and they are some of the most die-hard, I see very limited interest in Chicago baseball in markets where you have MLB running live baseball, often at the same time as Chicago baseball, and at least one regional team with pretty much its entire schedule on basic cable.

Dropping Chicago sports with Chicago homer announcers from WGN America to improve its viability as a national cable network now and in the future seems to make perfect sense to me.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:54 PM
WSI Guru

How ironic. The Cubs leaving WGN for WFLD with the Sox staying (presumably) on WGN. Too bad this didn't happen 46 years ago!

Hitmen:

Well played sir!

Lip