White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
END THE GODDAMN BLACKOUT RULES NOW!!!!!!!!

Agree...100%

Lip
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSoxFan View Post
Lip, I think roku recommends a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps to stream high definition video.

I have the original Roku and I do have the ability to add MLB.tv to my channels. There have been newer channels that will not work with my Roku, however. When I first got mine, probably 3-4 years ago, I was streaming via wifi and had issues with download speeds. Once I hardwired my roku via ethernet, the problem went away. Of course, I didn't have the speeds I'm supposed to have now. Comcast is my ISP.
Sox Fan:

What is the recommended speed for just normal (non HD) video?

Lip
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Very bad decision. If the execs think anybody is going to watch 10 year old reruns of "America's Funniest Video's", or shows like How I Met Your Mother they are in for a rude awakening.

WGN got a national reputation because of their sports first and foremost not the other stuff they are running. Take that out of the equation and they are going to have some very rough times.

Oh for the good old days when the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Cubs, White Sox, Rangers, Rockies ad Dodgers were all on Superstations.

The MLB Extra innings package is simply to expensive for me so I'm S.O.L. I guess.

Lip

I know baseball has been trying for a couple of decades to get rid of the baseball superstations. I heard Jerry Reinsdorf tell an audience a few years ago that he didn't like the idea of the Sox being on a superstation, but WGN was the best Chicago station to be on. Still, I am guessing the decision by WGN to pull sports off of WGN America was made by WGN because it would result in being more profitable for the station. I have found that American business rarely considers what is best specifically for me in making business decisions.

I haven't seen WGN for years because since I left Wisconsin in July 2003, WGN hasn't been offered by the local cable companies where I have lived, but I understand if has a lot less baseball than it used to. Before I moved to Wisconsin, I hadn't lived anywhere where WGN was available on cable television for almost two decades. I asked local cable GMs why they didn't carry WGN, and I was told the station had too much Chicago sports. Obviously, I was asking because I wanted to see the White Sox games WGN was carrying.

I don't know how the business of cable television works, how they make money, what costs them money, but I am guessing that the decision was made because dropping Chicago sports from national cable distribution would put them in a better financial position than continuing to run Chicago sports for national cable distribution.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 PM
WSI Personality

Bad news for us out of out of towners.
Without the Sox and Cubs why would any cable carrier keep WGN America on their menu?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Agree...100%

Lip
x2.

Once the blackout rules go away, it's going to be like the Wild West. The only thing keeping me with Directv is live sports. I'm halfway there with the At-Bat app where I can sit in my backyard at night and listen to the radio feed of any game in the country on Wi Fi using my phone.

Once the blackouts go away, it's Roku or something else along with the laptop. Done deal.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Very bad decision. If the execs think anybody is going to watch 10 year old reruns of "America's Funniest Video's", or shows like How I Met Your Mother they are in for a rude awakening.
I agree with you on AFV, but HIMYM has a strong following and will probably do alright in syndication for them.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:11 PM
WSI High Priest

On the plus side: one less way of promoting Wrigley Field as a tourist attraction.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

WGN got a national reputation because of their sports first and foremost not the other stuff they are running. Take that out of the equation and they are going to have some very rough times.

Lip
There's a lot of talk in the industry right now that the Cubs are getting ready to leave WGN entirely and sell their TV rights to Fox (WFLD) and their radio rights to CBS (WBBM AM-FM) for a lot more money than Tribune is paying. Without the Cubs as one of their attractions, WGN will have to remake itself on both the TV and radio side, so this might be tied to that.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
What's the difference between mlb.tv and extra innings. Do they have NHL and NBA versions? I'd get a roku if I had to.
MLB.tv is about HALF the price as MLB Extra Innings. Plus, some you get all games (home and away feed) in HD. Some cable systems with Extra Innings don't offer this.

The last 2 years, I got mlb.tv around Fathers Day for $50 for the entire rest of the season. If they offer this again this year, that's one option if you're on a budget but are willing to spend $50.

I watch MLB.tv through a Roku and the picture quality is great....but that depends on your Internet download speed.

In addition to Roku and Apple TV, some smart TVs and Blu Ray players have mlb.tv available.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
If true, bummer. Every year I consider getting MLB Extra Innings, but I tell myself I could hardly watch more than one full game a week anyway, so the WGN games are enough. But I can't watch NO White Sox games. I guess I need to look into MLB Extra Innings. It's expensive, I think!

Also, the Score was reporting the same, although it didn't include any info on the source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Not good for us out of towners, MLB package you will have a new customer next year.
This is exactly why MLB wants to end Sox and Cubs games being shown nationally on "WGN America".
Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
There's a lot of talk in the industry right now that the Cubs are getting ready to leave WGN entirely and sell their TV rights to Fox (WFLD) and their radio rights to CBS (WBBM AM-FM) for a lot more money than Tribune is paying. Without the Cubs as one of their attractions, WGN will have to remake itself on both the TV and radio side, so this might be tied to that.
Ed Sherman's column in the Trib today says they WBBM-AM deal is basically done. Wow.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
My uneducated guess though is that MLB had nothing to do with this, that it was purely a decision made by Tribune Company.

Seeing how that snowball already started down the mountain when WGN pulled the plug on airing the 9 O'Clock News nationwide earlier this year, I tend to agree with you.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 PM
WSI Guru

KBA:

I'd be surprised if they went to WFLD (which for years was a Sox station). I'm hearing they want their own network and that Kaplan is angling for a major role in it.

Lip
Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I agree with you on AFV, but HIMYM has a strong following and will probably do alright in syndication for them.
Reggie:

You can't run a network on one show. Look at their overall lineup of shows they are running...it's God awful.

Lip
Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Is anyone that surprised that Big Bang Theory (or whatever comedy) reruns gets better ratings nationally that Sox games? It's a business decision pure and simple and I'm surprised it took them that long to figure it out.

Blackout rules won't change until the regional sports network bubble bursts, which actually may be in the next 5 years or so.

Last edited by Brian26; 05-31-2014 at 12:09 AM.