White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
But don't you see you're doing the same, exact thing? How is it any different for you to insult others by calling them the "PC Police?" What right do you have to tell people what they can and can't be offended or insulted by and frankly, why would it bother you one way or the other?
It bothers me in a way that freedom of speech is under attack by the PC Police. Say something the PC Police deems offensive and then you have to apologize, pay a fine, go to sensitivity rehab or forced to sell your business.

I can call them the PC Police because I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with what they are saying, I'm labeling what they are doing. By the way, I'm not surprised the PC Police would be offended or insulted by being labeled, they are pretty easy to offend.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
It bothers me in a way that freedom of speech is under attack by the PC Police. Say something the PC Police deems offensive and then you have to apologize, pay a fine, go to sensitivity rehab or forced to sell your business.

I can call them the PC Police because I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with what they are saying, I'm labeling what they are doing. By the way, I'm not surprised the PC Police would be offended or insulted by being labeled, they are pretty easy to offend.
Facing consequences for actions or words said doesn't mean one is under attack (or if so, are undeserving of such).

Freedom of speech does not mean saying whatever you want without facing consequences. It only means that you are legally able to say it.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Facing consequences for actions or words said doesn't mean one is under attack (or if so, are undeserving of such).

Freedom of speech does not mean saying whatever you want without facing consequences. It only means that you are legally able to say it.
And, more specifically, it only means the government can't prevent you from saying it. Private employers and other entities can lock down speech. For example, one can generally be terminated from private employment for expressing opinion.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It has nothing to do with the PC Police, whatever that is. People complaining about PC Police one day are accused of being PC Police on another.

If you're in a business where you want to attract customers, a good business strategy is to offend as few people as possible. I have been to cemeteries on Memorial Day. If as a journalist I shared with people in the group gathered for the occasion that the real meaning of Memorial Day was really about barbecues and baseball, having to apologize would be the least painful of my expected consequences.

Perhaps because Twitter limits communications to 140 characters -- there being so many unnecessary words, I guess -- the White Sox phrased a message in a way that offended some of the people in their potential fanbase by suggesting the meaning of Memorial Day had changed, it now being about barbecues and baseball. That is what this is about. It is irrelevant that for some people it has, and someone who holds Memorial Day sacred knowing this will only be more offended with the tweet reminding them.

The people the tweet offended were among the people previous tweets from baseball and the White Sox were playing up to. Baseball celebrates Memorial Day. It doesn't want to be seen as displacing the Memorial Day people revere.

I wasn't offended. What people say doesn't bother me. I wasn't even offended by anything Ozzie Guillen ever said or thought that he needed to shut up, although I could see where a few apologies were necessary during the Guillen years. Trigger the language filter in berating me while responding to my post, and you won't offend me.

But this has nothing to do with freedom of speech or the PC Police. This is public relations 101.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm offended that people love the US but have no clue what one of our dearest freedoms, freedom of speech, actually means.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I'm offended that people love the US but have no clue what one of our dearest freedoms, freedom of speech, actually means.
I am offended by the erosion of First Amendment rights, the discussion of which would be political, but having to apologize for a tweet that could be construed as offensive, or for that matter a league disciplining an owner of a team who offended a large segment of its fanbase, has absolutely nothing to do with First Amendment rights.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:22 PM
WSI High Priest

If this tweet caused so much uproar, people are going to really go ballistic on Thanksgiving when NFL teams tweet something practically identical.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Nobody forced the White Sox to apologize. In fact, the "PC Police" never force anyone to do anything. They are merely exercising their freedom of speech, but that seems to be a problem with you. Fortunately, you are free to complain about their freedom of speech as much as you want.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:46 PM
WSI High Priest

As some others have mentioned in this thread- there is no real "PC Police"- the "PC Police" = the free market- people/companies/candidates for office typically succumb to any backlash because they don't want to lose customers, votes, etc.

The free market gives and the free market takes- that's the way it is in a free market.

There is no "free speech" issue- no one is being threatened with jail for what they are saying/writing-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-28-2014, 02:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
If this tweet caused so much uproar, people are going to really go ballistic on Thanksgiving when NFL teams tweet something practically identical.
If it has the potential of causing the NFL to lose money, the NFL will issue an apology. The NFL can get away with harboring violent criminals while it markets violence, and it doesn't seem to hurt business.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney;3130158[B
]If this tweet caused so much uproar[/B], people are going to really go ballistic on Thanksgiving when NFL teams tweet something practically identical.
But, did it really cause all that much uproar? Did it? All I've heard is that some people said the Sox missed the point about the meaning of Memorial Day and the team tweeted a simple apology.

Has this been all over the media? Are their protests at the Cell? Calls to boycott the Sox over this?

There's no "uproar" over this other than the debate going on in this thread.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
But, did it really cause all that much uproar? Did it? All I've heard is that some people said the Sox missed the point about the meaning of Memorial Day and the team tweeted a simple apology.

Has this been all over the media? Are their protests at the Cell? Calls to boycott the Sox over this?

There's no "uproar" over this other than the debate going on in this thread.
And I haven't really heard anyone seriously complaining about it. I only heard about the tweet because the Sox immediately corrected themselves.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Are the Christmas decorations in the stores yet?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

What DID we do 30 years ago when PC was just coming out? As in Personal Computer?? We live in an increasingly thin skinned society

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
What DID we do 30 years ago when PC was just coming out? As in Personal Computer?? We live in an increasingly thin skinned society
We could be, but 30 years ago, most people still didn't have access to opinions of complete strangers. It could just be that since it's easier for opinions to get out now, more people seem to be offended and so others are forced to consider things more carefully.