White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 AM
MMXXIII

Default Facebook data says Sox are Cook County's favorite team

http://deadspin.com/facebook-data-pr...1555222593/all

The Cubs dominate most of Northern Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana but surprise, surprise, look who is #1 in the city.

The Sox also were the favorites in Will, Kankakee, and Lake County, Indiana.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 AM
WSI Personality

The owners of the bad guys on the Northside keep maintaining that 40% of there attendance comes from out of state. The White Sox don't get that type of attendance from the out of staters.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Not surprised, it's like 90% Sox fans here in Lake County, IN. I go to the city and see more Sox gear than Cubs gear. There's more Cub fans in Iowa, Southern Indiana, and North Illinois and South Wisconsin.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Not surprised, it's like 90% Sox fans here in Lake County, IN. I go to the city and see more Sox gear than Cubs gear. There's more Cub fans in Iowa, Southern Indiana, and North Illinois and South Wisconsin.
They're Cardinals fans down there, with a few Reds fans as you go east.

Lake county is pretty 50/50 to be honest.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 AM
WSI Guru

Nome and the North Slope go to the Yankees, but the Northwest Arctic leans toward Boston...
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The owners of the bad guys on the Northside keep maintaining that 40% of there attendance comes from out of state. The White Sox don't get that type of attendance from the out of staters.
Indeed. Had the Tribune company not promoted Wrigley Field as a tourist attraction, we might not be talking about any 100th anniversary celebrations.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 AM
WSI Personality

Interesting study.

I am not from Chicago but I have come to know a few North Side natives who support the Sox as they feel the Sox are the more "Chicago" team. I'd be interested to know if this is a pattern.

I'd also be interested to see this study done at the neighborhood level. In Logan Square (Around Milwaukee/Fullerton, at least) I see more Tigers hats than Cubs/Sox combined.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRomanPizza View Post
Interesting study.

I am not from Chicago but I have come to know a few North Side natives who support the Sox as they feel the Sox are the more "Chicago" team. I'd be interested to know if this is a pattern.
In my experience here on the Nortside (really, pretty much from 7200N to about 1000N is Cubs territory from what I've seen), that is most definitely not the case. Cubs gear is much more prevalent than Sox gear.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
When I was living in Munster, 1967-1979, Munster was solidly Cubs country. Being a White Sox fan put me in a very small minority. Being known as a White Sox fan at Munster High made you a social outcast, so there were probably a few White Sox fans in the closet. That was even true in 1977, when there was more excitement for the Cubs' run that year than the White Sox run that is more fondly remembered among the respective fan bases. And it was true too for the area of Hammond where the family auto parts store was located. All of my grandfather's employees were Cubs fans. During summer afternoons, Cubs games would be playing in the accounting area. I wondered if it was at least in part a class thing because Munster, at the time at least, was more affluent than the rest of Lake County. Still the Times always treated the Cubs as the No. 1 baseball team in its circulation area. When I went down to Bloomington for school, I was in Reds country. Of course, those were the days of the Big Red Machine.

Everywhere else I've lived since, Arizona, Alaska and California, with the exception of suburban Milwaukee, people have to be reminded that the Cubs are not the only major league baseball team.

I was once in Dublin, Ireland, talking to a man from Liverpool, England about sports. Although he had never been to America, he knew that Wrigley Field was to baseball what St. Andrews in Scotland is to golf.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think the obvious reason is 2005 and the teens/20s. Most kids associate more with the white sox due to winning and being kid friendly. I think the younger demographic is driving the Facebook map here.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
When I was living in Munster, 1967-1979, Munster was solidly Cubs country. Being a White Sox fan put me in a very small minority. Being known as a White Sox fan at Munster High made you a social outcast, so there were probably a few White Sox fans in the closet. That was even true in 1977, when there was more excitement for the Cubs' run that year than the White Sox run that is more fondly remembered among the respective fan bases. And it was true too for the area of Hammond where the family auto parts store was located. All of my grandfather's employees were Cubs fans. During summer afternoons, Cubs games would be playing in the accounting area. I wondered if it was at least in part a class thing because Munster, at the time at least, was more affluent than the rest of Lake County. Still the Times always treated the Cubs as the No. 1 baseball team in its circulation area. When I went down to Bloomington for school, I was in Reds country. Of course, those were the days of the Big Red Machine.

Everywhere else I've lived since, Arizona, Alaska and California, with the exception of suburban Milwaukee, people have to be reminded that the Cubs are not the only major league baseball team.

I was once in Dublin, Ireland, talking to a man from Liverpool, England about sports. Although he had never been to America, he knew that Wrigley Field was to baseball what St. Andrews in Scotland is to golf.
Here on the East Coast, I don't have to deal with that very much, since this area (especially before the Nats came to town), NY, and NE all are obviously AL-centric.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
http://deadspin.com/facebook-data-pr...1555222593/all

The Cubs dominate most of Northern Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana but surprise, surprise, look who is #1 in the city.

The Sox also were the favorites in Will, Kankakee, and Lake County, Indiana.
I live in Lake County (Illinois). I like them.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
WSI Personality

Time to take dupage.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:38 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I grew up in Mt. Morris (pop. 3000) about 100 miles direct west of Chicago. It was decisively cub country. In fact, my hatred of the cubs stems from being ripped on for being a Sox fan in my 6th grade class (1985-86) that was all cub apart from me. Before that year I liked both teams with the Sox only being slightly favored. I was just as upset when the cubs lost in '84 as when the Sox lost in '83. After that year I rooted against the cubs every chance I got.