White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 05:16 PM
WSI Regular

Default WGN America to drop Sox, Cubs, other sports

So says Crain's Chicago Business, though the article seems thinly sourced, relying on remarks that Tribune's CEO made at a conference. No clarification from either Tribune Co., the station, or the teams.

This appears to only affect the national WGN cable feed, not the local Chicago signal, but the article doesn't say that definitively or put any timetable on the change.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

If true, bummer. Every year I consider getting MLB Extra Innings, but I tell myself I could hardly watch more than one full game a week anyway, so the WGN games are enough. But I can't watch NO White Sox games. I guess I need to look into MLB Extra Innings. It's expensive, I think!

Also, the Score was reporting the same, although it didn't include any info on the source.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
If true, bummer. Every year I consider getting MLB Extra Innings, but I tell myself I could hardly watch more than one full game a week anyway, so the WGN games are enough. But I can't watch NO White Sox games. I guess I need to look into MLB Extra Innings. It's expensive, I think!

Also, the Score was reporting the same, although it didn't include any info on the source.
I recommend getting a Roku box or an Apple TV and subscribing to MLB.tv.

Anticipated next game: Opening Day
Old 05-30-2014, 05:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Not good for us out of towners, MLB package you will have a new customer next year.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
This is what I do. Cheaper than Extra Innings and you get radio feeds, too.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
Good tip, thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This would be terrible. I'm moving to Atlanta in July and I need my Chicago sports, even if it's just once a week. It's how I "survived" going to college down state. Not a happy camper right now.

What's the difference between mlb.tv and extra innings. Do they have NHL and NBA versions? I'd get a roku if I had to.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 PM
WSI Guru

Very bad decision. If the execs think anybody is going to watch 10 year old reruns of "America's Funniest Video's", or shows like How I Met Your Mother they are in for a rude awakening.

WGN got a national reputation because of their sports first and foremost not the other stuff they are running. Take that out of the equation and they are going to have some very rough times.

Oh for the good old days when the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Cubs, White Sox, Rangers, Rockies ad Dodgers were all on Superstations.

The MLB Extra innings package is simply to expensive for me so I'm S.O.L. I guess.

Lip
Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This would be terrible. I'm moving to Atlanta in July and I need my Chicago sports, even if it's just once a week. It's how I "survived" going to college down state. Not a happy camper right now.

What's the difference between mlb.tv and extra innings. Do they have NHL and NBA versions? I'd get a roku if I had to.
The primary difference between mlb.tv and extra innings is that on MLB.tv, games are streamed through the internet while extra innings is broadcasted via cable providers or satellite. NHL (Game Center Live) and NBA (League Pass Broadband) do have their own versions. Roku has several different versions of their box, so if you decide to go that route, make sure that the version you choose supports those services. Apple TV supports all three services.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Very bad decision. If the execs think anybody is going to watch 10 year old reruns of "America's Funniest Video's", or shows like How I Met Your Mother they are in for a rude awakening.

WGN got a national reputation because of their sports first and foremost not the other stuff they are running. Take that out of the equation and they are going to have some very rough times.

Oh for the good old days when the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, Cubs, White Sox, Rangers, Rockies ad Dodgers were all on Superstations.

The MLB Extra innings package is simply to expensive for me so I'm S.O.L. I guess.

Lip
I'm guessing the decision was from MLB and not WGN America. If so, I agree, that would make little sense.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:47 PM
WSI Guru

Spivack:

I've contacted my friends in the Sox front office about this. When I get something back I'll share it.

My uneducated guess though is that MLB had nothing to do with this, that it was purely a decision made by Tribune Company.

-------------------------

That being said perhaps someone can give me more information about Roku.

My wife is on a work assignment in Seattle, she comes home once a month for three or four days and in her apartment she has a Roku which enables her to stream things off the internet through her TV. She likes it. BUT don't you have to have a fast enough internet system to do this?

Right now at the house here in Idaho, we have DirecTV and our internet is through CenturyLink. For example we can get You Tube videos through our Wii via our computer. But when I've tried to watch things like "Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League," or the White Sox games that were on You Tube at one time from the 80's, the picture kept freezing and the wheel would appear in the middle of the screen trying to download that video.

So I'm guessing Roku and MLB.tv is useless unless you have the internet capacity to handle it correct???

Thanks for any info on this from anybody.

Lip
Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 PM
WSI Personality

Damn! I'm an old geezer, born and raised on the South Side, and I really look forward to Sox games on WGN America.

A little help, please...I have an IPad, so if I purchase Apple TV and MLB tv, I'll be able to stream Sox games on an internet capable tv, right? Will I get Hawk and Stoney?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

END THE GODDAMN BLACKOUT RULES NOW!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Spivack:

I've contacted my friends in the Sox front office about this. When I get something back I'll share it.

My uneducated guess though is that MLB had nothing to do with this, that it was purely a decision made by Tribune Company.

-------------------------

That being said perhaps someone can give me more information about Roku.

My wife is on a work assignment in Seattle, she comes home once a month for three or four days and in her apartment she has a Roku which enables her to stream things off the internet through her TV. She likes it. BUT don't you have to have a fast enough internet system to do this?

Right now at the house here in Idaho, we have DirecTV and our internet is through CenturyLink. For example we can get You Tube videos through our Wii via our computer. But when I've tried to watch things like "Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League," or the White Sox games that were on You Tube at one time from the 80's, the picture kept freezing and the wheel would appear in the middle of the screen trying to download that video.

So I'm guessing Roku and MLB.tv is useless unless you have the internet capacity to handle it correct???

Thanks for any info on this from anybody.

Lip
Lip, I think roku recommends a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps to stream high definition video.

I have the original Roku and I do have the ability to add MLB.tv to my channels. There have been newer channels that will not work with my Roku, however. When I first got mine, probably 3-4 years ago, I was streaming via wifi and had issues with download speeds. Once I hardwired my roku via ethernet, the problem went away. Of course, I didn't have the speeds I'm supposed to have now. Comcast is my ISP.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 PM
WSI Regular

This is horrible news. especially for those of us just on the fringe of Chicagoland. Hopefully another channel will pick the games up, that we can get out here. We already have trouble getting WCIU games, making this a bigger blow. And I'm in the blackout zone, so can't get it on MLB.