White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 01:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Noesi has that slow-motion delivery - who has that - Colon maybe?
Old 05-29-2014, 01:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Since when he whined?

He's playing 1B because he's the best option between a hurt Abreu and Paul Konerko who really should not be on the team
I don't recall any whining from Dunn either. Up until yesterday, Dunn's defense surprisingly hasn't really hurt us. However, that throw was pretty brutal yesterday and probably cost Belisario a save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
Is the Belisario nonsense over yet?
To be fair, Belisario would have gotten that save if it wasn't for Dunn's error. I also found Robin's decision to intentionally walk Giambi to be questionable. Yan Gomes is clearly the superior hitter but because Giambi has been a Sox killer, he chose to have Belisario face Gomes who is hits about .100 points higher than Giambi. It's also never a good idea to put the go ahead run on base. It's one thing to not let a guy like Miguel Cabrera or Mike Trout beat you. In a situation like that, I would approve of the IBB. However, the 43 year old Giambi is another matter. Although, to be a closer, Belisario is going to have to pitch over mistakes like this sometimes. The pitch to Gomes was a fastball that he left out over the plate.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
There's something about Noesi's delivery that reminds me of Freddy Garcia.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:42 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I've wondered why Dunn has been playing so much first base.
My host at the game yesterday pointed out how Dunn looks like one of the Gas House Gorillas.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Sweaty Freddy.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Belisario would have gotten that save if it wasn't for Dunn's error. I also found Robin's decision to intentionally walk Giambi to be questionable.
You're being generous to Robin by calling the move merely questionable. Putting the go ahead run on base while choosing to pitch to an all-around better hitter was a pretty dumb move in my opinion (although not as dumb as Michael Bourn's sacrifice bunt with one out in the 8th inning).
Old 05-29-2014, 02:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
You're being generous to Robin by calling the move merely questionable. Putting the go ahead run on base while choosing to pitch to an all-around better hitter was a pretty dumb move in my opinion (although not as dumb as Michael Bourn's sacrifice bunt with one out in the 8th inning).
Giambi homered a two-strike pitch to give the Indians an early lead. Giambi was a threat to give the Indians the lead. I could see where walking Giambi would have been considered the more conservative move. I wouldn't have walked Giambi, but at the same time I didn't like the matchup of Belisario. As it turned out, the two-out hit came on a two-strike pitch. It may have been Dunn's fault that the Sox weren't out of the inning with a double play, although no error was charged because it was a ground out where the Sox failed to get an additional out on the bases. Before the intentional walk, the only runner on base was a runner Belisario failed to retire.

I am not a fan of intentional walks in general, but after Garcia stole second in the ninth, I expected the Indians to put Semien on to bring up Sierra with men on first and second. Maybe the Indians thought they could get Semien to strike out without throwing strikes.

As for Bourn's sacrifice bunt, I am surprised he got credit for a sacrifice in that situation. With one out, and his speed, I think his intent the intent was to reach base. Official scorers used to be more hard-line about such things. For years players who thought scorers wronged them used to call the scorers to complain (at least going back to Ron Santo). Now I have heard that some agents go to the MLB office to try to get scoring changes, which sometimes the league office issues. However, I don't know if that's true.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think Ventura felt that Giambi was a bigger risk at that moment to beat us than somebody who has better numbers as a hitter following him. It is easy to look at numbers and know what the right call should be. For all we know pitching to Giambi would have cost us the game... he's done it before, and not just as a young man.

Of course, a computer could manage the team better in theory but I prefer a human who can think and be creative and weigh intangibles. Of course, if they want to computerize the strike zone I would have no argument with that. No creative thinking required there.