White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
As a member of the American Apple Pie Bakers Association (AAPBA) and National Parade Planners Commission (NPPC) I am offended and disappointed that apple pies and parades were not included in the White Sox' narrow minded vision of Memorial Day and demand an apology.
I support your movement.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
There is a very political reason why we celebrate these holidays in the manner we do that I'm going to leave out of the thread for obvious reasons, but I will say this-people have very little free time these days to do the things they enjoy like grilling with friends and family and going to baseball games. I don't begrudge anybody for spending a federal holiday doing things that make them happy instead of sitting at home and being sad about something they can't change.
This is even more so the case when you do not have a close friend or family member who was killed in combat.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Somebody is going to be offended by everything. To me, I don't personally care either way, but I can see how some would be offended by the whole idea of wearing (and selling) camo uniforms. You can call it an honor, or you can say that baseball shouldn't take military stuff for their own use. See this article for more on this idea:http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomwatso...-gone-too-far/
Old 05-27-2014, 01:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Which many appear to be solemnly enjoying with a hot dog and a sporting event.
Of course- it just means understanding how many people are mourning/grieving on Memorial Day and taking that into account for your marketing message, etc.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."

Last edited by TomBradley72; 05-27-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 PM
WSI Regular

A couple of things:

First, I don't think the tweet was "offensive," and I think it's unlikely people were actually offended. I do think the tweet was in bad taste and should be apologized for.

"Memorial Day means baseball and BBQ!" eh, that's not very good taste. I think it's FINE that people enjoy baseball and have barbecues on Memorial Day, but that's not what the day MEANS. The day exists because people have died so that we have the freedom to enjoy baseball and barbecue.

Second, I appreciate the apology from the White Sox: "We are sorry that one of our posts from earlier today made it seem as if we were insensitive to the true meaning of Memorial Day. That was not our intent, and we hope fans know how much we appreciate the sacrifices our veterans and service men and women have made to preserve our freedoms."

It's not a "we're sorry to anyone that was offended by our statement." It's recognizing that what was sent in the tweet was not a particularly good decision, owning the mistake, and clarifying what the intent was.

No one believes the White Sox are insensitive to the military or the memories of those who died. But it's also OK to say you are sorry when you know you have used bad judgment.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
A couple of things:

First, I don't think the tweet was "offensive," and I think it's unlikely people were actually offended. I do think the tweet was in bad taste and should be apologized for.

"Memorial Day means baseball and BBQ!" eh, that's not very good taste. I think it's FINE that people enjoy baseball and have barbecues on Memorial Day, but that's not what the day MEANS. The day exists because people have died so that we have the freedom to enjoy baseball and barbecue.

Second, I appreciate the apology from the White Sox: "We are sorry that one of our posts from earlier today made it seem as if we were insensitive to the true meaning of Memorial Day. That was not our intent, and we hope fans know how much we appreciate the sacrifices our veterans and service men and women have made to preserve our freedoms."

It's not a "we're sorry to anyone that was offended by our statement." It's recognizing that what was sent in the tweet was not a particularly good decision, owning the mistake, and clarifying what the intent was.

No one believes the White Sox are insensitive to the military or the memories of those who died. But it's also OK to say you are sorry when you know you have used bad judgment.
Well said. I don't think their tweet was really offensive at all. But, then again, I don't have any family members who died while service our country.

Also, what exactly was the reaction to this? I didn't see any specifics of what was said to the Sox. The OP said "some were offended", but it's not like this caused a media firestorm or anything...at least not that I've heard. Was this a matter of some vets or family members of vets respectfully replying to the Sox that they shouldn't forget the true meaning of Memorial Day? If so, no need for all the "OMG! PC Police!" replies in this thread.

It's true that many of us have lost sight of the true meaning of some of our holidays. Memorial Day and Labor Day have become 3-day weekend bookends to the summer with no other meaning. We used to celebrate Lincoln's and/or Washington's birthday. I believe the federal holiday is still officially called "Washington's Birthday", but everyone calls it by the generic "Presidents Day" name now and it's just become a day off for schools and govt offices with little thought to those 2 great leaders of our country.

So, some people replied on Twitter that the Sox should remember the true meaning of Memorial Day. So what? Instead of feeling like the PC goon squad is hounding everyone, maybe we should all just and see this as a small reminder of what this holiday is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Veterans Day is observed correctly, but that's also a day to celebrate the Veterans who are still with us. Memorial Day is about those who lost their lives and it is simply shameful how most of the idiots who go out and get drunk on the day mark that day.

Congratulations to America for turning Memorial Day into the number 1 day for DUI's. Those who gave their lives would be proud.

In all honesty, Memorial Day should be moved midweek with the express purpose of ending this ****. Let July 4th be the drunken party. That day is one where celebration is merited.
I'm sure you know this, but before 1971, Memorial Day was celebrated on May 30 no matter what day of the week it fell on.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe not the best analogy, but many people make fun of their forgetfulness by blaming on their ahem "Alzheimer's" ....my Mom died 7 years ago of this and to see her go from a active vibrant healthy woman down to a skinny, bedridden woman who didn't recognize her own family is beyond sad....yet I never resented anyone's remarks as they didn't know. I guess you would have to be in someone's shoes who lost a loved one in a war. I think we can all agree there was no intent on disrespect.

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 05-27-2014, 03:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This is kind of hypocritical, is it not? You're essentially saying when other people voice an opinion on a certain topic that you disagree with, that qualifies as "cyber-bullying" but when you dictate to people how they are allowed to react to things as being "the PC Police," that's just fine and dandy.

FWIW, I'm not personally offended by what the Sox tweeted, I have pretty thick skin and I try not to let stuff get to me like that, BUT I can also understand how some people might interpret that as, if not offesive, at least in poor taste.
The PC police are often Cyber Bullies that deem something offensive or too unconventional, then take to the internet to blast the person, often jumping to irrational conclusions without putting the "offensive" comment or action in it's proper context. There is a group think mentality as opposed to a free mind mentality.

Memorial Day is what it is, but to a lot of people it's the Indy 500 weekend, others it's grilling with family, others it's a chance to pay homage to soldiers that have died in the line of duty. Free minds can except whatever they want that weekend to be.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Isn't going out and doing what you want a better tribute to the people who died for our right to do just that, which would include bbqing and baseball, than to sit at home and be somber all day?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:17 PM
WSI High Priest

I just want to make sure that fans know that the Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf have supported our military in a very tangible way since 9/11....free baseball tickets to any active service member.

My son, who was in the army from 2004-10 always would attend games when he was home on leave. We had a great time together at ballgames.

I will always appreciate how the Sox have contributed to our military in this fashion.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:22 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I'm sure you know this, but before 1971, Memorial Day was celebrated on May 30 no matter what day of the week it fell on.
We're all responsible for how we observe this day but the comment above shows the concern the United States Congress had in observance of this day. Rather than leave this as a dedicated day that had special meaning it was shuffled to the last Monday in May so that it would be part of a 3 day weekend. Three day weekends are prone to family and friends getting together and enjoying one another's company. We all plan cookouts and some sort of recreation be it watching a ballgame or doing some group activity. Whether you went to the cemetery in the morning and planted a flag on a grave, watched a ceremony on the morning news or just said a silent thank you prayer most of us went on about our business and had a celebration with those we care about who are still with us. The Sox did their part with the pre game dedication and then allowed everyone to cheer and boo as the game was played. It's not like they planned the pre game in response to what some thought was an inappropriate tweet. We're all appreciative of the fact that we have the freedom to do this and we're grateful to those who lost their lives in defending this freedom but we're just as grateful to those who came back to spend the rest of their lives with us.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Veterans Day is observed correctly, but that's also a day to celebrate the Veterans who are still with us. Memorial Day is about those who lost their lives and it is simply shameful how most of the idiots who go out and get drunk on the day mark that day.

Congratulations to America for turning Memorial Day into the number 1 day for DUI's. Those who gave their lives would be proud.

In all honesty, Memorial Day should be moved midweek with the express purpose of ending this ****. Let July 4th be the drunken party. That day is one where celebration is merited.
Didn't they give their lives so people could throw parties with friends on a three day weekend if they want?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:13 AM
WSI Personality

The number of people overreacting and spamming a message board complaining about the PC police for expressing an opinion on the internet is hilarious.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
The PC police are often Cyber Bullies that deem something offensive or too unconventional, then take to the internet to blast the person, often jumping to irrational conclusions without putting the "offensive" comment or action in it's proper context. There is a group think mentality as opposed to a free mind mentality.
But don't you see you're doing the same, exact thing? How is it any different for you to insult others by calling them the "PC Police?" What right do you have to tell people what they can and can't be offended or insulted by and frankly, why would it bother you one way or the other?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM
WSI Personality

Know what's actually offensive? Baseball players playing army-man dress-up by wearing mock camouflage and then claiming it honors the troops. What the military does is serious, dangerous business, and styling a friggin sports uniform to look like a military uniform makes a mockery of both parties.

Wear a black arm band next year and let's lose the dress-up playtime.
Closed Thread