White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Default White Sox apologize for borderline insensitive tweets

Before the game, their Twitter handle posted this:
Quote:
Memorial Day means BBQ and baseball! #WhiteSox are in action vs the Indians at 1:10 CT on @CSNChicago and @MLBTV: http://atmlb.com/1w8K0Mg
Some were offended by the part in bold, so they were prompted to respond with these:

Quote:
(1/3) We are sorry that one of our posts from earlier today made it seem as if we were insensitive to the true meaning of Memorial Day.
Quote:
(2/3) That was not our intent, and we hope fans know how much we appreciate the sacrifices our veterans
Quote:
(3/3) and service men and women have made to preserve our freedoms.
Guess the lesson here is think long and hard when making light of something that means so much more to a lot of people.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 PM
WSI Personality

Default What?

They had to apologize for that? BBQ and baseball are part of Memorial Day. I would think that it is safe to say that the White Sox support the military.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:16 PM
WSI Personality

I don't think the Sox should have had to apologize for this. We have reached the point where everything said offends someone. Holidays for the most part have lost their meaning (Memorial Day = unofficial start of summer, Thanksgiving = Black Friday, and Christmas = presents).

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
We have reached the point where everything said offends someone.
Yes, it's like this is a technologically well-connected, diverse society in which millions of different people have millions of different opinions and reactions to different events, messages, etc. Ultimately, it was a dumb tweet, not the dumbest tweet in the history of tweets, but a dumb one nonetheless.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yes, it's like this is a technologically well-connected, diverse society in which millions of different people have millions of different opinions and reactions to different events, messages, etc. Ultimately, it was a dumb tweet, not the dumbest tweet in the history of tweets, but a dumb one nonetheless.
I get that people have different opinions and sensitivity levels, but there really isn't anything to be offended about there. It's not like they said that it's the true meaning of the day or anything like that, and let's be fair, millions of people spent the day grilling and watching baseball today. It's the same way with the 4th of July.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't think the Sox should have had to apologize for this. We have reached the point where everything said offends someone. Holidays for the most part have lost their meaning (Memorial Day = unofficial start of summer, Thanksgiving = Black Friday, and Christmas = presents).
I heard a radio ad the other day that insisted the meaning of Memorial Day is buying furniture. I wasn't offended, though, just amused.

I wouldn't have been offended by the White Sox tweet, even if I cared about tweets. But if I were the White Sox, I would have to be be concerned if a promotional tweet was found insensitive. I wouldn't want to alienate fans.

I don't know if the tweet was insensitive as today's visiting team mascot, but if I'm the White Sox, that isn't my problem.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Every tweet that any corporation posts should come with "sorry to anyone anyone this offends" in parenthesis. I see things every day that offend me and just move on.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:55 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
I get that people have different opinions and sensitivity levels, but there really isn't anything to be offended about there. It's not like they said that it's the true meaning of the day or anything like that, and let's be fair, millions of people spent the day grilling and watching baseball today. It's the same way with the 4th of July.
I agree with this, but I have also never lost a beloved family member of friend in defense of the United States of America, so I am not in a position to say one way or the other
Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 PM
WSI Guru

I think folks get offended a little too easily these days. It seems pretty clear to me there was no malicious intent behind this tweet, but some people are just so eager to tsk-tsk others about various things.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Before the game, their Twitter handle posted this:

Some were offended by the part in bold, so they were prompted to respond with these:

Guess the lesson here is think long and hard when making light of something that means so much more to a lot of people.
I haven't read any other replies to this yet, and I will do so after I post my thoughts. This is beyond ridiculous, and no apology was necessary. The "political correctness" has reached ridiculous levels. It's a baseball Twitter handle, so of course it's pimping baseball. Nothing in that tweet disrespects the meaning of the day. Unreal.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 05-26-2014, 11:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I think folks get offended a little too easily these days. It seems pretty clear to me there was no malicious intent behind this tweet, but some people are just so eager to tsk-tsk others about various things.
Agreed. People need to relax these days and focus on more pressing issues than someone mentioning two things commonly associated with this holiday. For someone to think the Sox do not respect our military seems absurd.

These same people complaining will hopefully learn a valuable lesson about how silly they are acting.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Agree with others who said the initial tweet was nothing more than a simple shrug and that we've gotten too easily offended as a society. The moral of the story is you're not going to make friends with everybody for what you say. Some are just wound too tight to allow others to make light of a meaningful day without voicing their opinions. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.

I also have a feeling this might not have gotten such a reaction if it weren't for the increased attention the military has gotten post-9/11. Don't get me wrong. I love what these men and women have done for our country and our freedom, but eventually, it's going to get to a point where some people eat up enough of it that even the slightest jab at anything related is as bad as burning a bunch of crucifixes in a church parking lot. Sometimes, the country needs to slow down a bit when building something up.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 PM
WSI Personality

Default Have to agree about the mascots

Team names like the Indians, Braves, and Redskins have to go. And their related mascots. niles West did it, why cannot professional teams get it?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Every tweet that any corporation posts should come with "sorry to anyone anyone this offends" in parenthesis. I see things every day that offend me and just move on.
I'm pretty sure in Social Media 101, one of the first rules you learn is trying to pimp your multi-billion dollar business on the back of what is supposed to be a day of solemn remembrance for men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to their country, is a bad idea.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Relax, everybody. Jeez.