White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm pretty sure in Social Media 101, one of the first rules you learn is trying to pimp your multi-billion dollar business on the back of what is supposed to be a day of solemn remembrance for men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to their country, is a bad idea.
Of course the point is solemn reflection. The fact is that essentially every holiday's initial point is solemn reflection. That is not what they are, currently. No harm intended, and intent is everything.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:37 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm pretty sure in Social Media 101, one of the first rules you learn is trying to pimp your multi-billion dollar business on the back of what is supposed to be a day of solemn remembrance for men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to their country, is a bad idea.
100% correct. As someone who works in social media for a major brand, I can tell you one of our rules of thumb is to not post anything on a day like Memorial Day. Even if a product or service is relevant to the holiday, it's important to let the day stand for it's true meaning, honoring our nation's veterans, rather than using it for promotional reasons.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I heard a radio ad the other day that insisted the meaning of Memorial Day is buying furniture. I wasn't offended, though, just amused.

I wouldn't have been offended by the White Sox tweet, even if I cared about tweets. But if I were the White Sox, I would have to be be concerned if a promotional tweet was found insensitive. I wouldn't want to alienate fans.

I don't know if the tweet was insensitive as today's visiting team mascot, but if I'm the White Sox, that isn't my problem.
It's interesting how the "offensiveness" (lack thereof) of this tweet ties in to the visitor's mascot. But nobody will make the connection, nor care. And I don't even think I'm allowed to explain it here, either *sigh*.

It's unfortunate that the loudest voices are the ones that get listened to, and get to write the rules. Alternate opinions are sometimes shut down and can't be voiced.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 AM
WSI Personality

I think whoever tweeted this obviously isn't a vet. I find it very offensive. Memorial day isn't about BBQ's and baseball, it's about guys who gave up their lives in a war. In a way I find it more sickening that MLB trys to act like they care about the military yet they keep guys like Cecil Travis and Johnny Pesky out of The Hall of Fame. Guys like them should not be forgotten.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 AM
WSI High Priest

I wonder how many of the offended watched baseball and/or bbq'd. To me, that would be a bit hypocritical.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 AM
WSI Personality

What a society we have become, to be offended by THIS, my god....
Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 AM
WSI High Priest

No matter what you do or say, somebody somewhere will be offended. The real problem is people who act as if being offended is a crime.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I heard a radio ad the other day that insisted the meaning of Memorial Day is buying furniture. I wasn't offended, though, just amused.

I wouldn't have been offended by the White Sox tweet, even if I cared about tweets. But if I were the White Sox, I would have to be be concerned if a promotional tweet was found insensitive. I wouldn't want to alienate fans.

I don't know if the tweet was insensitive as today's visiting team mascot, but if I'm the White Sox, that isn't my problem.
TDog for the win! I think this covers it all pretty succinctly.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Banned

It's not offensive, but it is pretty ****ing stupid. I would say that the way most people celebrate Memorial Day indicates that they have no damn clue what the day is supposed to be about. What is supposed to be a day of solemn remembrance has instead turned into a day for people to get drunk and act like idiots. I cringe each time I hear "Happy Memorial Day."
Old 05-27-2014, 08:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
Every tweet that any corporation posts should come with "sorry to anyone anyone this offends" in parenthesis. I see things every day that offend me and just move on.
Any statement, written, spoken or whatever, that anybody makes about anything whatsoever should be proceeded by the bolded. That is what is has come to.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Memorial Day means different thimgs for many people....nothing wrong w/the Tweet, we are waAAY too PC these days

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Memorial Day means different thimgs for many people....nothing wrong w/the Tweet, we are waAAY too PC these days
Agreed. Memorial Day should be a day you take a moment to think about those lost in war, but also to celebrate the freedom we have because of them. There's nothing wrong with saying Happy Memorial Day. What is everyone supposed to do? Close the blinds, wear black, and cry all day? The Sox did a fine job yesterday, and they have nothing to apologize about.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 AM
WSI Personality

This has to be from The Onion, right? This can't be real life. The White Sox played the INDIANS yesterday and this is what's offensive. Really?

(And for the record, yes, Memorial Day has become a baseball and BBQ holiday in addition to being a day of remembrance. And that's okay! It doesn't take anything away from the intended meaning of the day. Just be thankful that it hasn't become an orgy of alcohol, fireworks, and violence like a certain other ostensibly important American holiday).
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
This has to be from The Onion, right? This can't be real life. The White Sox played the INDIANS yesterday and this is what's offensive. Really?

(And for the record, yes, Memorial Day has become a baseball and BBQ holiday in addition to being a day of remembrance. And that's okay! It doesn't take anything away from the intended meaning of the day. Just be thankful that it hasn't become an orgy of alcohol, fireworks, and violence like a certain other ostensibly important American holiday).
Actually, it sort of does and that's a real shame. A day that is meant to honor the dead shouldn't be spent with drunken idiocy and parties.

The Sox tweet and the actions of others are not offensive, but it does demonstrate that the meaning of the day is lost upon most people.

Last edited by gobears1987; 05-27-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post

Many winning posts in this thread, but I like this one as the winner. Couldn't agree more.

I am getting offended by people getting offended.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Closed Thread