White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Not really, especially if the team gets good and people actually go to the park. People would have to pay a lot for tix and out of towners still may not know this. Not everyone reads the fine print on stuff.
There will always be $15 lower deck seats and $7 uppers. If the team get's good, yeah, the demand will go up, but not the price. Not sure this year, but last year at the ticket offices there was a huge poster about the $7 seats. They will try to up-sell you, but that's business.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 39m Think our players are fans of these '83 fleece blankets? First 20,000 fans get one 4/12! http://atmlb.com/1luYf80 pic.twitter.com/nobAGFE0Fa

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Danny Ecker ‏@DannyEcker

The orange and blue White Sox cap will only be given out to the first 1,500 fans who buy tix through this link: http://mlb.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/groups/gsg/gsg.jsp?loc=illini
Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 39m Think our players are fans of these '83 fleece blankets? First 20,000 fans get one 4/12! http://atmlb.com/1luYf80 pic.twitter.com/nobAGFE0Fa

Those look cool.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why do all of these promotions push the 83' Logo and Batterman logo? I know they decided to add the 83 unis as a permanent uniform, but it's like they're wanting to get rid of the black/silver uniforms and Old English logo and go back to the 83 uniforms as the preferred brand of the White Sox.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
Why do all of these promotions push the 83' Logo and Batterman logo? I know they decided to add the 83 unis as a permanent uniform, but it's like they're wanting to get rid of the black/silver uniforms and Old English logo and go back to the 83 uniforms as the preferred brand of the White Sox.
I sure hope not.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If they wanted to get rid of the black/silver uniforms and Old English logo and go back to the 83 uniforms as the preferred brand of the White Sox... they would just get rid of the black/silver uniforms and Old English logo and go back to the 83 uniforms as the preferred brand of the White Sox. But they haven't done that. Look at whitesox.com - overwhelming silver/black with the Old English logo. And as far as promotions go, they don't have pictures of them all up yet so it's hard to know for sure, but there are only two (including this one) that they specifically call "1983" promotions. And they didn't wear the 1983 uniforms at all the whole first series, so it hardly seems like they're really pushing it that hard.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
If they wanted to get rid of the black/silver uniforms and Old English logo and go back to the 83 uniforms as the preferred brand of the White Sox... they would just get rid of the black/silver uniforms and Old English logo and go back to the 83 uniforms as the preferred brand of the White Sox. But they haven't done that. Look at whitesox.com - overwhelming silver/black with the Old English logo. And as far as promotions go, they don't have pictures of them all up yet so it's hard to know for sure, but there are only two (including this one) that they specifically call "1983" promotions. And they didn't wear the 1983 uniforms at all the whole first series, so it hardly seems like they're really pushing it that hard.
Not really. They wouldn't want the fan backlash. When they first started with the idea of throwback uniforms, Brooks indicated that they only wanted to reflect teams/uniforms that represented a significant winning achievement in SOX history. That's why they were originally reluctant to wear the early 70s pinstripes.

They keep saying how popular the 83 uniforms are with fans, however it seems as though most of the fans I talk with aren't that crazy about them. They served a purpose at a particular time, and outside of the 83' season which ended prematurely after a great regular season of 99 wins, they don't really represent a winning era of White Sox baseball like the late 50s/early 60s era with the black and red trim pinstripes. I just think JR has a soft spot for the uniforms as they represent his first real mark on the team, outside of the failed Sportsvision.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I hope they keep the black and silver forever. Everyone here knows how much I like the uniforms. That said, I suppose the smart marketing maneuver would to keep the '83 stuff around in a limited form to push it for more money as long as it sells (and the niche market may not last long). I don't mind the throwbacks occassionally. The current uniform set, though, is classic and timeless.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:31 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
They keep saying how popular the 83 uniforms are with fans, however it seems as though most of the fans I talk with aren't that crazy about them. They served a purpose at a particular time, and outside of the 83' season which ended prematurely after a great regular season of 99 wins, they don't really represent a winning era of White Sox baseball like the late 50s/early 60s era with the black and red trim pinstripes. I just think JR has a soft spot for the uniforms as they represent his first real mark on the team, outside of the failed Sportsvision.
Your last point might have merit, but I think the 83 logo is popular outside the diehard fan base who is again who the marketing staff is trying to attract.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I guess it all depends on what kind of fan you talk to. I doubt older fans (or even people who were adults in 1983) are huge fans of those 1983 uniforms, but I know lots of younger people who like them a lot (and I see them wear a lot of the stuff). I have no idea if JR has a soft spot for them or not, but I can promise you that the people who wear the stuff actually like it, they're not doing it out of some sort of tribute to JR.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I guess it all depends on what kind of fan you talk to. I doubt older fans (or even people who were adults in 1983) are huge fans of those 1983 uniforms, but I know lots of younger people who like them a lot (and I see them wear a lot of the stuff). I have no idea if JR has a soft spot for them or not, but I can promise you that the people who wear the stuff actually like it, they're not doing it out of some sort of tribute to JR.
I'm 32, so I was a baby in 1983. I think for most of my peers, and myself, the 83 jerseys are something of a novelty -- they're so unique, and they're "retro" without being so old that they're of another time. That said, as they've become ubiquitous, they're beginning to lose their novelty. I can't speak for the 40+ crowd or the youngins, but for 30-somethings, I think the Sox are verging on running this one into the ground pretty soon.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM
WSI Regular

I'm not crazy about the actual 83 uniforms the team wears, although I am OK with them as an occasional retro throwback.

But I DO really like the retro batterman logo and the block "SOX" on various other gear, like the blanket in question, sweatshirts, jackets, etc.

I know that is probably splitting hairs.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
I'm not crazy about the actual 83 uniforms the team wears, although I am OK with them as an occasional retro throwback.

But I DO really like the retro batterman logo and the block "SOX" on various other gear, like the blanket in question, sweatshirts, jackets, etc.

I know that is probably splitting hairs.
I feel the same way. Always liked the logo when introduced. 1983 unis not so much. I do own several items with the logo.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I understand that no one would wear this merchandise as a tribute to JR, it's just that the SOX organization has decided that this is "the" alternate jersey, cap, etc. to promote. My question is that with such a rich tradition of diverse uniforms, some great and some not so great, why do they continue to promote this particular uniform style?

I can also appreciate that the Old English SOX script is basically the same regardless of the color of the uniforms that it has appeared on over the past 60 years so it's probably not a good marketing idea to make an alternative uniform with the same design. Altough I would love to see an all-white alternate home uniform (no pinstripes)